Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 32 Ford Center Crossmember

'36 frame could work as far as dimensions go.  Ford cars '35 through '40 use the same frame, with some differences as far as body mounts and front crossmember.  '35-'41 pickups use that frame too, again with differences in those areas.

6 hours ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Shapeways does carry some with or without boxed frame for under $16 

Ack!! Lol, I was working on my own 3D model of a '32 Ford frame with intention of offering stock and boxed versions with '32 K-member and '40 Ford-style X members. Looks like somebody beat me to it!! Good for him :)

31 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

Ack!! Lol, I was working on my own 3D model of a '32 Ford frame with intention of offering stock and boxed versions with '32 K-member and '40 Ford-style X members. Looks like somebody beat me to it!! Good for him :)

I would interested and more than likely others

5 hours ago, Spex84 said:

His isn't 1/25 scale...

15 hours ago, Spex84 said:

If the quality of the project yields parts as nice as your other offerings, I would still consider seeing it through!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 1:45 PM, Calb56 said:

Off topic but anyone know what happened to Mr. Hoving? His Fokti Album of research material is still up.

Rik is still active in the car world, but sadly has left the model car hobby. If you do Facebook and/or Instagram you can find him under his own name and Custom Car Chronicles. Also the Custom Car Chronicles website. His hobby now is doing digital restyling work of traditional custom cars.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, Calb56 said:

Link?

Here's a direct link to the shop on shapeways for that designer. Cool stuff, I'll be curious to see how the ones Jon ordered fit up to the Revell kit. The designer does have them labelled as 1/24, but I guess we'll see.

@Jon Haigwood, please be sure to share pics when you get the frames.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dsdesign

19 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Here's a direct link to the shop on shapeways for that designer. Cool stuff, I'll be curious to see how the ones Jon ordered fit up to the Revell kit. The designer does have them labelled as 1/24, but I guess we'll see.

@Jon Haigwood, please be sure to share pics when you get the frames.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dsdesign

For comparison' I did find the Shapways frame a bit on the rough side and needed some work to smooth them up. 

32 frame from Revell 29 "A" on a Drag City 3w body20221104_083558.jpg.463f23f831828bbc49a61f914c9e4218.jpg

Shapways Frame on Drag City body 20221104_083738_HDR.jpg.8ae03d3b69f9aa2eb5c8d26aa5c5f883.jpg

32 frame from Revell 29 on a Revell 32 3w

20221104_083906_HDR.jpg.884a95396876be8b08fc952693ebb11f.jpg

Shapeways frame on a Revell 3w

20221104_084009.jpg.c8c5372d86d9860a8460027f88427aa0.jpg

• Like 1

I tend to reserve my Revell '32 Ford chassis assemblies for highboy applications, where the side rail details are visible. For channeled, lowboy applications much of the chassis is hidden so the critical elements involve the shape of the front half of the rails (their curvature and the front horns). Over the years I have come to the point where I mainly scratch build my channeled hot rod chassis. In 2021 I did a chopped and channeled 3-window using the Revell 1/25th body and the Hemi from the Revell 5-window, so the engine mounting details and dimensions would be those you would find on the kit chassis. The front part of the rails were cut from thick styrene sheet shaped from a tracing I did of the side rails of the Revell Deuce chassis. The rear has a rather crude vertical Z. This was because once the model was assembled the details of the chassis would be buried under the channeled bodied from the firewall rearwards. I built an x-member from styrene strip and used my Dremel to shape the center member to cradle the transmission. It's a simpler and less-detailed when compared to the properly detailed approach Bill Engwer posted above, but I thought I'd post it to show that, when the underside of the model will only be viewed straight on, a simpler approach can work fairly well without cannibalizing another kit from my stash. For higher detail I have adapted the k-member from the Revellogram '37 Fords or the x-member from the Revellogram. '40 Fords.

This is the entirely scratch built chassis referred to above:

Chassis-Summary-2-web.jpg

This is a bare metal Deuce Highboy completed in 2019. The chassis is the Revell 1/25th '32 Ford  which has a 3" z at the rear and a traditional buggy-spring rear suspension with a quick change. This used the '37 Ford k-member.

Chassis-Summary-web.jpg

On 11/3/2022 at 1:05 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Rik is still active in the car world, but sadly has left the model car hobby. If you do Facebook and/or Instagram you can find him under his own name and Custom Car Chronicles. Also the Custom Car Chronicles website. His hobby now is doing digital restyling work of traditional custom cars.

No, I don't do either but it's good to know he's still around. It's sad he's left this hobby, he did great work with RMoM.

• Like 1