Model Cars Magazine Forum

Free access to all Hot Rod Magazine issues 1948-2021 online!

One thing I notice in the '60's issues of HRM is just how intertwined car building and scale model building were becoming. Lots more ads for model cars, and more articles to boot. 

1961-03.jpg.8631143406aa72f9e6661ec346b5e69d.jpg

HRM March 1961

Edited by ea0863
  • Like 2

Another thing noticeable in the '60's issues is the penchant for customizers to reinvent their creations and garner more publicity for relatively low investment - kinda like what Microsoft does every few years with Windows :) Here is a '32 Ford on its 4th time around the block...

1963310912_1961-0732ford.jpg.aa578bb692300504f73191fe1ee89af8.jpg

10 minutes ago, ea0863 said:

Love it! It's so funny, but when I get one of these models from back then, it gives me a nice sense of nostalgia. I am beginning to understand why the flaws in those older creations are just a part of their charm.

So...is your plan to post the contents of all 70+ years of Hot Rod here? Just curious.

2 minutes ago, ea0863 said:

Yup. You think that's a good idea or a bad one? I'm doing the research already, so I figured I'd share.

My opinion is that the link to the actual site is available to anyone who wants access to any info there, so re-posting a whole lotta stuff here doesn't really make any sense to me...unless it's in response to a specific question.

But you do you.

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My opinion is that the link to the actual site is available to anyone who wants access to any info there, so re-posting a whole lotta stuff here doesn't really make any sense to me...unless it's in response to a specific question.

But you do you.

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But you do you.

I can see that, and in fact this has been a very time-consuming effort. My reason for doing it was that not everyone might have the time to pore over page after page, and this way they could get a taste of what is among the 70,000 or so pages available to them. Thank you for your input, I always appreciate your insights.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ea0863 said:

1960-01a.png.4138577ced57a7fd9b6747f9a2ccacaf.png

Great shot of this beast called "Ram Rod". (HRM January 1960)

This car was nicknamed "High & Mighty"........ I guess they called it Ram Rod also.

You'll be getting into the years of street-driven dune buggies soon! It would be cool to see some of those, the Manx type buggies.......

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

This car was nicknamed "High & Mighty"........ I guess they called it Ram Rod also.

You'll be getting into the years of street-driven dune buggies soon! It would be cool to see some of those, the Manx type buggies.......

I love the names they came up with for the cars back then! 

So Muncie (aka Steve Payne) was totally right. An ad from HRM June 1963 alludes to the Ramchargers, and shows one of their race cars. Lindbergh apparently made a scale model of this car, and possibly others. A nice write-up on the Ramchargers can also be found at https://www.ramchargers.com/index.php/history . Thanks Steve!

1963-06.jpg.34392bdadf6997c64ea722689211531d.jpg

Edited by ea0863