Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Formula 400 Firebird

Mike C.

This is just the very beginning stages but you gotta start somewhere.  A slight touch with the Dremel and some light sanding with an emery board then a little dab of Tamiya filler Putty and the side scoops are a thing of the past.  I'll let that dry overnight. Next I'll have to make a Ram Air Air cleaner. For this I was able to trim the bottom half if the shaker scoop and the top half of an extra Deserter Air cleaner. The rally lls are soaking in Mr. Clean as they way too shiny chrome and need to be painted Argent. Revell did a pretty good job on these also. You just need a little paint detailing work. The Firestone Wide Ovals are really nice. I think I might just keep the front spoiler and the wheel well pices. I know the y were specific to the T/A , but I kinda like the look of those. The same for the engine turned instrument panel applique. I always liked the look of that over the boring, wood grain of the Formula. They give you a nice decal for that.   20220826_144804.thumb.jpg.e4e21b7f7b9ee9e5f4d7bb8bdcfaf8f4.jpg20220826_145652.thumb.jpg.52e8f1757f5013826c202900eba957e4.jpg

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 2

Don’t give up on the air cleaner. It’s not really that hard to make. I started with a parts box air cleaner that looked close to the oem lid shape. Cut off the snorkel so I had just the round part. Then found a pic on line of a real one for the snorkel angle and to use as a template. Then using flat sheet styrene I forgot the thickness. But I used four layers to make up the height of the housing. Next cut 6 pieces in the shape of the snorkel. Then 2 pieces the same shape but slightly larger to replicate the sheet metal lip the real one has. Next take 4 of the smaller piece and glue 2 together twice so there’s a pair of them. Drill the biggest hole possible through them once they dry. Glue the other small pieces on for the bottom of the snorkel and sand the seems smooth. Drill a hole that looks correct in the larger pieces and add them to the tops. For the thin bump on the top I just used some left over shavings that looked right. Add the snorkels to the main housing in the proper angle and it’s done. 

1A5980D8-BCA4-4FF2-9862-2A727EBDF97A.jpeg

249C03B6-DDD3-4824-9D55-D2946136E5F7.jpeg

• Like 2

The front spoiler and wheel well pieces (we always called the rear ones wheel pants) were available through the dealer's parts department, and worked just fine on the non-Trans Am Firebirds. My friend with a brand spanking new 78 Firebird bought and installed them. It was a great looking car.

If you want to use them, they won't be incorrect except for a factory stock model. The factory parts were available for owner installation.

12 hours ago, IHSS said:

Don’t give up on the air cleaner. It’s not really that hard to make. I started with a parts box air cleaner that looked close to the oem lid shape. Cut off the snorkel so I had just the round part. Then found a pic on line of a real one for the snorkel angle and to use as a template. Then using flat sheet styrene I forgot the thickness. But I used four layers to make up the height of the housing. Next cut 6 pieces in the shape of the snorkel. Then 2 pieces the same shape but slightly larger to replicate the sheet metal lip the real one has. Next take 4 of the smaller piece and glue 2 together twice so there’s a pair of them. Drill the biggest hole possible through them once they dry. Glue the other small pieces on for the bottom of the snorkel and sand the seems smooth. Drill a hole that looks correct in the larger pieces and add them to the tops. For the thin bump on the top I just used some left over shavings that looked right. Add the snorkels to the main housing in the proper angle and it’s done. 

1A5980D8-BCA4-4FF2-9862-2A727EBDF97A.jpeg

249C03B6-DDD3-4824-9D55-D2946136E5F7.jpeg

Man Jeff. That's some impressive work. I just bought a pack sheet styrene that I haven't even opened yet. I guess I'll be putting that to use. The GMC truck air cleaner looks a little small I I'm sure I have something else in all my parts bins that would be more fitting. For me it's gotta have the ram air setup. I'm toying with the idea if a 4-speed conversion. I have a Muncie from the 68 Camaro parts car. Gotta look at how difficult it would be topside would be with that shift boot well in the console.

3 hours ago, SSNJim said:

The front spoiler and wheel well pieces (we always called the rear ones wheel pants) were available through the dealer's parts department, and worked just fine on the non-Trans Am Firebirds. My friend with a brand spanking new 78 Firebird bought and installed them. It was a great looking car.

