Model Cars Magazine Forum

History request - AMT 1/12 '37 Cord

Anyone here have the backstory behind the AMT 1/12 scale '37 Cord? Was AMT looking to build a series of large scale classics? How good a seller was it, do the molds still exist, etc. My dad got a built-up from a friend back in '68 or so (it was his favorite car) and I remember it being very well detailed, but I don't think it's been reissued in a long time. Over to the experts (Tim?)...

2 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Anyone here have the backstory behind the AMT 1/12 scale '37 Cord? Was AMT looking to build a series of large scale classics? How good a seller was it, do the molds still exist, etc. My dad got a built-up from a friend back in '68 or so (it was his favorite car) and I remember it being very well detailed, but I don't think it's been reissued in a long time. Over to the experts (Tim?)...

Hi Chris.  It was first released around 1966 as a "statement" by the AMT team of their kit design abilities.  This was in the context of Monogram's 1/8th scale kit series, etc,. that had been released over the prior couple of years.  I've heard no indications it was to be the first of series of 1/12th scale kits., though.    

The kit was extremely complex, with many working features.   The box art was a highlight of kit IMHO.   I recieved one as a birthday at age 12 (IIRC); one look at the extensive assembly manual and I thought "no way".  I still think that today.  

Those that attempted it reportedly found it to be a frustrating build.  It was reissued once (possibly more) in the 1980's/90's by AMT Ertl, after some supposed efforts to address the assembly issues.   

I don't believe it sold particularly well during either production run.   I expect that the tooling still exists, but I doubt we will see another production run any time soon.  

I featured the original version of this kit in my "Classic Kits" series in Scale Auto.  It was one of the earlier columns, probably in the early 2010's if you have a library of that mag title, it might be worth looking up for a bit more background on the kit.    

Hope that helps a bit....TIM  

• Like 1

One of those "mantlepiece" kits.  Most companies tried at least one back then.  Revell's were larger-than-normal scale sailing ships, Monogram's were usually World War II aircraft.  AMT were "the car guys", so logically theirs was a car.  MPC tried theirs later, (probably) first with their boxing of the Airfix large scale "blower" Bentley, later the "General" locomotive.  A second loco was announced but never released.

My late father built one when it came out, I still have it although it needs some TLC after being stored for many years. He was an engineer so complex kits appealed to him as well as the subject matter. He was able to assemble it with all the functional features. I have a MIB that he also had along with the Ertl reissue. As far as I know the only thing that was simplified was the elimination of the rotating headlights and possibly hollow vinyl tires instead of the solid rubber ones in the first issue. I'd have to pull both from my collection to compare sometime. Eventually I'd like to build the later issue in Ivory with a saddle interior, his was molded in a rich dark red which he simply polished and detail painted the rest of the kit. FYI styrene addiction is genetic and can be passed on to the next generation 😁

Edited by Phirewriter

At least 3.

Original 60s issue, with lots of operating features. 

s-l640.jpg.470043c886ef6bb3085f19a85d055099.jpg

70s. With some features simplified to ease assembly. 

s-l300.jpg.380036e9df6c1bab91058e65498cd96d.jpg

90s. 2nd reissue. 

s-l640-1.jpg.cb4010ac805038c06cd73e351a35fc55.jpg

I'd like to see a build up or parts breakdown comparing the original to the reissues. I've read that they eliminated the roll up windows and geared steering to make assembly easier.

I still wish someone would make a good Auburn speedster to go with all the Cord and Mercedes roadsters we have. Alas, I think that ship has sailed. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27

• 8 months later...

Currently working on this kit. For as expensive as this was to manufacture, it has a lot of booboos in the kit. Headlight doors are the wrong shape and have to be redone. The top most louver is supposed to be attached to the hood but in the kit, it is not. I separated the top louver and glued it to the hood.Looks much better and it seems to center better. I have the second reissue. Working on researching other issues in the kit. I also have a chihuahua that has a taste for styrene so I have to scratch make a rear engine cover. That should be simple enough.