Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts for the Model King Ford F-350 Pickup Kit?

Thanks and there is even more on the way including drivetrains, axles, tires, wheels, step bumpers, rear hitch receivers, lift kits, ultility beds, corrected wheelbase longbed, pushbars, grille guards, etc, etc, etc. with eventually complete kits available too. Here's some current and soon coming attractions.post-5092-12733814861261_thumb.jpg

Do you have plans to do a Super Cab as well?

I owned and restored a 1972 F-250 that was built at the point when the factory was changing from 72's to 73's some of the parts I had to replace on the 72 camper special that I had were standard on the 73 F 250. ie brakes, suspenstion and driveline.

the storage box in question depending on if it was a camper special or not was there,According to LMC Truck when I was ordering parts for the CS's I had them only if they were ordered as such,so your correct either way.

I've always thought the Camper Special Fords of this era were really goofy looking with the rear axle shoved so far back. I've got one of these I'm planning to convert into a regular longbox F-100. I'll get rid of the weird wheelbase, AND theoretically correct the coil spring front suspension by so doing! :D

I started making a short bed and long bed (regular WB) using the short and long bed inner bed structures from the AMT '92-94 style pickups...a lot of cut and paste work to move the wheel well openings on the Camper Special outer rear fenders. Still haven't finished, started about 2 1/2 years ago, got busy. :D

I started making a short bed and long bed (regular WB) using the short and long bed inner bed structures from the AMT '92-94 style pickups...a lot of cut and paste work to move the wheel well openings on the Camper Special outer rear fenders. Still haven't finished, started about 2 1/2 years ago, got busy. smile.gif

Yeah, I know how that goes. I got about 50 or so projects like that. The later model Ford pickup wheelwells and inner sides are quite different from the 70's style beds but I guess someone could use alot of putty to make them match the older style. I prefer to use the older style inner parts and just hack and whack them instead of the later pieces that have to be highly modified. I used 3 beds to make one short one. I'm working on a corrected longbed and I will probably use 4 or more beds to make that one. Luckily I have alot of the 70's kits and builtups to use for parts.

Yeah, I know how that goes. I got about 50 or so projects like that. The later model Ford pickup wheelwells and inner sides are quite different from the 70's style beds but I guess someone could use alot of putty to make them match the older style. I prefer to use the older style inner parts and just hack and whack them instead of the later pieces that have to be highly modified. I used 3 beds to make one short one. I'm working on a corrected longbed and I will probably use 4 or more beds to make that one. Luckily I have alot of the 70's kits and builtups to use for parts.

I'm not going to bother w/ changing the inner sides...it's the wheelbase that seems correct on the later ones. Too much cutting to get the correct vintage inner parts..I'm basically using the '92-94 beds with the '79 outer fenders attached (with most of the work involved in moving the wheel well opening on the '79 fenders to match the short and long beds. I plan to use the 2wd '92-94 short and longbed chassis and dirty bits under them, the '79 cab seems to fit well on the later chassis. It won't be 100% accurate as far as the chassis design and suspension, but should be good for shelf models.

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm not going to bother w/ changing the inner sides...it's the wheelbase that seems correct on the later ones. Too much cutting to get the correct vintage inner parts..I'm basically using the '92-94 beds with the '79 outer fenders attached (with most of the work involved in moving the wheel well opening on the '79 fenders. I plan to use the 2wd '92-94 short and longbed chassis and dirty bits under them, the old cab seems to fit well on the later chassis. It won't be 100% accurate as far as the chassis design and suspension, but should be good for shelf models.

I see your point Rob, but when you're working with resin and selling, alot of guy want that accuracy, so everything has to be correct. If it were just for me and my shelf, I wouldnt bother either. but it's nice to do accurate stuff and correct the big manufacturer's mistakes too, so I try to be as accurate as possible, it's not rocket-science but some modelers think so.

• 6 years later...

Okay, its been around 10 years since this thread first appeared, but does this problem still exist? Can I readily purchase the standard 8' bed for the '73-'79 Ford Styleside? Please post link to purchase page if so. I've been wanting this bed back in the mid 70's, thinking AMT would change the bed in re issues, but, nope, just gingerbread changes with the same old body. Is there enough interest to make it worth while? I purchased the period Chevy longbeds when they were offered, and will do the same when the Ford bed is offered. It appears blue oval could not come thru on this

Edited by leafsprings

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there is/was a facebook source but nothing yet in the real world. Been now, what, over two years since R2 brought the kit back? Another item in nevernever land, like an accurate pre-70 F100 grill  :rolleyes:

mike

So no one does resin bedsides for this with a normal wheelbase?

As of today, there is not a standard wheelbase 8 foot bed available for this kit. I know of at least 3 people who started on creating corrected side panels but have yet to offer them in resin.

I'll get around to the mod eventually. A link to Mr Ellifritt's box modification tutorial is right here...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Repstock/library/Ford%20pickup%20standard%20wheelbase%20bed?sort=6&page=1

The fb boys benefit from our wide open forum but keep their help to themselves. Doesn't give me the faintest desire to join up  :huh::rolleyes:

mike

Edited by mk11