Model Cars Magazine Forum

About my building.

First and foremost, I build for myself. Outside of publishing a few pictures on here, no one else will ever see most of my models. My critic of choice is Nancy, and she will ooh and aah over anything short of a glue bomb. As I build more, I will surely get better at it, and it's obvious that's badly needed :lol:.

I might show a couple of models at NNL West this year. If I do, it will simply be a gesture toward feeling like I'm a part of things. I'm humbled by what others on here have built. I'll probably never be able to compete with most of them, but who cares? I'm having fun anyway.

I'm wondering how the rest of you feel about your own building. Are you staisfied with it? Are you getting better as you go along? Do you feel pressure to compete? I'd like to hear what some of you have to say.

I also build totally for my own enjoyment, and like you, the models I post here and elsewhere are the only way anyone else will ever see them (unless you come to my house!).

I don't build models in order to compete with others. I have absolutely no desire to enter contests. For me, building models is strictly a personal, solitary hobby. Not knocking the contest guys, just giving my own opinion... as requested! :lol:

I build just for my pleasure. Some of my models were in shows in the 70's and took home trophies, but that was a long time ago. Now I build to relax and enjoy the hobby, although since my wife showed me how to post pictures through photobucket I plan to post on this site in the near future.

Marcus, same here. I only build for ME. NO one outside of my immediate family and freinds have ever seen my models. I'd show em here, but I got a REAL problem with larnin new stuff, an I don't know my way around a computer as well as some.But I like 'em, an my freinds who have seen them like 'em too. I normally build street cars, like the ones from my Jr/High school days. Their NO WAY on the level of some of the guys here, but I like 'em. And as soon as I get off my ded butt an learn how, I'll post pics. But that'll be the only way anyone sees them rascals caz I don't enter shows either. I think I do it for the fun of it.Or relaxation,or.......Geeze, I don't know really. I just do.

Good topic, a chance to be open and expose the way we really feel about ourselves.

I build for myself. If it's not correct, I already knew that.

I build for myself. If it's missing parts, it's because I didn't care.

I build for myself. If my models intimidate anyone, it's not my fault.

I build for myself. If you think by looking at one model of mine that you are too good for me, just imagine what I could do if I really "cared". :lol:

I don't build for contests. I might build for a theme to help the show along.

I don't build for contests. If I win something, I am surprised as I never expect it.

I don't build for contests. But I will enter to participate and support the show.

How good do I think I am? Well in the back of my mind, I know I can build something crazy or highly detailed....and do have some projects not finished like that.

How good do I think I am? I have done things many others haven't, but others have done many things I will never try.

How good do I think I am? I am just as good as anyone else here. I see all of my mistakes that nobody else sees....just like everyone else.

How good do I think I am? Good enough to keep building, because if I was horrible at it I would quit.

Who do I like to criticize me? My wife is mean, don't care to ask her. ;)

Who do I like to criticize me? The people who actually build what I build. Anyone else calls my hot rods "rat rods" and that burns.

Who do I like to criticize me? Anyone who can be truthful and polite, because a rude comment ruins motivation and I like to learn.

Am I satisfied? Yeah pretty much. Some times I look at a build and go back and change something about it that I don't like....but otherwise they stay

on the shelf and are never looked back on.

Am I satisfied? Not always, which is why a lot of my projects get put aside and not finished. I really wish I didn't "know any better" , so I could FINISH more builds.

I don't feel pressure to compete, but I do feel pressure to be involved and show support at times.

Do I feel I get better as I go? Yes I really do. My paint jobs keep getting better and I always find something to "try for the first time" on each build, I get a chance to expand my skills.

Will I ever try to be the best? NOPE, if I was the best then what's the point? ;)

Bottom line.....I am my own worst critic, but I do enjoy it and like to read what others think of my builds, good or bad.

Now I was completely honest......who else will be?

