Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know Vic's resin?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got the '47 Plymouth coupe.  Very thick in spots, molded-in grille detail has numerous pinholes, body was pulled off of the mold core prematurely as it rises up towards the front.  Every so often, I hack away at it with a Dremel, but in the end I think I'm going to end up doing my own conversion on a '41 body, same as how this one was done.

29 minutes ago, Mark said:

Very thick in spots, molded-in grille detail has numerous pinholes, body was pulled off of the mold core prematurely as it rises up towards the front...

Yup. I found a couple when I was packing last week. Not quite as bad as all that, but pinholey, missing rocker panel on one, etc. Only thing is, for some of his subjects, he's the the only game in town AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Yea, terrible, terrible , just awful stuff. No one would be able to make anything out of any of those. 😉

I don't believe anybody said that. At least I'm dammed sure I didn't.

But his quality isn't usually top notch, and is inconsistent. That's the simple truth.

Some of his pieces I have aren't any worse than some Flintstone stuff, which can also be spotty in quality.

But I do NOT believe I should have to correct literally hundreds of pinholes in something, or fabricate missing areas that just didn't get molded.

Some people get their work RIGHT before they sell it, and to some it obviously doesn't matter.

But yes, a competent modeler CAN build beautiful models from his stuff (as is the case with the re-released "junk" kits that get hated on from time to time here), as you demonstrate convincingly above.  B)

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't believe anybody said that. At least I'm dammed sure I didn't.

But his quality isn't usually top notch, and is inconsistent. That's the simple truth.

Some of his pieces I have aren't any worse than some Flintstone stuff, which can also be spotty in quality.

But I do NOT believe I should have to correct literally hundreds of pinholes in something, or fabricate missing areas that just didn't get molded.

Some people get their work RIGHT before they sell it, and to some it obviously doesn't matter.

But yes, a competent modeler CAN build beautiful models from his stuff (as is the case with the re-released "junk" kits that get hated on from time to time here), as you demonstrate convincingly above.  B)

I'm just foolin around Bill. I know the stuff definitely isn't "Modelhaus" quality ,, shucks, it usually isn't even Flintstone quality but at least it isn't TKM "quality" .[and I use the word "quality" pretty loosely😁]

None of the ones I have are really that bad but then again, I did buy them in person. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A good friend of mine bought me a '58 Pontiac wagon from Vics, and it  had some bad spots on it. So he wrote Vic's resin via ebay. While Vic's sent another body that also had some issues. When Vic's resin responeded to my friends email he was told that he don't cast anything he sell's they are all cast by different suppliers, and he sell's them. For the person who bought a '73 Impala from vic's Try red line resin as he makes not only the 73 but 71, 74  Impala/Caprice Plus a 71  and '72 Chevy wagon as well. I have bought several castings from red line resin without any issues from his castings..

Edited by ranma