Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1987 Buick Grand National

87 Grand

Hey guys this is one of my all time favorite cars. I just think black is the best color. And when done right you can't go wrong. I made the most accurate build for that year of GN. I think I got pretty close. Tell me what you think. I did not use the kit tires, I felt they were a little too small.

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

I hope guys all enjoy this as much as i did building it. It was not without frustrations though, the paint really gave me a fit because it was black and I had to have it perfect. I really don't like how the front end has to be joined, but with a little wiggle and some filler, I got finally. Well tell me what like or dislike. Comments are always welcome.

Hey thanks guys for all the great feedback. I used some old nascar tires on this kit. I used to have a 82 Regal t-type that I used to drive in college. It was in mint condition. I sold it and regret it. I'm going to get this kit again so I can build the 1:1 of the Regal that I used to own. Thanks again everyone.

That's one of the nicest Grand National's I've ever seen!!

Super clean paint, interior and engine details make this one a super standout!

Back when this car was new, I happen to see one running along in my direction------I had my '69 AMX at the time and happen to catch up to the guy at the next light. I dismissed the car as another one of GM's poseur's (they were good at that for too many years) and figured I'll just leave this guy at the light.

Boy was I wrong!! This car was running wheel to wheel with my AMX and I had a Hipo 390 with a 4spd! :D

I don't know if he would have ever left me totally as we had run out of road, but I looked at those differently from that time on for sure!

Oh, and the GNX was simply mind blowing! Too bad GM didn't let Buick keep this type of car in their lineup------at least put the engine in something as worthy. :)

Very clean built...I can also attest to the "sleeperness" of that car. I was Controller of a Buick store back then and drove many a GN....they were fun and great fun around people who did not underatand what they were capible of doing. They were the fastest product coupe made in America back in the day so they didn't really talk the talk, but they sure could walk the walk. They were fun, almost as much fun as the Thunderbird Super Coupe I had as a demo from the Ford store we had. The GN put you back into your seat when you got on the gas, but the Turbo Super Coupe had a stick, so on the road, a nice little downshift, heavy gas and that little 2.3L four would explode to life, throw the front end up in the air and just leap forward like your Doctor is giving you an unexpected rectial exam....man what a rush. I enjoyed the GN too, but back in the 80's GM was the king of gray plastic interiors ( I mean, just look at the dash on your model, pods of gray plastic lumps stuck together....flat, square and boring) and I could not get past that problem on just about all GM offerings of that era. Anyway, you sure captured the look and feel of the car, and you are right, the black paint is the ony way to go and you did it beautifully. Nice build.

I went back to have a second look, as I usually do and noticed something that I missed before. Your tires, which I agree look better on the car then the kit supplied ones, appear to have very little if almost no tread left on them.....I suspect that that is very accurate for a car with the power and torgue that this thing has....it could eat rear tires for lunch without even blinking. Nice little detail....not all cars have factory fresh tires all of the time.

Definitely a great looking car to say the least. Many would consider me "fortunate" to having owned an 87 Grand National. However, I can personally attest to the fact the car was a mechanical nightmare to put it mildly. The GN I owned was a money pit just to keep it road worthy. These cars were great for Sunday drivers, but if you had to depend on them for everyday transportation, you were hosed. Parts for these cars were not only expensive, but also next to impossible to find. The turbos had a bad habit of shelling out, which in turn ate up the intercooler. The brake master cylinders also were some of the most unreliable parts GM ever manufactured. The accumulators on those master cylinders were forever going bad.

My car had the digital dash as well. When you got to 85mph, the guages started flashing and the speedometer wouldn't go any higher. The car was more of a conversation piece than it was a real performer. I was not the least bit sorry to trade that car for an 87 Monte Carlo SS straight up. That Monte as a million more times more reliable than that Buick. The guy I traded with drove the GN for about 3 months when the engine went sour. He parked it for over 3 years before finally selling it for parts for some ridiculous low price. I drove that Monte SS for almost 8 years with no menchanical issues other than replacing a fuel pump and an alternator.

As for your model, you did nail the overall look and feel of that car perfectly. I also built a replica of my car and had fits trying to get decent black paint on the body. Your paint job looks immaculate and you should be danged proud of the job you did on that car. Even in scale, that car is still a head turner. Great job!!!!! :)

Very clean built...I can also attest to the "sleeperness" of that car. I was Controller of a Buick store back then and drove many a GN....they were fun and great fun around people who did not underatand what they were capible of doing. They were the fastest product coupe made in America back in the day so they didn't really talk the talk, but they sure could walk the walk. They were fun, almost as much fun as the Thunderbird Super Coupe I had as a demo from the Ford store we had. The GN put you back into your seat when you got on the gas, but the Turbo Super Coupe had a stick, so on the road, a nice little downshift, heavy gas and that little 2.3L four would explode to life, throw the front end up in the air and just leap forward like your Doctor is giving you an unexpected rectial exam....man what a rush. I enjoyed the GN too, but back in the 80's GM was the king of gray plastic interiors ( I mean, just look at the dash on your model, pods of gray plastic lumps stuck together....flat, square and boring) and I could not get past that problem on just about all GM offerings of that era. Anyway, you sure captured the look and feel of the car, and you are right, the black paint is the ony way to go and you did it beautifully. Nice build.

The Turbo Coupe was the 2.3 and built from '83- '88. The Super Coupe (from '89-'92) had the 3.8 V6 with a supercharger.

Well guys I don't know what to say is that I am honored to have such great modelers commend me on my GN. I couldn't be prouder at this moment. I worked really hard on this build because I have a passion for GN's. It took me abut a year on and off with this project to try to hit every detail for that car. The paint was the worst as I am a perfectionist with some issues. My wife already promised me that when the kids get a little older and out of the house that no matter what it costs me I can get one. Unfortunalety not the GNX version. They are just way too highly priced for my wallet. I know that these cars can be a little bit of a money if you don't get a really mint one. But I am willing to pay that price to have one for a Sunday driver. Again thanks for all the great feedback and wonderful comments. Much appreciated!!

Boy was I wrong!! This car was running wheel to wheel with my AMX and I had a Hipo 390 with a 4spd! <_<

I don't know if he would have ever left me totally as we had run out of road, but I looked at those differently from that time on for sure!

Oh, and the GNX was simply mind blowing! Too bad GM didn't let Buick keep this type of car in their lineup------at least put the engine in something as worthy. :P

It doesn't surprise me......their like that RX7. :huh:

I agree with, it's a shame not keeping this car in the lineup, that engine was worthy for many things, got to love a turbo 6. Yeah I always loved the GNX, it is a muscle car but untraditional, it's funny too see, when you're at a drag strip to hear it go down because you expect to hear a V8 not a turbo 6. This car was quick for it's time and still is, the turbo 6 was something different and didn't they run high 12's low 13's stock? <_< That's quick!

• 1 year later...

Verrrrrrrrrry nice work there and what a paint job! I have always liked these and have a couple of them to build....someday!

I worked at a Buick dealer from '83-'84 just as the T-Types were coming out and remember taking one for a "test drive". A friend of mine offered me a deal on a leftover '87 GN that was hanging around in early '88 at dealer he worked for. I had just bought a new pickup and couldn't swing the second car payment. Besides, my truck was black and I was already cursing myself for buying that color vehicle and trying to keep it clean!

Good luck on your search for a 1:1 later.

I tried painting a model black once, I think it was 1962 or 63, haven't tried that again.

Nice job on this build, love that interior and you pulled off the black paint job.