I want to challenge the statement, "I build for myself" as meaning you're not interested in competition. Just because a person builds competitively does not mean he's not building for himself. Why can't a person build with competition in mind BECAUSE he enjoys that kind of modeling? I often build with competition in mind, but I don't build for awards, I build that way because it's what I enjoy doing, in other words; I BUILD FOR MYSELF! Seriously, who here doesn't not build for himself? That statement seems rather silly to me. There are only two situations where I can see someone not building for himself. Either the builder is focused solely on winning awards or they are a professional model builder literally building for customers.

David

back in the fiftys I was a member of a model car club and we did compete!

my great uncle owned a hardware store on main street and he came up with the Idea that ech member of the club exibit their favorite models in different establishments on main street. Uncle Ben would sponsor my models and some of the other merchants fell in line, quite a number of them was literally begging the members to chose their establishment

to make a long story short the thing became an annual event and it got so huge that there was nobody in town to judge the models

Uncle Ben and other members of the merchants association went to columbia and found some lawers and other merchants that would be willing to travel to Newberry to judge the builds the columbia people saw how we dd it and started their own shows and other towns joined in on the fun! The merchants association began to purchase trophies for the winners in each age group and class of cars

I won a few local trophies and two state wide first places THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

we soon got too old to build models

our thoughts turned to dating and girls so after awhile we ceased showing our builds

lilsquirt

Edited by lilsquirt

I want to challenge the statement, "I build for myself" as meaning you're not interested in competition. Just because a person builds competitively does not mean he's not building for himself. Why can't a person build with competition in mind BECAUSE he enjoys that kind of modeling? I often build with competition in mind, but I don't build for awards, I build that way because it's what I enjoy doing, in other words; I BUILD FOR MYSELF! Seriously, who here doesn't not build for himself? That statement seems rather silly to me. There are only two situations where I can see someone not building for himself. Either the builder is focused solely on winning awards or they are a professional model builder literally building for customers.

David

Good points and I certainly didn't imply that "contest builders" didn't build for themselves....but if there was any implications , I would only be speaking of those who DO just build models to win contests or themes.....the guys that don't start a project out of pure love of a subject.....but instead start and finish something in the nic of time for the show coming up....a build that would have otherwise never entered their mind? Just food for thought....but they are the ones that build to please judges. I know of some guys like this and I do admire their builds. I think they do it because they have lost interest or have builders block and this is the only way to get something built is to be "challenged".

2cents

When I say I build for myself, here's what I mean. I have a certain car in mind that I'd like to see . Rather than build it 1:1 (which would be prohibitively expensive), I build it in a model. That's why I'm building the 47 Ford in my avatar. It's a car from my hometown built in my teenage years. I used to dream about owning such a car; now I can.

I don't consider that a silly statement

I want to challenge the statement, "I build for myself" as meaning you're not interested in competition. Just because a person builds competitively does not mean he's not building for himself. Why can't a person build with competition in mind BECAUSE he enjoys that kind of modeling? I often build with competition in mind, but I don't build for awards, I build that way because it's what I enjoy doing, in other words; I BUILD FOR MYSELF! Seriously, who here doesn't not build for himself? That statement seems rather silly to me.

David

And I'd like to challenge your statement.

You say "I often build with competition in mind, but I don't build for awards"...

How is that logically possible? How does one build with competition in mind but say they're not building in an effort to win an award? That's what "competition" is... it's competing against others to determine who's model is "best" or which model deserves an award above the others. You can't have a contest without giving awards... that's impossible! And to enter your model into a contest with no desire to win an award seems pointless to me. Why enter in the first place then?

If getting an award isn't the point of entering a competition, then what is the point? Just "hanging out" with other builders? Seeing what others are up to? That can all be accomplished just by attending a contest, no need to enter it yourself.

I say that not to knock contests or those who enter contests... but to me, saying that you build for contests but don't care about awards seems kind of nonsensical. If you build a model with the intent of competing with it, there's nothing wrong with that! Why try to emphasize the point that you "don't care" about awards? Seems to me to be perfectly natural to care about awards if you enter a contest. I sure wouldn't bother entering a contest if I didn't care about winning it... what would be the point?

