Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wasn’t exactly sure what to call or where to place this 77 AMT Pinto with an MPC Fiero Body Kit. Hopefully, I didn’t completely miss the mark. I’m really swinging for the fences with this one as it might be well above my skill level. Never cared for the look of the full back window Pinto’s so that was the first thing to go. Got a couple pieces of the body kit on and it doesn’t look too bad. Time will tell if I can turn it into the vision I have in my head or if it becomes a waking nightmare. More to come, thanks for looking, all comments welcome.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

• Like 7

Since I started a Mustang II like this 40 years ago, wide flares to be an IMSA contender, I will follow along and encourage you to finish the build.  

You are on the right track, and the "easy" one at that with the already molded Fiero IMSA parts.  Looks good.

You going for a street or track car?

• Thanks 1

Back in the day I owned a 76 small window Pinto and a 77 big window hatchback ("The Incredible Flying Pinto"). When driving, I preferred the big window and the hatchback was handy. External looks wide. I always preferred the look of the small window.

I suppose I should explain that nickname for the '77, since I wrote it out. This one Christmas, my wife and I were supposed to go visit with my inlaws and then with my family down in the San Fernando Valley, about 75-80 miles away. We left the house with me driving and our 1 year old son in his car seat in back. We got about 4 miles from the house where we were passing some onion fields. The car ahead of us went to turn off on a farm road. So I went to step on the brake pedal, but the brake pedal in those with an automatic is quite wide. Too big for the space available. My right foot hit the back side of the brake pedal and pushed it up toward me. The clip that kept the pedal from coming toward me broke and the pedal got caught in my shoe laces. So my right foot was stuck under the pedal and can't apply the brakes. So I grabbed the hand brake and pulled, but it didn't do much. So I took evasive action to the right into the shoulder. The other driver saw me coming and did the same. So I scraped along the side of the other car and that sent me head on toward a berm around the field. Hit that and launched the car in the air. Landed 75 feet out in the plowed field (my buddy and I later measured the marks in the dirt) and bounced to a stop with the rear tires dragging. The front digging into the dirt smashed the bottom of the radiator and rendered it undriveable. The other folks were nice and gave me a ride to our house so I could get my pickup and car trailer to haul it home. No real damage to people or either car otherwise. Broke a glass baking dish of food we were taking for our late Christmas dinner.......

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 7:49 AM, steveracer said:

Since I started a Mustang II like this 40 years ago, wide flares to be an IMSA contender, I will follow along and encourage you to finish the build.  

You are on the right track, and the "easy" one at that with the already molded Fiero IMSA parts.  Looks good.

You going for a street or track car?

Thanks for the response. I'm looking to build a track car to the extent my skill level will allow. At this point I'm planning to keep everything under the body OOB. Looking to upgrade the interior with a roll cage and racing seats. Thanks for the encouragement, I might need it! 😄 

On 10/5/2022 at 7:34 PM, DustyMojave said:

Back in the day I owned a 76 small window Pinto and a 77 big window hatchback ("The Incredible Flying Pinto"). When driving, I preferred the big window and the hatchback was handy. External looks wide. I always preferred the look of the small window.

I suppose I should explain that nickname for the '77, since I wrote it out. This one Christmas, my wife and I were supposed to go visit with my inlaws and then with my family down in the San Fernando Valley, about 75-80 miles away. We left the house with me driving and our 1 year old son in his car seat in back. We got about 4 miles from the house where we were passing some onion fields. The car ahead of us went to turn off on a farm road. So I went to step on the brake pedal, but the brake pedal in those with an automatic is quite wide. Too big for the space available. My right foot hit the back side of the brake pedal and pushed it up toward me. The clip that kept the pedal from coming toward me broke and the pedal got caught in my shoe laces. So my right foot was stuck under the pedal and can't apply the brakes. So I grabbed the hand brake and pulled, but it didn't do much. So I took evasive action to the right into the shoulder. The other driver saw me coming and did the same. So I scraped along the side of the other car and that sent me head on toward a berm around the field. Hit that and launched the car in the air. Landed 75 feet out in the plowed field (my buddy and I later measured the marks in the dirt) and bounced to a stop with the rear tires dragging. The front digging into the dirt smashed the bottom of the radiator and rendered it undriveable. The other folks were nice and gave me a ride to our house so I could get my pickup and car trailer to haul it home. No real damage to people or either car otherwise. Broke a glass baking dish of food we were taking for our late Christmas dinner.......

Wow that's a great story, thanks for sharing. As a guy that has spent some time in a police car (the front not the back 😁). I'd say you were very lucky the car didn't end up on it's roof. Glad to hear everyone walked away unscathed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished the interior and got some paint on the body. Not sure why the body looks like an eggshell but I'm tired of fighting with it so that's the way it's going to stay. Waiting for the body to get good and dry so I can detail around the windows, etc. and put some decals on it. Ultimately hoping to produce a car that a local business owner who lives to race but is forced to work might race on the weekends at his local track using the car to promote his business so he can write his hobby off as a tax deduction!

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...