Model Cars Magazine Forum

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

With the primer on you can really see the improvements you have made to the body. Are those Halibrand wheels, and did they come in the kit? 

The kit came with something that looked 25% the part so I have gone aftermarket with Harold Bradford's cast wheels & tires. Purchased through Randy Ditton's site. Link below

https://www.modelbuilderswh.com/collections/all

Thanks for the link. It looks like the Halibrands are sold out. I wonder if that means they won't get any more. They also have minilites that I need to do some trans am cars. I had to make my own minilites and halibrands that were a pain to make and didn't turn out that good, so seeing some good ones from this site will help a lot for future builds. 

7 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks for the link. It looks like the Halibrands are sold out. I wonder if that means they won't get any more. They also have minilites that I need to do some trans am cars. I had to make my own minilites and halibrands that were a pain to make and didn't turn out that good, so seeing some good ones from this site will help a lot for future builds. 

Use the contact tab to request your needs. Randy Ditton will respond and restock per your request.

24 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Unfortunately not, must have been epic. I've been mostly at F1 and CART races here in Montreal or Toronto. 

We went to the Indy Car race in downtown Houston when it was still run there. It was awesome. When they switched it to the astrodome we stopped going. They never could really get up to speed there. They had a long straight away when they ran it downtown. We walked all over the course and had many different vantage points. I had a small cooler I could stand on to see over people in front of me.

14 minutes ago, absmiami said:

Go to the Tremblant vintage race next July  -  you’ll like !

I used to go a lot, it's only 40 minutes north of here. I remember in the mid sixties a privateer fellow running a yellow Cobra faster than anyone else. Turns out it was god old csx 2002!

Next is the 2 engines starting with the Cobra. I'm starting with the kit engine but plan to dress it up a bit. Oil pan is from Harold Bradford (HRM). Ron Olsen designed Webber carbs made by Shapeways. Distributor from Connkur, a bit large but beautifully made. I plan to add Protect oil breathers. I also plan to add some fuel lines but a simpler routing than the oft seen 4 branch distribution (there's only so much my old eyes and fat fingers can handle). I also plan to add a coolant overflow reservoir and associated plumbing.

Here's what I got so far, it's a start

Tiger Cobra wip13.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 9:56 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Engines are always a struggle for me and I am happy they are finally done.

I am disappointed is with the Shapeways 3D printed Webbers. I purchased the "high detail" option but they are coarse and poorly shaped.

Check out pic 3 if you ever wondered why Cobras handled better than Tigers...

Tiger Cobra wip14.jpg

Tiger Cobra wip15.jpg

Tiger Cobra wip16.jpg

Nice work from the province that gave Canada two of it's finest icons : Gilles Villeneuve and Guy LaFleur!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

Nice work from the province that gave Canada two of it's finest icons : Gilles Villeneuve and Guy LaFleur!!!

Thank you Ken. I met Lafleur (briefly) years ago, the nicest and most unassuming superstar ever. I was there at Notre Dame when Gilles won for the first time in 78. A lucky win but it made up for all the previous bad luck. F1 was amazing back then, with all these cars looking different from each other and all various engine's sound signatures. Every year 5 or 6 different drivers would win races.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Excellent work on the engines, Pierre. If you had trouble with them, it sure doesn't show it on the final build shots. especially the Cobra mill. It looks so awesome.

Thanks Mark. Now moving faster on chassis work, interior next and keeping my favorite (body paint & decals)  for last.