Model Cars Magazine Forum

Panel Lining

9 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

A technique I use in miniature painting is to preshade... thusly darken your panel lines in a dark contrasting color to your primer before you lay your base coat. Sometimes after that doing anything additional isn't even necessary.

That’s my method, too. That, combined with panel scribing and block sanding, IMHO, usually makes the nicest panel lines. 

This is one of those times when under-doing it is better than over-doing it. In many cases it seems applying a dark wash to panel lines on top of the final paint is a bit too much. Sometimes, with good panel scribing, no additional accent is needed at all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bainford said:

That’s my method, too. That, combined with panel scribing and block sanding, IMHO, usually makes the nicest panel lines. 

This is one of those times when under-doing it is better than over-doing it. In many cases it seems applying a dark wash to panel lines on top of the final paint is a bit too much. Sometimes, with good panel scribing, no additional accent is needed at all. 

Yup. Just scribe the lines good and deep and like you say... less is more in most cases.

While I think accenting the panel lines on body adds to the appearance, I think sometimes they are done darker than what the real deal would look like. In the past I have used the Tamiya panel line paint and like that it is offered in a couple of colors. But I remember someone here mentioning using the body color, thinned and a dash of black or a similar color in a darker shade added. I did a model in white and the black panel lines just look funny to me. Did another one using a gray color and it looked more natural to me. What I have started to do for myself is to use the body paint and add a small amount of flat black and some thinner so that it will flow in the body lines. I think it is something you just have to experiment with until you find what gives you the appearance you're after.