I can't speak for others, but when I say I "build for myself", what I mean is that I have no intent of ever having my model judged by others in comparison to other models. In other words, I don't care if my model would or would not impress anyone else, because it will never have to. It'll never be entered into a competition against other models. That's what I mean by saying I build "just for myself". People who build a model with the intent of entering that model into competition are obviously building not only for their own satisfaction, but to impress the judges at the contest. They are building for themselves... and also for the approval of others. Again, nothing wrong with that!

Once again... not knocking contests, builders who like to compete, the giving out of awards, etc.. I don't have any problem with any of that other than it just doesn't interest me. I guess the basic divide is between "public" builders (those who enter shows and contests and join clubs), and "private" builders (those who don't really "share" their work with others). Neither way is inherently right or wrong... it's just two different ways to enjoy the same hobby.

Either way is perfectly legit. I just happen to be a "private" builder.

This is a great question and got me to question why I build myself...

I would have to say I build because I love to express my thoughts and ideas in a piece of art (what someone called one of my cars). I love to make people go hey... hey.... heyyyyy..... Put in all those little added details others might overlook like bolts and bushings on motor mounts. This fact is why I rarely ever finish a model. I see the one piece front axle/spring/mount/bracket/brakes and next thing I know, I have a dropped axle with separate springs, brackets, spindles, brakes, and have added all the mounting tabs, nuts and bolts and made it all look about right. Talk about OCD...

Like others have stated about themselves, I am my own worst critic. If I built a fully functional photo-typically correct model car in 1/25th scale that needed a tiny remote to unlock and a tiny key to start, I would still find something, many things most likely that I did wrong or badly, even though others might not see the faults.

I strive to create models that are somewhat believable and loaded with personality and character. My family audience consists of my 8yo son who focuses more on the look of it than the detail, my wife and daughter have no interest at all in my stupid plastic money and time pit addiction and a few friends that are more laypersons than builders.

This is why I build models (not always cars) and take them to model shows and events. I put a lot of time and effort into them and even if I don't win, to hear someone ask me how I did this or that or what I used or so forth is all the reward I need. Sometimes I win, other times I don't. No sweat off my brow.

That is also why I put them on the forums. I have a lack of an appreciative audience here that understand the full scope and work involved in creating the models we all love and appreciate.

I welcome any and all criticism on my models as that is the way one learns. I have learned that most criticism is earned so just shut up and pay attention. The exception to this rule is the girls in the house whose unspoken comments are that it's just a plastic waste of time.

awbcrazy pretty much sums it up for me. I build because I enjoy it immensely. I'm pretty satisfied with what I build most of the time but if I'm not, I can always make that change on another project. I'm probably capable of much more than I'll actually ever do but I'm okay with that. B)

Okay, let me clarify my statements. First, my problem with the phrase "I build for myself" is that it implies that a builder who enters models in contests is somehow not enjoying himself and is only building to please others and somehow those who don't enter contests are the only builders who can achieve a state a modeling nirvana. I beleive that the modeler who builds models and actually doesn't enjoy doing so is a very rare breed, especially on this message forum. I suggest rather than using the phrase "I build for myself" we use the phrase "I don't build for contests".

As a response top Harry's comments I can only offer this. I do enjoy building to a contest level quality and I do enjoy entering contests but I don't care much about winning the awards. That's not to say I don't value awards that I might win, (some more than others depending on the event) but I don't build to please judges because that's an insane man's game, it's impossible because every judge is different and there's not such thing as 100% objectivity. We don't have an NNL style contest available to us here so club meetings and contests are all I have. I don't build specifically for the contests, I just build to the best of my ability and always strive for improvement and if I never entered another model contest I'd still do that. I also don't enter everything I build into contests. Bottom line, I strive to contest quality modeling because that is what pleases me, not the contests so much as building a model to that level. Entering a contest does not make that my sole motivation for building the model.

Now, if you don't understand, or just disagree well....I can live with that. B)

David

Okay, let me clarify my statements. First, my problem with the phrase "I build for myself" is that it implies that a builder who enters models in contests is somehow not enjoying himself and is only building to please others and somehow those who don't enter contests are the only builders who can achieve a state a modeling nirvana.

