Model Cars Magazine Forum

ID on this hot rod?

Hard to tell anymore, being a custom, but looks like it started out as a GM car, possibly a 53-54 Chevy and had Caddy bumperettes added to the front. 

Back was chopped off and a bed was added, using modified Chevy pickup fenders.

Looks doable using readily available model kit parts.

Are you inspired?

The rear fenders look like they have been widened somewhat. Something that catches my eye is the area in the middle of the windshield. There appears to be a bump in the middle of the dash that can be seen. The only car from that era at GM that I can remember such a dashboard style would be a Pontiac.  As for trying to reproduce the car in the picture you might consider starting with the Revell '50 Olds coupe. This would give you the general shape of the front half of the car with modifications to the grill area and the front bumper. The rear half looks like it would be pretty much scratch built. The Olds kit would give you a nice frame and driveline to work with. 

Ok, that looks like beast made from a few different cars. The big bullet bumperettes are from a 57 Cadillac but the hood and fenders along either the windshield look like an earlier 50s Caddy. The rear fenders don't look like anything I could find offhand, they're either completely custom or something really odd.

57 Cadillac 

1612280753ff9f98764da1957_cadillac_eldorado_1606118105f98764da1957_cadillac_eldorado_1606118104208495d56c20b5d80-1f8b-48d5-afd3-8805824a4239-XoAjd0-scaled-1.jpg.0889d5e596301f8cdbf41dba8aa847ee.jpg

53 Cadillac 

1953_cadillac_series_62_convertible_1602703874c91b941953_cadillac_series_62_convertible_16020251186e7dff9f98764da01d1d60e-079e-4d4e-b4fe-3d487a0394c0-semPAR.jpg.b138eca3effe9e9adfa60e625b7a215b.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm pretty convinced it's pre-'55 GM. I have the AMT '50 Ford convertible. That might work.

6 hours ago, espo said:

As for trying to reproduce the car in the picture you might consider starting with the Revell '50 Olds coupe. 

David, that's a good suggestion. I have the custom version on the shelf.  I know I have the custom rear fenders from the AMT '53 Ford pickup, I just need to find a bed. I probably have one, I just need to find it.

It looks to be a 53/4 chevy. The top of the doors are a little different at the front edge than the olds, having a more pronounced widening below the window. I think the revell 53 chevy delivery might be a good starting point and less work than the olds around the headlights and grille area

• Like 1

Guys, thanks very much for the input. After thinking about it a while, I think I'm more interested in getting building something similar rather than doing a faithful replica. Like what I did with my '48 Ford recently. To build something with the same "feel", if you get me. With that thought, I've the following convertibles that might do.

AMT '50 Ford (the frontrunner in my mind)

Revell 48 Ford "Greased Lightning"

Revell Foose Cadillac (this could be interesting)

And some hardtops/coupes that I would happily chop up.

Revell 49 Merc (another fav)

Monogram '53 Chevy

Monogram '56 Chevy

Revell 50 Olds Custom

AMT '51 Chevy Fleetline

I really appreciate you guys helping me think this through. Much appreciated.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:39 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Hard to tell anymore, being a custom, but looks like it started out as a GM car, possibly a 53-54 Chevy and had Caddy bumperettes added to the front. 

Back was chopped off and a bed was added, using modified Chevy pickup fenders.

Looks doable using readily available model kit parts.

Are you inspired?

Indeed I am sir. 😁

On 4/22/2022 at 7:56 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Rob...I mocked up a very similar nose back in 2012:

On 4/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, Fat Brian said:

Ok, that looks like beast made from a few different cars. The big bullet bumperettes are from a 57 Cadillac but the hood and fenders along either the windshield look like an earlier 50s Caddy. The rear fenders don't look like anything I could find offhand, they're either completely custom or something really odd.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, stitchdup said:

It looks to be a 53/4 chevy. The top of the doors are a little different at the front edge than the olds, having a more pronounced widening below the window. I think the revell 53 chevy delivery might be a good starting point and less work than the olds around the headlights and grille area

Thanks everyone. Thanks to the wonder of hot rod/custom knowledge that is the H.A.M.B., I was able to find out who the owner is. I've found his Instagram page, and sent him a message. And I got a little info.

It's a '53 Chevy, with a 57 Caddy grill/bumper, home made bed with F1 fenders. More than that I don't have as of yet. I'm hoping the owner gets back with me.

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Indeed I am sir. 😁

Thanks everyone. Thanks to the wonder of hot rod/custom knowledge that is the H.A.M.B., I was able to find out who the owner is. I've found his Instagram page, and sent him a message. And I got a little info.

It's a '53 Chevy, with a 57 Caddy grill/bumper, home made bed with F1 fenders. More than that I don't have as of yet. I'm hoping the owner gets back with me.

That's great that you found it, I had even tried a reverse image search and didn't get anything. If I were going to build something along these lines I would start with the Foose Cadillac. Paint it a satin color, find some cool pinstripes, get a set of 20" steelies, drop in the Caddy engine from the Revell 49 Mercury. The only issue is the interior, it's too modern for this style.

38 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

That's great that you found it, I had even tried a reverse image search and didn't get anything. If I were going to build something along these lines I would start with the Foose Cadillac. Paint it a satin color, find some cool pinstripes, get a set of 20" steelies, drop in the Caddy engine from the Revell 49 Mercury. The only issue is the interior, it's too modern for this style.

All good points. I do have a Monogram '53 with optional lowered suspension. I do have a bed from the Revell '50 pickup and the custom fenders and early hemi from the AMT '53 pickup. Some custom grill/bumper options from the Revell custom '48 Ford. It seems I have all the pieces to do something very close to the photo. I love the stripe, but I think I'll change the color from black as I just finished a flat black hot rod. 

Now I just have to finish putting my new hobby room together so I can get started. I'm about half done.

Thanks again guys. This should be fun.