Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Years ago I built an AMT '50 Chevy snap fast pickup and had a good time with it. I gave it to a friend later, but thought it'd be fun to do another. The first shot is the original kit with just some decals on it and a set of stakes from somewhere. Second shot is the same model once completed. The third and fourth photos are the new one. Both old and new were painted with red automotive primer, then wet-sanded to bring out the original orange plastic color. They they were clear-coated with clear flat. Some areas have been glossed to break up the surface. Forgot to add the taillights before I took the photo of the new truck, but have added them since.

Fun kits to play with. Wish AMT would bring them back.

50snapotb.jpg

50beater.jpg

50reprise1.jpeg

50reprise2.jpeg

Edited by Terry Jessee
  • Like 1

VERY nice, as to be expected! Agree 100% on the SnapFast kits from AMT; cool ( and varied ) subjects,beautiful engraving, accurate bodies, good fit and finish, all the best qualities for a curbside kit. The only improvement I would hope for would be a proper decal sheet with a few options. The pickup kits would go over big right now, especially, thinking of the extended cab Chevy, both fleet-side and dually, as well as those similar from Dodge.

Very nicely done.. Did you change up the stance? Weathering looks pretty sweet!

I have built several of these and still have a bunch in the stash. It's been awhile since I built anything. You may have just got my creative juices flowing.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:19 AM, bisc63 said:

VERY nice, as to be expected! Agree 100% on the SnapFast kits from AMT; cool ( and varied ) subjects,beautiful engraving, accurate bodies, good fit and finish, all the best qualities for a curbside kit. The only improvement I would hope for would be a proper decal sheet with a few options. The pickup kits would go over big right now, especially, thinking of the extended cab Chevy, both fleet-side and dually, as well as those similar from Dodge.

I agree!

I don't mind the quickie aspect of the Snap Fast series, or even snappers in general if they are of unusual and offbeat subjects not available anywhere else. 

I just don't pine for them when they are just "redeux" of common multiple kits like Corvettes, Camaros and 57 Chevys.

• Like 1