David

I used the phrase you object to as the best way to describe my motivation for building model cars. If it doesn't fit your motivation, then so be it. I in no way implied that my motivation is superior to any other or mutually exclusive.

Okay, let me clarify my statements. First, my problem with the phrase "I build for myself" is that it implies that a builder who enters models in contests is somehow not enjoying himself and is only building to please others and somehow those who don't enter contests are the only builders who can achieve a state a modeling nirvana. I beleive that the modeler who builds models and actually doesn't enjoy doing so is a very rare breed, especially on this message forum. I suggest rather than using the phrase "I build for myself" we use the phrase "I don't build for contests".

As a response top Harry's comments I can only offer this. I do enjoy building to a contest level quality and I do enjoy entering contests but I don't care much about winning the awards. That's not to say I don't value awards that I might win, (some more than others depending on the event) but I don't build to please judges because that's an insane man's game, it's impossible because every judge is different and there's not such thing as 100% objectivity. We don't have an NNL style contest available to us here so club meetings and contests are all I have. I don't build specifically for the contests, I just build to the best of my ability and always strive for improvement and if I never entered another model contest I'd still do that. I also don't enter everything I build into contests. Bottom line, I strive to contest quality modeling because that is what pleases me, not the contests so much as building a model to that level. Entering a contest does not make that my sole motivation for building the model.

David

I get it, no worries. I should also mention that in fact I said I do enter contests and don't care if I win.....you can ask people who have been to same shows as me......they know I always leave before awards are announced. :P

Good topic! B)

Okay, let me clarify my statements. First, my problem with the phrase "I build for myself" is that it implies that a builder who enters models in contests is somehow not enjoying himself and is only building to please others and somehow those who don't enter contests are the only builders who can achieve a state a modeling nirvana. I beleive that the modeler who builds models and actually doesn't enjoy doing so is a very rare breed

David

I don't see the phrase "I build for myself" as meaning what you seem to believe that it means. Nobody ever said that a guy who enters model contests can't enjoy the building process. Nobody ever said that those who don't enter contests are the only ones who can enjoy building. That's all stuff that you seem to have read into the statement. :P

I'll take your point about modelers who build models but don't enjoy it being a rare breed a step further: I don't think there's anybody who builds models that doesn't enjoy it, whether they enter contests or not. After all, if a person didn't enjoy it, they wouldn't do it!

I don't think it's a matter of disagreeing with you... it's a matter of interpreting the phrase "I build for myself." Apparently you and I understand that phrase differently. But that's ok... offering differing opinions are part of what this place is all about, right? If we all agreed on everything we might just as well close this thing up altogether and move on to a different forum. B)

Well I build whatever trips my trigger. If you folks like it- very cool. If not, I'll still be able to sleep just fine. I will say though, the internet and the 6 or so forums I frequent has given me a sense of community and fellowship that has enhanced my enjoyment of the hobby exponentially. I am totally adicted to CBP's for this reason.

I have done some contests in the past and may do so in the future, but it's not my focus when I build.

As I've said before; build the model until you can set it on the mantle and say, "hell yeah". If you can't say that, get back to work.

awbcrazy pretty much sums it up for me. I build because I enjoy it immensely. I'm pretty satisfied with what I build most of the time but if I'm not, I can always make that change on another project. I'm probably capable of much more than I'll actually ever do but I'm okay with that. :P

Ditto...one good thing is not many modelers down here in SWFL(yeah ;) naples) So I can build for ME!! Sure I'll post a few to share...but I like my styrene zone......and no judges!! :lol:B);)B)

I kinda go along with Torino. The only people that can really appreciate this hobby are the ones IN the hobby. So, posting builds on the forum is a way to share them and possibly get some input from other builders. I do build my models the way I want them. The style I want, the level of detail I choose. But it's cool to have the support of your peers.

