Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Dodge Charger

doorsovdoon

I got started on this a few weeks ago but been spending most of my time fixing up my 1.1 car, not a Charger unfortunately. Progress will be a bit slower than usual because of that. I've got as far as paint, and a vinyl roof, you know how I love them! and I have the chassis/interior temporarily together to fix some fit issues around the windshield and dashboard. Also the hood needed to be shaved super thin over the firewall as it stuck up a little. Tons of flash on this kit but so far it's going well. 

DSC02893.JPG

DSC02899.JPG

• Like 4

In my experience with this kit, it's the part of the windscreen which is mounted under the cowl which is the offender. Sand the poop out of it until it's tissue-thin; this'll free up space for the dashboard.

I'm liking the colour combo. At first I thought that you were using the interior tub from the old MPC 1971 Charger annual kit (which is moulded in orange), then I remembered that one of the latest issues of this kit is moulded in that colour.

Oh, and another item interference to be mindful of: the driveshaft is too long. I've always trimmed the 'shaft at the rear universal joints, just a smidge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

In my experience with this kit, it's the part of the windscreen which is mounted under the cowl which is the offender. Sand the poop out of it until it's tissue-thin; this'll free up space for the dashboard.

I'm liking the colour combo. At first I thought that you were using the interior tub from the old MPC 1971 Charger annual kit (which is moulded in orange), then I remembered that one of the latest issues of this kit is moulded in that colour.

Oh, and another item interference to be mindful of: the driveshaft is too long. I've always trimmed the 'shaft at the rear universal joints, just a smidge.

Yea, the windshield was the issue. It's pretty thick where the locating pins are under the cowl, they don't really need to be there. Thanks for the heads up on the driveshaft👍

• Like 1

Nice start Gareth. Hope your work on the 1:1 has got everything sorted and you'll be back on this soon.

Not a generation of Charger I'm very familiar with, but I took photos of a nice 1972 318ci that was at a local show the other weekend:

1972 Dodge Charger 318

1972 Dodge Charger 318

Edited by Spottedlaurel
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, espo said:

Glad to see you are getting back to your modeling bench. The chrome foil looks great. 

Good to be back. Cheers, Dave. 

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking good Gareth.  Is the "vinyl" roof textured paint?

Thanks. It is, but my camera doesn't pick it up too well. 

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

Nice looking colours. That's going to be a sharp Charger.

Thanks. It was a difficult colour to lay down. Four coats before the primer wasn't visible!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, time for a colour change! 🤣 Lol.  For some reason the hood looked brighter than the rest of the car, so I gave the body another coat of paint and it did not react well to the fresh layer over months old paint! On the plus side, I did find an amazing paint stripper that doesn't melt plastic. Solvent leather cleaner. After a week in break fluid doing nothing I thought I'd try it. The paint fell off in seconds! So, new paint job coming soon. I might ditch the vinyl roof this time and keep it simple. Not sure what colour to go with yet though.

DSC03298.JPG

DSC03294.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Hope all is now OK for you Gareth, good to see you back at it although a shame you've had to strip the paintwork. I reckon a metallic would really bring out the curvey shape, like that green 1:1 I saw.

Yeah, all good mate👍. Paint fail is part of the hobby sometimes. When you posted that pic I did think 'Dang, I like that!' Lol. Green being my favourite colour and all!

They offered a lot of great colors on these Chargers when new. Had a customer that drove one done in a rich bright high metallic gold. I think they look best without the vinyl roof cover as that seem to distract from the great looking body lines. 

• Like 1