If you want to use them, they won't be incorrect except for a factory stock model. The factory parts were available for owner installation.

Thanks Jim. A customer could get most parts over the counter at the dealers back then. The hood tach was another item. Most of the time the dealership would even install the parts for you. Many people did this with the rear spoiler also, but I always felt that the Firebird looked right with no spoiler, so that's the way I'm going on this one. Taking a few "day 2" liberties with the engine turned instrument panel and a few things here and there.

2 hours ago, oldscool said:

Nice to see someone build one that's not a T/A.

Always been a big fan of the '70 Formula 400. A ram air car is a huge bonus. Fun fact, although ram air 4 was avaliable on the Formula for '70, none were ever built. Only RA llls . All the RA IVs went to the T/As. Can't remember the number off hand.

Edited by Mike C.

Long way from painting thre main body, but shot the undercarriage with my recipie for the GM red oxide they used th do the F body's of this era with. The only redish primers see way too brown, so I found this sort of satin VHT in a red enough looking color. I spray the brown underneath it to darken it a little. 

20220827_164206.thumb.jpg.a05f8c5d648e38e54a9b7f5124228068.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Man Jeff. That's some impressive work. I just bought a pack sheet styrene that I haven't even opened yet. I guess I'll be putting that to use. The GMC truck air cleaner looks a little small I I'm sure I have something else in all my parts bins that would be more fitting. For me it's gotta have the ram air setup. I'm toying with the idea if a 4-speed conversion. I have a Muncie from the 68 Camaro parts car. Gotta look at how difficult it would be topside would be with that shift boot well in the console.

Thanks Mike appreciate it. I started the same way with a pack of assorted sheet thicknesses. The technique I described previously is how I made the scopes also. The Formula was my first time trying anything like this.  I used a lot of internet pics and just layered, carved and shaped until it looked right. I did experiment with a TA kit hood before doing the full Formula conversion. Like Ponche’s TA on CHIPs. And the 4spd conversion isn’t to hard either. I’m currently doing a Monogram 79 TA with a 4spd. Just a little filling and hole cutting. I have quit a few 2nd gen Firebird projects going on. Keep going with yours. It’s great to see another non TA being built and yours is looking great. 

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Just got my resin Fomula hood in the mail and it ice but it's in 1/25. The Revell hood is 1/24 now I need to decide how to fix this problem.

20220829_130311.thumb.jpg.5efa88722b56a6fec80fc344c030d58b.jpg

You might want to shim it on the outside of each scoop, that'll put the headlight dips in the proper alignment with the nose. Then trim the rest.

Thanks for the tip but I decided to go a different route. I first mad a sort of plug for the shaker hoke. Wile sanding, I constantly remembered to take off a little at a time and keep checking for fit. And remember that I only have one of these to screw up so I don't want to do that. The plug is not perfect but the rest I can correct with filler. I'm going to let that dry overnight.  As for the scoops, they were a little more involved than I expected they would be.  But there not glued in Place yet. I'll need to do the putty work first. 

20220829_160326.thumb.jpg.61242b2dbe9f54aaa38605ef0236e603.jpg20220829_161014.thumb.jpg.eb9e0f8333389f51b0c1a05095abde3c.jpg20220829_162007.thumb.jpg.9e70e5185421162c3b84d933bf01a08f.jpg

• Like 1

Slowly coming along with this hood. I sanded the shaker plug down, all the while trying to keep that body line in the center. First using an old piece of 2x4 then finishing of with a new emory board (another good dollar store item). Soon I will be able to glue on the twin snorkels.

20220830_084232.thumb.jpg.15195d70373bd12dbecaa77037c6f56b.jpg20220830_085226.thumb.jpg.3ac970c7f0459e6aef000985eb6ba8f8.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Just found this on google. Could have saved me a boatload of work. Oh well, I'm committed to the cheaper route.

OIP (5).jpg

I recognize that pic. "Reliable Resin".  One of , if not THE most notorious casters in the business. 

You're better off with what you got ,, at least you actually got it.

• Thanks 1