Steve

Ok, I will throw a bit of a different twist on this conversation with a side bit on nitpicking the words others use. I build for others. In short, I do get paid for some of my builds. Not all of them, but some of them. The question then becomes, "What do I get out of it besides the money?" Well, actually a lot. In fact a heck of a lot more that the ones I build for myself. First, I get to meet some very interesting people. I spent Monday with Lee Holman of Holman-Moody discussing the GT40. Never would have done that without modeling. I get to build things that I wouldn't otherwise build. I get to challenge my skills and create something that makes the client go Wow! Most importantly, I get to build! Getting paid to do what you love is a dream. I don't have to justify my hobby spending to any one, or feel guilty because I am spending money on things I shouldn't be buying. I don't spend anything beyond what I make off the sale of my models. I actually make a little profit out of it when all is said and done. What I make goes back into my hobby for new tools, for travel to do research, for supplies etc. This is not my primary source of income so in I short, I have a self supporting hobby.

Do I build for myself? Yes, for sure. I do have some of my models that are for me, and I do go to contests. Some times I enter, some times not. I do like it when someone complements my builds, but most of the pleasure for me, and I have said it before on this forum, lies in the building. I love creating things. The fact that others like them as well and are willing to pay to own them is a bonus. I am not wealthy in terms of personal income, so I this niche suits me nicely.

Don't ever believe that everyone builds for the same reasons that you do. Each of us gets something different out of the hobby. The only problem I know with the hobby is with those who get carried away with the competition and go around making life miserable for others. That is a small minority, but they attend every contest and we all know who they are. So I just stay away from them and don't get involve with their particular brand of "fun".

So go ahead and build. Don't bother critiquing other's reasons and pleasures. Just enjoy the friends and the hobby.

Edited by Pete J.

I build because it gives Me a creative outlet. I can build something anyway I want. There are no rules to Me how something should be built. All of My models are put together so they are easy to take a part so I can redo them if I want. I have learned a lot from this form . I use to love to work on real Mustangs as I have owned so many of them. Today the cost is just too much for Me to do so.

Interesting thread.

Do I feel that I build for myself? - Yes.

In the last few years I have been pushing my scratchbuilding and detailing efforts as far as possible. I get a lot of satisfaction out of the problem solving and engineering involved. I can live with the teasing from my wife about my concerns that I have the right safety features for my 1/25 scale driver. (She thinks Yellow Plastic Driverman does not care. :lol: ). OK, OK -Fun for me. I get excited when I make a some little part. Because of these efforts, I probably get one model finished a year

Do I like to show and compete - Yes

I also show my models at contest and NNLs, as well as online. I like sharing models and general BS with my peers. Sometimes what I did strikes a peer as kool and I get some enthusatic feed back. I do the same when someone builds in a style that I like. Sometimes I pull an award, and sometimes land some ink in one of the magazines. When I enter a contest, I do hope to win. I do get excited when they announce the awards, hoping I will earn one.

While I don't base my self worth on it, the recognition by people who understand the medium is a good feeling. That's just honest for me.

My step sons are building a little as well. When one of my friends comes by, they take out their latest project to show them. I smile because I did the exact same thing at their age. Still the same fun after forty plus years of building.

Keep building-stay young

Scott

What a fascinating topic. And what misunderstandings can arise just from reading the printed word.

OK guys. I'll try to explain my position in a manner which won't leave me open to being misinterpreted or misunderstood. I'll even try to use American spelling!

I build for myself. I don't know any other model car builders these days, except for on the internet - if that counts.

I used to belong to a model car club six moves ago - I was in my early twenties then. I'd bring a model or two to theme display nights. That was fine. We all had fun. My cars weren't perfect, but nobody cared. Others were nice about it, and we all had a good time.

Then once we had a "competition" against the IPMS guys. I'd never heard of the IPMS before. Nobody told me what a bunch of_________s (fill in the blank yourself, I don't swear) they could be. Nobody told me they'd be exclusively judging either (open to bias, anyone?).

Well, my cars were shot full of holes over the most trivial lot of ____ (once again, fill in the blank). Those "judges" had NO IDEA about customs or street machines; my cars were just WRONG. This isn't right! That's not right! Color's not right! Where's your documentation?

To hell with them all! No more competitions for me. Ever again!

My work hours changed soon after that, and I stopped going to club meetings.

Nobody even called me to ask why......

Now that was about thirty years ago, but the memory is still there.

