Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accuracy; again!

Issue 213:  IF exhibitor Jarel Wolfe exhibited his neato ramp rod as a Dodge on pg. 45, and Tom Valento believed it, they are mistaken.  It's a White 3000 tilt-cab, built during most of the 'fifties.  I know, because our family (Armor Van & Storage) bought one new in 1952, and later I owned it in the 00's.  Came as both gas and Diesel, and ours had the large wider sleeper cab.  I'm converting a resin repop to that configuration for a car-hauler flatbed, based on a Ford C-Series chassis with big V-8 power as a car hauler.  We oughtta' get these things right, huh?!

• Like 1

Our 3000 is still around; moribund with a poor repaint -- breaks my heart to see it now.  It was a good driver, being gasoline (original flathead six replaced by later model overhead after about 1 million miles --so my step-dad claimed) with 5-speed and Brownie.  I removed the fifth-wheel to make it a simple flatbed -- hence the model project -- and converted the electric cab-tilt to hydraulic, etc.  Just too expensive for one guy to restore to what it deserved!  Known as 'The Green Hornet'.

Years ago , my twin brother, Larry, built a stock White 3400 (diesel version of the 3000) using mostly brass and some modified diecast body parts.  He had a service manual to reference all the parts and proportions, etc. Even the 35 foot trailer was mostly hand fabricated brass. The model and build were featured in MCM #187

2v2JNLGejxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2EtzpnqxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLgK9xJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLWhvxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLWGzxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLGudxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLWjzxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLWM2xJ4vLY.jpg

Edited by traditional
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, traditional said:

Years ago , my twin brother, Larry, built a stock White 3400 (diesel version of the 3000) using mostly brass and some modified diecast body parts.  He had a service manual to reference all the parts and proportions, etc. Even the 35 foot trailer was mostly hand fabricated brass. The model and build were featured in MCM #187

Wow!! that is an impressive amount work to create that truck. Amazing skill and dedication.

Edited by Cool Hand

Yes, indeed!  I have that article in the box with my resin project -- as inspiration!  I think the original DC cab is the basis for the resin cab, provenance unknown because it was a gift from my truck-modelin' nephew.  There were many versions of the base 3000, and it sold very well, esp as an inter-urban rig.  I tried to win the 'Space Patrol' rocket in the '50s, which was based on a 3000 straight chassis; remember telling my Dad "We boys could put the rocket ship in the back yard, and you could have the new truck for a job" which got a wry look, because he was already an vice-superintendent of schools!  Ralston-Purina sponsored the 'Space Patrol' show (or was it 'Tom Corbett, Space Cadet"?) and the rig can be searched on-line.  Make an interesting build, esp as a diorama!  

We used our 3000 as a yard-mule after switching to White/Freightliners (13-speed Road Rangers; some shifting!)  It was swiped one night, but the thieves (probably joy-riders) didn't know about the CA 'spring brakes' that were added about 1963, and without enough air, the tractor stopped in the middle of an intersection!  The old White had a red-jeweled light in the middle of the dash-board top that signaled to the enforcement folks that you had air pressure below 40-pounds.  Guess they thought it was bling?!  Step-dad had it about half restored when he passed, about 15 years ago.  Oh, the stories!!

This is ;our' White 3000, posed in front of Fremont Ford plant, new in '52.  Trailer was a 1942 35-foot Utility furniture van, large for the time.

Story: Step-dad tilted the cab at White Motors in Stockton once, forgetting his 4-cell flashlight in the sleeper; it fell right through the windshield -- which luckily they had in stock!!  

HPtruck1.jpg

So I'm looking at the truck that was featured in MCM. Wow, just Wow! I go back to I can see who built it. " Ahh Cliff Read. No Wonder!" Great stuff, Cliff. I always admired all your street rods, but I had no idea you did the same with trucks. Amazing work!

18 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

So I'm looking at the truck that was featured in MCM. Wow, just Wow! I go back to I can see who built it. " Ahh Cliff Read. No Wonder!" Great stuff, Cliff. I always admired all your street rods, but I had no idea you did the same with trucks. Amazing work!

Thank-you for the kind words, Scott.  But actually, That White 3400TD Tractor/trailer model was done by my twin brother, Larry.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:40 AM, Cool Hand said:

Wow!! that is an impressive amount work to create that truck. Amazing skill and dedication.

I have the greatest admiration for that level of dedication and craftsmanship. Top shelf stuff!

• 1 month later...

Scott: Call me 'Wick' (not Mr.) -- to paraphrase what the non-coms (which I became, as a SP5, +-) 'You don't have to call me 'sir'; I work for a living!"

No photos yet; not really finished!  I have posted with trucks/commercials as I was trying to find an early '60's Dodge Power-Wagon kit or resin to build 'my' USFS Class III fire tanker from 1968 -- and no joy!  It was my third season as Foreman, 'Red Card' rated Crew Boss:  Tanker 333 was a '62 P-W, 100-gallon slip-in unit in regular w.b. Dodge with 4WD, (oc!) and the crummy A-series 318 V-8.  I say this because one of our Forest mechanics had a nice side business buying used 2-bbl. intakes and reselling them to their shop to replace the ones that cracked through the exhaust heat riser and intake ports under the carb.  Even our '56 Dodge Sierra wagon had this affliction on it's A-273, much to mom's chagrin. 

Well, I hope my White 3000 'labor of love' will be posted this year -- with a late '50's style Altered Model A (the old Mono A-bone phaeton kit, still with it's 1961 candy truquoise paint and decals on the back!  Wick

On 5/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, traditional said:

2v2JNLGejxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2EtzpnqxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLgK9xJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLWhvxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLWGzxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLGudxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLWjzxJ4vLY.jpg

2v2JNLWM2xJ4vLY.jpg

Holy cow, that is a work of art.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chuck, I've been working on 'getting things right' for about 70 years, from when I built my first plastic kit, one of Aurora's 'Famous Fighters' Spitfire.  So, dropping the ball is okay with you?  A mis-typed vowel doesn't seem like much of an issue, but I apologize to Tom.  Okie dokie?  Wick