Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread

Calb56

Again, I apologize to everyone for my leaving this build thread "hanging" for months now... there was a lot of excitement when I introduced this build. Myself included!

Life has interfered. I've done nothing in months on anything. In the last 8 months my wife lost her youngest son and her father. Just last week, I had my first scare with my mom. Now, it looks like my wife might be looking at legal issues regarding her father's estate.

I sincerely hope to start building, possibly after the holidays. I haven't even been online much...

If anyone is interested, maybe a 2024 TRoG California Drag?

I don't know. I want to thank everyone here, those who participated and supported. Heck, for this forum period!

Have a wonderful holiday season. 

Charles 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 12:14 PM, Ulf said:

First as last, I'm sorry for not being able to finish but it has been a really hard year, I have really had enough dead lines in life and in a few months I will stop working in its current form and then there will be both time and power for model building. My coupe will also get a Shop Truck as support. Maybe I should convert my pictures to a WIP thread. Many thanks for all the kind comments, both cars will be ready but first the work life must be finished.

IMG_7369.thumb.jpeg.cbbceb079899dcefb5a82505156221b2.jpeg

Nice work on the coupe, and I agree you should start a separate build thread for your work to date. 

• Thanks 1

I am definitely in for a TROG 20XX, 24. It’s a hobby !

Anyway, I will continue to work on my coupe and start a separera VIP. The TRoG theme is brilliantly good, challenging and gives room to look far and wide in the parts box.

Edited by Ulf
Spelling
  • Like 1

On wheels for the first time to manifest my fresh start of this project. Someone may notice that in the picture there is an incorrect crossing of timelines in that the coupe stands in front of a printed image of a fantastic diorama that I did not build but saw on FB. The diorama represents the mythical Jo-Han factory, an emergency solution for me because the glue is drying my intended diorama plate right now.

IMG_7418.thumb.jpeg.e417a7dffa7d1b179db6a4586f2ff5ec.jpeg

• Like 5

This is the result of the last days work on the coupe or at least the project.

I have learned that starting a project with just lots of parts without a plan is harder than I tought. The coupe is like a soap or rather a pear, it is difficult to hold and there are few references, in addition, I have always been afraid of damaging the front axle.

I glued together a couple of 4x8 inch foam boards, glued on a graph paper and then soaked this in the controversial product pledge floor polish and calved out the air bubbles with a brush handle. When everything had dried, I glued some blocks of foam board, plasticard and topped it off with some amateurish weathering. All that remains is to drill a few holes and secure the frame with some sewing thread.

IMG_7446.thumb.jpeg.8315a852095c11c7ee42f22f738e5f62.jpeg

IMG_7452.thumb.jpeg.79993f6d7a118e972fe900c61544fe74.jpegIMG_7451.thumb.jpeg.6a78d2b6ad6f52f4202fb2e8c564fe51.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bad photo, slow progress but it is moving again after a six-month hiatus when I was too stressed to work on this project. Plasticard and putty. The Moon tank is an AMT from 1962, tooling has developed but I had an nice hour working on it.

IMG_7583.jpeg.b70c14889fc530a7f3033ec03512bdc2.jpegIMG_7571.jpeg.412b3f36eee4ee7babd991419cfb9082.jpeg

• Like 6

He's edgy, inflexible and quite slow at the start but that's the driver I have. Now I can fit the steering wheel, seat, pedals and gear lever. Maybe one of these 3D printers can make a slightly better looking old man for the relatively small group of gasser builders?

IMG_7652.thumb.jpeg.6edce04e6170d3282c80c34ac6644a94.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ulf said:

He's edgy, inflexible and quite slow at the start but that's the driver I have. Now I can fit the steering wheel, seat, pedals and gear lever. Maybe one of these 3D printers can make a slightly better looking old man for the relatively small group of gasser builders?

IMG_7652.thumb.jpeg.6edce04e6170d3282c80c34ac6644a94.jpeg

Now that’s is functional modelling aid! You should really take all your posts and merge them into a separate thread for this car. 

12 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

Now that’s is functional modelling aid! You should really take all your posts and merge them into a separate thread for this car. 

Thank you 
I will put together a wip thread in the future, I am working on the text. American is not my native language so I want to work on the text before starting such a thread. Deep Translate on the net is very good but then I have some pride too. My productivity will increase in the next few months when I stop working. Now this project has reached the desirable level that the model is driving me forward, flow, nirvana or whatever you want to call it but it's fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ulf said:

Thank you 
I will put together a wip thread in the future, I am working on the text. American is not my native language so I want to work on the text before starting such a thread. Deep Translate on the net is very good but then I have some pride too. My productivity will increase in the next few months when I stop working. Now this project has reached the desirable level that the model is driving me forward, flow, nirvana or whatever you want to call it but it's fun.

I just feel your talent is being lost in an obscure thread in a part of the forum that is infrequently visited, I won’t mind if your translation to English( not American(sorry had to correct that)) is not perfect. It’s the work that kinda speaks for itself. Keep having fun sir! 

1 hour ago, Ulf said:

Thank you 

It's a very cool project, Ulf. Nice work, sir!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

It's a very cool project, Ulf. Nice work, sir!

