Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts for the Model King Ford F-350 Pickup Kit?

I checked RMR resin and didn't see anything about this there. It could be that they are working on something though.

I agree that it would be nice to have some options for this kit- short bed, extended cab, standard wheelbase long bed etc. Maybe some resin casters will come to the rescue!

Mike Scheve

• 1 year later...

Not that I have seen yet. I haven't started my MK '79 Ford PU kit yet so I am not sure what is required to make it into a shortbed version. There have been a few folks who have taken the kit bed and converted it to the standard wheelbase.

Best of luck on your conversion.

Mike Scheve

Couldn't you just use the bed from one of the 50's Fords? I thought I read that the bed really didn't change on the Fords.

That's the flareside bed (stepside in GM terms). I would like to see the styleside which is the same as the kit but I'd like the short version for the 117" wheelbase. Without checking the brochure, I think the length was 6 3/4 ft.

That's the flareside bed (stepside in GM terms). I would like to see the styleside which is the same as the kit but I'd like the short version for the 117" wheelbase. Without checking the brochure, I think the length was 6 3/4 ft.

Nevermind :P I misunderstood what you were looking for, I get confused with the different names each company uses for with or without fenders. I think I read styleside, and in my mind thought stepside.

I know I've seen people lengthen the bed on the '84 GMC, using two kits. It doesn't look too hard and a short bed from a long bed shouldn't need two kits, but you would have to find out where to make the cuts. I am a little surprised no body seems to sell resin short / long beds for pickups, but I've never seen anyone who does.

One idea I had for doing both a wide shortbed and wide, standard wheelbase longbed is to take the beds from the AMT '92-95 pickup kits (the bed width and wheelbases seem correct), remove the outer fenders from the '90s beds, and then shorten/rearrange the '79 outer rear fenders to fit on the '90s beds...with this approach, I don't have to rework the inside parts of the '79 bed.

The '79 cab also fits the '92 chassis, so I may use the the '92-95 chassis so I don't have to shorten '79 chassis for the right wheelbase.

Strange thoughts, but I think this approach will work for me...though it may be a long time before I finish them.

Edited by Rob Hall

If I recall, the AMT kit is based off the F-350 bed. The wheels wells on these trucks were moved backwards so the truck could use the tow truck frame. The rear ends were narrower than the F-250's; that's why most of the time you see these trucks with wide steel wheels in the rear with 33x 12.50 tires.

Based on the fact that the rear weels are located more to the rear, maybe this is the same distance as the short bed. You'd only have to cut the front of the bed to make it look correctly.

• 2 years later...

I'm working on the Model King Ford F-350 kit converting it to a 73 F-100. The F-350 has the hide-away box on the passenger side of the bed and the wheel well inside the bed is shaped to provide room for the storage box. Does anyone make a conversion kit for the bed to eliminate that box (ie a stock wheel well)? I'm working on scratch-building one, but if the parts are available in resin, I'd rather go that way.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Ed, I think he means there already is the storage/tire compartment/box intruding into the bed on the passenger side. Ive heard of guys using the drivers inner fender well to make a new plain passenger well. and then filling in the compartment lines on the outside of the box. As far as I know I havent seen a resin converison for this, it would save a lot of putty and cutting work. I also wish there was a short box resin verison. The tire storage was onlyh on the Camper Specials I believe, since getting to the spare under the bed would be real hard with a full camper hanging down over the back bumper. Maybe someone else knows of a resin piece?

• 2 months later...

Ed, I think he means there already is the storage/tire compartment/box intruding into the bed on the passenger side. Ive heard of guys using the drivers inner fender well to make a new plain passenger well. and then filling in the compartment lines on the outside of the box. As far as I know I havent seen a resin converison for this, it would save a lot of putty and cutting work. I also wish there was a short box resin verison. The tire storage was onlyh on the Camper Specials I believe, since getting to the spare under the bed would be real hard with a full camper hanging down over the back bumper. Maybe someone else knows of a resin piece?

I have the correct shortbed available in resin and am working on the corrected wheelbase longbed without the side compartment, plus I already have a crewcab and a chopped top version available as well as alot of 1/25th 70's Ford pickup accessories all available in white resin from Blue-Oval-resinworks.com and my Ebay store of the same name. Kenny.

post-5092-12733531454075_thumb.jpg

post-5092-12733531710704_thumb.jpg

post-5092-1273353349077_thumb.jpg

post-5092-12733533945559_thumb.jpg

post-5092-12733534182868_thumb.jpg

is that a '90s ford LTD Crown Vic I see? If so, when will it be available?

Yes, Thanks, it's an 88-91 LTD Crown Victoria Police Cruiser. That pic is about a month old but it's coming along nicely and hopefully will be ready for sale in early June. I'm taking pre-orders for it now. These will be an opening hood type kit,with complete police interior tub, chassis, pushbar, lights,etc., I already have pre-orders for about 30 of them so far. Along with 25 for my 78 LTD Landau 4 door too complete resin kit. My website should be fully operationable by then also.

post-5092-12733770451402_thumb.jpg

post-5092-1273376992276_thumb.jpg

post-5092-12733770889527_thumb.jpg

post-5092-12733771076819_thumb.jpg

I've seen many of your auction Kenny. I gotta say I'm quite impressed with the variety of parts you have for the 70's Ford pickups.

Thanks and there is even more on the way including drivetrains, axles, tires, wheels, step bumpers, rear hitch receivers, lift kits, ultility beds, corrected wheelbase longbed, pushbars, grille guards, etc, etc, etc. with eventually complete kits available too. Here's some current and soon coming attractions.post-5092-12733814861261_thumb.jpg

post-5092-1273381504896_thumb.jpg

post-5092-12733813443059_thumb.jpg

post-5092-12733814009193_thumb.jpg

post-5092-12733813809326_thumb.jpgpost-5092-12733814386993_thumb.jpg