Model Cars Magazine Forum

What type of "PAPER" do you use to mask off your projects

I have a roll of this stuff that I picked up in the surplus section at Princess Auto years ago when I was painting my real truck. It will outlast me! I have gotten lazy and used nothing but tape also and ruined a paint job.😕

DD93EF72-F3A3-430A-A0C5-77AE80F51C0B.jpeg

3 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Thoughts on green "frog" tape anyone????.....🤔

As opposed to what?  Plain 3M makings tape? 

The original green Frog masking tape's claim to fame is that the edges (just the edges) are coated with some sort of water absorbing substance, which when in contact with water-based acrylic latex paints (used to paint house walls) absorbs the water, swells and seals the edge tight.  That's all.  it is not any better than regular tape when used with non-water-based paints.   I bought a roll (probably about 20 or 30 years ago) when it just came to the market, and had an intense TV ad campaign.  Back then they didn't explain in detail what made it so special (that info came later).  I used it once or twice and put it back in its container (where it still sits today). 

I have not pursued it any further, but I understand that the Frog tape now comes with more varieties, but if they all still use the water-absorbing seal, it is no better for "stinky" automotive or hobby paints we use for our models.  Also, since the "special stuff" is only at the edge, if you trim the edge off (like many of us do to get a clean straight edge) then it is no better than ordinary tape.

It really pays to do the research about the supplies we use for our hobbies. Educated modeler is a good modeler. :)

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to What type of "PAPER" do you use to mask off your projects