Ulf, your work is definitely an inspiration... I'm glad that you're still working on this project. I feel bad that with life, I've allowed this thread to dwindle away. Definitely start a wipe thread of your build!

I hope to start another California Drags build, because I love the parameters of it.

Thanks again for your work Ulf.

Charles Erickson 

Wow, a kit I've never seen ? thanks !
I would like Atlantis to release such a kit.
My Bob will only help me to get the dimensions inside the coupé.

Edited by Ulf
word

Finally finished mine just this past Friday night. I started with the Revell '29 Ford (2015 issue) and combined various kit bashing, parts box, PE, resin, 3D print etc. 

TROG1.jpg.5f06946d27794bfb1ac42be07da62ddd.jpgTROG10.jpg.0e245a9533b120f5afdc1f2268ae1d3c.jpgTROG9.jpg.104894a2fa695166010cbc722cab9f36.jpgTROG8.jpg.edadd526dc02f4a0f675168bca8bb578.jpgTROG7.jpg.a48fe2884567c35241431f3a6593e430.jpgTROG6.jpg.84e2c24565b7afd880d0e5cf0d693b4c.jpgTROG5.jpg.3fb9da8e3fe5468089de94fa040aa185.jpgTROG4.jpg.17ebde37c0285091aad7b059924108f8.jpgTROG3.jpg.4a8d3542f8130f3b23844935ff1bc77f.jpgTROG2.jpg.ddbdde7a596e7219657d924ab3b093fb.jpg

For those so inclined, here is the link to the build folder. https://public.fotki.com/machman/in_progress_model_cars/29-ford-trog/

• Bolide Plastics (Now VCG Resins) motor with Jiggler heads
  • Roth Outlaw Transmission
  • R&M Dipstick, Resin bomber seat with 3D printed seat cushion
  • Skirts cut/modified from AMT body
  • Frame modified from Revell '29 Ford pickup kit with modified crossmember and transmission mounts, relocated friction shock mounting points etc.
  • Front springs cut/lowered with modified hairpins 
  • Narrowed rear axle from Roth Outlaw mated to parts box differential
  • Rear Springs lowered/modified and "taped" per old racer pics (not seen in these pics, but visible in build folder)
  • Scratched the rear inner wheel arches
  • PE Radiator (using the Mark Batson instructions)
  • Cut open the grill and install mesh screen
  • Aluminum rod rollbar
  • VCG Resins Tiki head shift knob
  • various PE, Mastercraft resin nut/bolt heads throughout, wired/plumbed etc. 

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Finally finished mine just this past Friday night. I started with the Revell '29 Ford (2015 issue) and combined various kit bashing, parts box, PE, resin, 3D print etc. 

TROG1.jpg.5f06946d27794bfb1ac42be07da62ddd.jpgTROG10.jpg.0e245a9533b120f5afdc1f2268ae1d3c.jpgTROG9.jpg.104894a2fa695166010cbc722cab9f36.jpgTROG8.jpg.edadd526dc02f4a0f675168bca8bb578.jpgTROG7.jpg.a48fe2884567c35241431f3a6593e430.jpgTROG6.jpg.84e2c24565b7afd880d0e5cf0d693b4c.jpgTROG5.jpg.3fb9da8e3fe5468089de94fa040aa185.jpgTROG4.jpg.17ebde37c0285091aad7b059924108f8.jpgTROG3.jpg.4a8d3542f8130f3b23844935ff1bc77f.jpgTROG2.jpg.ddbdde7a596e7219657d924ab3b093fb.jpg

For those so inclined, here is the link to the build folder

• Bolide Plastics (Now VCG Resins) motor with Jiggler heads
  • Roth Outlaw Transmission
  • R&M Dipstick, Resin bomber seat with 3D printed seat cushion
  • Skirts cut/modified from AMT body
  • Frame modified from Revell '29 Ford pickup kit with modified crossmember and transmission mounts, relocated friction shock mounting points etc.
  • Front springs cut/lowered with modified hairpins 
  • Narrowed rear axle from Roth Outlaw mated to parts box differential
  • Rear Springs lowered/modified and "taped" per old racer pics (not seen in these pics, but visible in build folder)
  • Scratched the rear inner wheel arches
  • PE Radiator (using the Mark Batson instructions)
  • Cut open the grill and install mesh screen
  • Aluminum rod rollbar
  • VCG Resins Tiki head shift knob
  • various PE, Mastercraft resin nut/bolt heads throughout, wired/plumbed etc. 

Very cool model! I love it. Thanks for posting. 

That is a cool looking roadster. Really like that flathead - will have to do a little research on that Jiggler race motor!

FYI, the link to the build folder didn't work for me, but I clicked on the Fotki site in your signature block and accessed it hat way. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ModWrench said:

That is a cool looking roadster. Really like that flathead - will have to do a little research on that Jiggler race motor!

FYI, the link to the build folder didn't work for me, but I clicked on the Fotki site in your signature block and accessed it hat way. 

Mostly used with Midgets...

https://myflatheadford.com/the-famous-jiggler/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/news/hrxp-1111-tiny-smith-flathead-ford-jiggler-v8-60/amp/

On 1/23/2024 at 10:14 AM, ModWrench said:

Thanks for the kind words and the heads-up on the link, I will edit it.