Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya new Z announced

fumi

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Saw this article over at Motor1.

https://www.motor1.com/news/607096/2023-nissan-z-model-kit-by-tamiya/

Interesting that it's getting attention on a news website. COuld very well generate interest and attract some new people into the hobby. 

:)

I didnt think they could do it, but they raised the bar even higher.

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Spotmodel has a release date showing for Mid Dec , that means it should more than likely be out in Japan some time in Nov.

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=57140&language=en&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=530

Should be pre-orders in a few days, there WILL be an All Japan Model & Hobby Show after all on 10/1 & 10/2.  Hasegawa is announcing Nov & Dec this Friday at Noon (JST) - which is 11pm Eastern Thursday Night.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Should be pre-orders in a few days, there WILL be an All Japan Model & Hobby Show after all on 10/1 & 10/2.  Hasegawa is announcing Nov & Dec this Friday at Noon (JST) - which is 11pm Eastern Thursday Night.

Yeah within the next week the pre orders should be up.    It will be interesting to see what Hasegawa has in store too.

47 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Yeah within the next week the pre orders should be up.    It will be interesting to see what Hasegawa has in store too.

I know it won't float a lot of people's goats, but man I'd love to see a new tool Skyline R30.  It would allow me to dump a bunch of mediocre old Fujimi and Aoshima civilian kits, and hopefully they'd make a Gr. A race car version to cover the early years of JTCC. With the R31 pretty much done (except for whatever "resin bits and bobs" reissues) and the R32 winding down I'm not sure it makes sense to go forward into the R33.  The Tamiya kit is pretty basic, but there's not really an "other" side to that kit as the race versions were in JGTC and completely race cars by then rather than "close to factory" the way the Group A cars were.  Going backwards into the R30 seems far more sensible...in my world where I get kits and decals of all the JTCC cars that ever existed anyways. 🤣😜

• Like 2

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I know it won't float a lot of people's goats, but man I'd love to see a new tool Skyline R30.  It would allow me to dump a bunch of mediocre old Fujimi and Aoshima civilian kits, and hopefully they'd make a Gr. A race car version to cover the early years of JTCC. With the R31 pretty much done (except for whatever "resin bits and bobs" reissues) and the R32 winding down I'm not sure it makes sense to go forward into the R33.  The Tamiya kit is pretty basic, but there's not really an "other" side to that kit as the race versions were in JGTC and completely race cars by then rather than "close to factory" the way the Group A cars were.  Going backwards into the R30 seems far more sensible...in my world where I get kits and decals of all the JTCC cars that ever existed anyways. 🤣😜

I agree, it wont float many boats, but the R30 is deserving of a better quality/detailed kit tooled up,  all the current ones are starting to get very long in the tooth if you will, all going to back to the early 80's, and its meet the race car requirement too, decent candidate for sure.

Edited by martinfan5

1 hour ago, Bennyg said:

Very nice! I can’t get any Tamiya products to come up on the English version of the page. Cheers for sharing.

Ben

Yes for whatever reason Hobby Search is no longer offering any Tamiya kits of any genre for "self-export" on their overseas sales site. They're only listed on the Japanese language/Japanese Domestic Sales pages.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

A good R30 would be a pretty good piece particularly since it fulfills the race car AND the movie tie-in requirement since the R30 was the hero car of Seibu Keisatsu which was a hugely popular 80's cop show in Japan. There also even was a Paul Newman commemorative edition with dedicated badging! Newman's Own R30: 1985 Nissan Skyline Paul Newman Edition | Zero260

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 9:40 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Yes for whatever reason Hobby Search is no longer offering any Tamiya kits of any genre for "self-export" on their overseas sales site. They're only listed on the Japanese language/Japanese Domestic Sales pages.

I just received an order. No Tamiya 😂 

On 8/30/2022 at 7:53 AM, niteowl7710 said:

I know it won't float a lot of people's goats, but man I'd love to see a new tool Skyline R30.  It would allow me to dump a bunch of mediocre old Fujimi and Aoshima civilian kits, and hopefully they'd make a Gr. A race car version to cover the early years of JTCC. With the R31 pretty much done (except for whatever "resin bits and bobs" reissues) and the R32 winding down I'm not sure it makes sense to go forward into the R33.

The R30 will float a lot of boats, and I would be surprised if it is not already in their book.  It is hugely popular in Japan and right off the bat I can already come up with 8 variations, zenki/kouki of RS and garden variaty grades, JTC of at least 4 liveries, and we are not even going into the various movie and TV drama cars yet.  I guess Hasegawa is just saving it for later, when the R31 and R32 are completely played out.

There are 2 more possible versions of the R31 not yet released, the Autech version and the Tommykaira, and that's it for the series.  For the R32 I would expect at least one street custom version with non-projector halogen lamps and big muffler, the V-Spec and V-Spec II with Brembo brakes and BBS wheels, and many more Group A and N1 decal variations.  The R33 is a dead end as far as the real car goes, but then I also never expected anyone would produce a new kit of the most unpopular Skyline aka the R31, let alone it was so well received that it already spawned 10 variations, so you never know.

Edited by fumi

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, keyser said:

Hope they do the GT4 version. I like this car. Rear reminds me of Z32, lots of early car too. Hope paint can make roofline better, too flat like 370’s. Thx for pics. 

It'll be in GT3 Spec too when the "R35" GT-R ages out in a couple of years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, keyser said:

Is roof clear, or just black plastic? I’d like to paint it to look more like Z30

Off the top of my head I can't remember if it's on a black tree or not as the body is molded in white. But the entire roof is a separate part for ease of painting regardless of molded color, it's not clear.

10913743b.jpg.65585de37cf674d47eade6d19c62e7d1.jpg

• Thanks 1