Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush fur?

I'm giving my Badger 200 a thorough cleaning. I've got it completely apart, and I can see what looks like hair or fur inside the body. Is that supposed to be there, some kind of packing or something, or do I need to get it out of there? Thanks for your help.

I've had my Badger 200 apart many times, and found to be completely free of fur every time. My guess is whatever you found shouldn't be there.

Where did you see this stuff? Is it in the paint passages from the bottle to the tip, or in the air passages, or...?

51 minutes ago, Bainford said:

I've had my Badger 200 apart many times, and found to be completely free of fur every time. My guess is whatever you found shouldn't be there.

Where did you see this stuff? Is it in the paint passages from the bottle to the tip, or in the air passages, or...?

It's in the air passage, in the main body of the brush. I can see it where I took out the trigger and the air valve.

32 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Have you been using cheap pipe cleaners in it….they lose “fur” quite easily.

I don't think it's from pipe cleaners. It looks like cat fur. The cat is not allowed in the hobby room, but his fur seems to be everywhere, so I suppose it's possible.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

Edited by Kit Basher

23 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Do you shoot a lot of metallics? Is it possible that the particles from the paint are adhered somehow to the barrel inside?

This is sort of my general purpose brush, so it shoots most everything. Flats, solids, metallics, whatever. Mostly enamels and some lacquers tho. I have another brush I use for water based stuff. I'm getting a lot of old paint out of it. Hopefully, when I'm done scrubbing, I'll give it a shot of compressed air and that will get rid of the fur too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Raoul Ross said:

Just a thought, I would check the filters (both in AND out) on your compressor.

That is an excellent idea! There is definitely a filter on the intake side, and who knows what's in the water trap on the output side. Thanks!

• Like 1