I will never ever again enter a judged competition. I gather they're not all like that, but memories like that hurt.

If there was a club nearby I could go to, I might perhaps go. I did display some of my models at a neighbouring city's NNL meet about fifteen years ago, before I came down with a chronic illness which stopped me from driving. I've moved again since then.

So I build models for myself - the way I want them to look. I use factory colors on my stock builds - or something close enough for me. Otherwise I'll paint things to look good to my eyes. I'll detail-paint things as much as my bodily abilities permit. If I want to build a custom body I will - and paint it however I like. I don't worry about things I know my body won't allow me to do - fine work like like wiring and plumbing engines. I'm blown away by the sheer craftsmanship of those who do, but I don't turn myself inside out that I can't do that. I know my limits, and I'm happy with them - but I keep pushing them!

I show my models on the internet. I've made many friends who I'll probably never meet. But I build to suit myself, and nobody else. If others like my models, that's great! It gives me a lift, and I'm happy. But I did it for me.

Here's my latest, not quite finished:

71ChargerB1-1.jpg

71ChargerB3.jpg

71ChargerB2-1.jpg

71ChargerB4.jpg

I used to belong to a model car club six moves ago - I was in my early twenties then. I'd bring a model or two to theme display nights. That was fine. We all had fun. My cars weren't perfect, but nobody cared. Others were nice about it, and we all had a good time.

Then once we had a "competition" against the IPMS guys. I'd never heard of the IPMS before. Nobody told me what a bunch of_________s (fill in the blank yourself, I don't swear) they could be. Nobody told me they'd be exclusively judging either (open to bias, anyone?).

Well, my cars were shot full of holes over the most trivial lot of ____ (once again, fill in the blank). Those "judges" had NO IDEA about customs or street machines; my cars were just WRONG. This isn't right! That's not right! Color's not right! Where's your documentation?

To hell with them all! No more competitions for me. Ever again!

My work hours changed soon after that, and I stopped going to club meetings.

Nobody even called me to ask why......

Now that was about thirty years ago, but the memory is still there.

I will never ever again enter a judged competition. I gather they're not all like that, but memories like that hurt.

I can understand your feelings! There is a fundamental difference in IPMS in general and auto modeling. I am a member of a SoCal model car club. We were formed 30 years ago with the car guys got fed up with IPMS attitudes and split a club off. Strangely, 2 years ago we became an IPMS club again. That happened so we could fall under the IPMS insurance umbrella for shows and other activities we wanted to do. No, IPMS generally doesn't get auto modeling in general, but don't hammer them too hard. For the most part they are historic modelers. In 99% of the categories they are recreating historic vehicles and documentation and precision is important. It is very much as if the factory stock category dominated our hobby. Fortunately it doesn't. We have much broader "artistic" categories. Our club is more about the social end of things and getting people it to the hobby. Very laid back. I suppose just what you would expect from a group of old southern Californians. We run the spectrum of models from detail freaks like myself to 10 year olds who play with their models when they are done. Most of us just get a kick out of cars. Modeling is our way of doing what we can't afford to do with 1:1 cars. Sorry you got burnt! Companionship in modeling is a great thing and I am glad you are able to share that electronically.

Edited by Pete J.

I think everyone builds for themselves. Some care more about what others think. Who doesn't enjoy a good comment or question from another builder..or anyone else as far as that goes? I build subjects that interest me. I try to add enough detail to make my 1/25 look like a shrunken 1:1. I'm by no means a "master builder". I do okay and am getting a little better every build I do. I have found that patience is the best skill to aquire. I would suggest to anyone who wants to better their building skills to take the time to do it right the first time. If you have to do it over, then go ahead . There is no rush or deadlines ( for most of us anyway), and the finished product will show.

When critiquing others work, I believe it to be the up most importance to consider what the builder was aiming for. I have found that some people are happy to make a real nice looking model. Others are going for ultra detail and realism. There is no point to point out missing details if the builder could care less about them. I've seen some awesome curbsides. If the person was going for realism or accuracy, then go ahead and make some helpful suggestions. But remember...they are just models.