Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first Dragster AMT 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery

Kiwi_Bloke

You have a nice stance already! This kit has a notoriously ill-fitting hood, so take your time fitting it. The chrome strip on the sides (especially the sides of the hood) is somewhat soft and indistinct. You may want to file it away and replace with a strip of half-round, or, since it's a drag car, file it off and leave the body "shaved" of superfluous trim. Let the paint job show off the body. It's an old kit, but still seems to be one of those perennial favorites that charms us model car guys; it's still one of my favorites in spite of minor shortcomings.

Looking forward to seeing how you handle this one.

Cool project!

The front wheels depend on if you want to make this adhere to actual racing class rules? If so the best class to aim for would be Gas. In which case it would require functional brakes on the front and that would eliminate the 12 spoke wheels. Coming from a perspective of traditional accuracy the steel wheels up front would be a good match for the 5 spokes out back. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zippi said:

Love the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery Stewart.  You got a good start on this one.  Just finished one myself.

What do you do with the truly horrible chassis? I am thinking about cutting the floor pan and molded in exhaust out and starting again.

5 hours ago, Kiwi_Bloke said:

What do you do with the truly horrible chassis? I am thinking about cutting the floor pan and molded in exhaust out and starting again.

I like the stance on your 40.  I choose to use the stock chassis and cut out enough so I could fit those big ole meats under the fenders.  Came out pretty good for a shelf queen.

20220822_082823.jpg.22905ea9416b5fefa66c60cb7d47d09f.jpg

6 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Hi Stewart, I just cut out the floor pans and narrowed the frame rails on mine.

20220816_124732.jpg

I am looking at doing the same, where did you find the diff and front suspension? I don't really have a spares box yet but do have a couple of kits I can rob.

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

I like the stance on your 40.  I choose to use the stock chassis and cut out enough so I could fit those big ole meats under the fenders.  Came out pretty good for a shelf queen.

20220822_082823.jpg.22905ea9416b5fefa66c60cb7d47d09f.jpg

That came out well, I am considering taking your route but also looking at whether I can push myself with this one.

4 hours ago, Kiwi_Bloke said:

I am looking at doing the same, where did you find the diff and front suspension? I don't really have a spares box yet but do have a couple of kits I can rob.

Rear diff is out of a monogram 69 Camaro and the front suspension is out of a late 70's MPC Corvette.