Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody ever seen GoodYear illuminated tires?

On 5/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, JollySipper said:

Sam Barris was the one with the eye for design..... This is his '50 Buick.

1339385798_barrisbuick.jpg.754fa0bbd872e3248be78e6569f1881b.jpg

It doesn't get much better as far as kustoms go!

Agree 100% that Sam had a far better eye for style and flow. Sam's 50 Buick is definitely a beautiful custom but my choice of a Barris car would be the Blue Danube 52 Buick. One of the best looking customs IMO. I have loved that car since I was a kid.

2v2aqRYVjxBejCF.jpg

2v2aqRYSrxBejCF.jpg

Edited by Toner283
Add pics
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 12:11 AM, Brian Austin said:

I'd say the Golden Sahara is no worse than the wild customs of the '70s, including show rods.  It was of its era.  It was a show car.  Those are supposed to be wild.  🙂

I don't see anything wrong with glowing tires.  I'd like to see them in person.

The Golden Sahara has a fascinating history, with its various revisions over the years.  It had many innovating features.

That said, I think I prefer Golden Sahara I, which seems a little cleaner and less fussy.  Apparently Liberace wanted to buy it.  🙂

This video includes a brief history of the illuminated tires. 

I agree. At least he tried something different. Sometimes it catches on and sometimes it does not. What I may dislike , someone may love it. Trying to explain this to my wife,  like forever, just because you do not like it, does not mean someone else will. Had a 1980 pinto. White with a blue interior, a post office car. Had a lot of miles on it. My wife said , no one wants that thing, sold in 1 hour. You never know.  

When I was (barely) 16, I got a gas station summer job that lasted 3 years on and off. The station owner was married to Sam's widow Joyce. A very sweet, classy lady and I got to meet her children with Sam (Johnny and Pam). At the time, I was naive enough to not know that there was another "Barris" other than George, so my boss had to explain it to me..... 

I replaced a headlamp in Don Tognotti's Lamborghini Espada during that employment as well.

• Like 1

Didn't the golden sahara have a lot of very hi tec stuff for the era it was built? I'm sure i read somewhere about it having stuff we take for granted in our modern cars. It doesn't excuse what it looks like but i was under the impression thats what made it famous rather than the style

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. It had a trunk full of gizmology. There's plenty of info online.    https://silodrome.com/golden-sahara-ii/

Golden Sahara I & II… - Gatsby Online

Check out that great trim job inside the trunk. I've seen better attention to detail from a third grader. And this is supposed to be a show car?

That's 15k well spent, I'd say!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 4:35 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Check out that great trim job inside the trunk. I've seen better attention to detail from a third grader. And this is supposed to be a show car?

That's 15k well spent, I'd say!

I don't have any love for the golden sahara but the bad trim might be due to age. That pic is when it was displayed in its "as found" state. After having sat covered and tarped for umpteen years in Mr. Streets garage. The yellowed, scratched and cracked bubble glass, the duct tape (?) residue on the paintwork and that golden paint was originally pearl white and has not really aged well.

10 hours ago, Toner283 said:

I don't have any love for the golden sahara but the bad trim might be due to age. That pic is when it was displayed in its "as found" state. After having sat covered and tarped for umpteen years in Mr. Streets garage. The yellowed, scratched and cracked bubble glass, the duct tape (?) residue on the paintwork and that golden paint was originally pearl white and has not really aged well.

I'm talking about loose fitting galvanized panels attached with sheetmetal screws and no provisions for weatherseal around the opening. Must be great on all that technology when water gets in there.

I know, it's just a showcar and not a well thought out one at that.

20220531_102752.jpg

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2022 at 1:41 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'm talking about loose fitting galvanized panels attached with sheetmetal screws and no provisions for weatherseal around the opening. Must be great on all that technology when water gets in there.

I know, it's just a showcar and not a well thought out one at that.

20220531_102752.jpg

To my eyes, those look like upholstered filler panels that the silver material is sagging and pulling away from the mounting screws. Don't know for sure. I remember from the pictures posted at the time that the interior was in pretty rough shape. Partially due to age but also due to the materials used at the time. You are right about the weather seal though. Good thing it doesn't rain much in California.

On 6/1/2022 at 1:54 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Those'll only be available on EV cars. No place to plug them in on ICE cars. 😁

Didn't ya hear? They're going to beam the energy to run 'em from great big inductive chargers, like your phone and toothbrush already use, hidden inside the wheel wells.

Of course you'll have to have the optional 400-amp alternator, but hey...making a fashion statement's worth whatever it takes to get noticed, right? 

The original plan was to beam energy to the tires using microwaves, but early trials produced a few medium-rare dogs, cats, and one guy who forgot to disable the system before changing a flat.  ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 1

And 4 pipes per side. I’ve been messing with one to detail it up, the lump of a sbf has to go. Revell Buttera sbf better, small, but stuck on intake options. Hali quick change out back from 41 woody. Another stalled project. 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, keyser said:

And 4 pipes per side. I’ve been messing with one to detail it up, the lump of a sbf has to go. Revell Buttera sbf better, small, but stuck on intake options. Hali quick change out back from 41 woody. Another stalled project. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hard to find good buildup shots of the original Munster Mobile. Best guesses would probably work fine here.