Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

Oh Francis, what am I gonna do with you now as I can't get more bench time because I spend too much of it here absorbing the goodies you're making.  I love the fact that you're taking details and making them infinitely better than kits parts etc.  Headlight buckets & bezels but one example.  You're body work is fantastic and the job done on the doors / jambs was text book.  I can only hope to do it as well.   Keep the updates coming and again, I always appreciate the fact that you share pics and document now just the results but the "how to" in so many of your updates.  Cheers sir, tim

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 2:32 PM, Randy D said:

Well that is just gorgeous Francis.  I really appreciate it when you show the part coming to life on the mill. 

You are an artist Sir!!!

Randy

Thanks Randy, the word artist is certainly exaggerated and coming from a master like you it is received with great humility.  I still have a lot of work to do to approach the quality level of your talent!

Francis

On 2/29/2024 at 10:40 AM, Codi said:

Oh Francis, what am I gonna do with you now as I can't get more bench time because I spend too much of it here absorbing the goodies you're making.  I love the fact that you're taking details and making them infinitely better than kits parts etc.  Headlight buckets & bezels but one example.  You're body work is fantastic and the job done on the doors / jambs was text book.  I can only hope to do it as well.   Keep the updates coming and again, I always appreciate the fact that you share pics and document now just the results but the "how to" in so many of your updates.  Cheers sir, tim

Thanks Tim, as I mentioned on your Maverick thread, I'm so happy to see you back, your prowess has been a huge inspiration to me since I joined the forum a few years ago. Documenting and explaining how the pieces are made takes a lot of time, but I think it's my way of showing what you can achieve when you believe in it.  Trying to improve the flaws of the original kits is more difficult because there are many great experts on the forum, there is little or no margin for error.  With your great talent, I have no worries that everything will be done to the highest standards!

Francis

On 2/29/2024 at 5:17 PM, FoMoCo66 said:

This is crazy. Even though I'm a Ford guy this still screams awesome. Your milling work is spot on (I don't even know how to use a mill). This detail is next level. Good job.

Thank you for your open-mindedness Ace, I always think that regardless of the brand I would have the same interest in it, I'm just more in my comfort zone with Mopars.  When you spend so many hours on a project, you have to choose the right one because it stays on your workspace for a long time and the motivation has to follow to the finish line.  Maybe one day I will change my approach and do less detail in order to make all the models I like and there are Fords in this long list! 😉

Francis

On 2/27/2024 at 8:44 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello everyone,

Jimmy: I hope your expectations will be fulfilled. 😁

I made further progress on the Dana 60 last weekend and I'm showing you tonight what it looks like now.  I'll probably have some minor tweaks to do but it's mainly done and I think it's my best one so far, in any case the measurements are according to the information I found on the subject.  During machining I had the idea of simulating the thread of the pinion using a small brass bolt and I think it will make a great detail even if it will be barely visible but I think that you are starting to know me... 🙄  Anyway, here are the new photos and let me know what you think if you feel like it.

See you next week, Francis

This is the cylindrical shape where the pinion is housed, I have made the opening for the yoke (to be made later).276_Dana60_Prog_8.jpg.5fdb4997338817dc241f805bb89248b6.jpg

I used a small brass bolt to simulate the threaded end of the pinion, I will cut the screw to the desired length when the yoke is machined.277_Dana60_Prog_9.jpg.50e8a44b0f39efdae3d6a9ee2bd2800b.jpg

I turned two pieces of aluminum to simulate the wider part where the axles are inserted and made the fins using an aluminum plate.278_Dana60_Prog_10.jpg.a5a4594d9068fd701178d965fb20aa1d.jpg

The pieces are just put in place, nothing is definitively assembled.279_Dana60_Final_1.jpg.e9eb5a040b819244116a281ba076dc17.jpg

View from another angle.281_Dana60_Final_3.jpg.02138cf5315b6a4a52cd706e38eaaa0f.jpg

..............that's freakin' beautiful!! 🙂

• Like 1

All I can do is shake my head in amazement, how you can machine a complex piece like the carrier in this scale, when in full size, casting it is the most convenient and practicle way it can be produced by the manufacturer, is beyond me.  So much fun to watch though!

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 12:55 PM, Ian McLaren said:

All I can do is shake my head in amazement, how you can machine a complex piece like the carrier in this scale, when in full size, casting it is the most convenient and practicle way it can be produced by the manufacturer, is beyond me.  So much fun to watch though!

Thanks for the kind comments Ian, it's just the result of an endless amount of little cuts, rotations and angle changes with a good dose of filing and sanding!  You'll laugh, I'm happy with the result but I think the next one I'll make will be in styrene because I think I could do better with more details, we'll see then...

I've made further progress and will post the photos soon.

Francis

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:58 PM, Scott Eriksen said:

......when can I place my order???  I'll take a Hemi,,,the Dana,,,,wheels,,,,brakes .....etc etc  🙂

At my current pace the parts would cost as much as the real ones, my slowness would probably earn me 10 cents an hour... 😂

• Haha 2

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay, I'm a bit stuck on time this week as I work nights but I wanted to post my recent progress before heading back to the factory.  I have few comments to make, I think I'm not fully awake yet and I'm having a little difficulty finding my words... 🥱  In any case, photos are worth a thousand words and feel free to ask questions if you want explanations on anything.

See you soon with other machined parts.

Francis

Dana 60 cover at the very beginning of machining.282_Dana_Cover_Prog_1.jpg.8c4d77c11f2b5d4119e3c947f4f2da6e.jpg

I moved on to a smaller end mill to gradually add more detail.283_Dana_Cover_Prog_2.jpg.b8b86a8a6c2c753e1a0a93c729bdbd91.jpg

Slow progress is essential to avoid making mistakes and having to start again.284_Dana_Cover_Prog_3.jpg.ae5c06224d600071b3ea78d0632fb001.jpg

Almost complete, the simulation of the embossings between the holes for the mounting bolts was done using a 0.020" end mill.285_Dana_Cover_Prog_4.jpg.cb15e9b5bc729cd09d920b2d3caf53df.jpg

The cover is now separated from the rod.286_Dana_Cover_Final_1.jpg.d8973dc0876584e1ad26b3e484b269da.jpg287_Dana_Cover_Final_2.jpg.a64ce6065a8ac497637c9223be3a6171.jpg

Thanks to Tim (Codi) for the inspiration (you can never have too much!) to add these little extra details.287_Dana_Cover_Final_3.jpg.e483dd895078621fc48accbdbf6eaf66.jpg

The fit is very good. I will drill holes later on the Dana for the small brass bolts.287_Dana_Cover_Final_4.jpg.e8ab99793265be35a5f7707822cbdb36.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Scott Eriksen said:

........................"waiting for the machined and threaded fill plug"  😉 

.............and use a gasket,,not silicone!  lol !

..........add 2 of those to my list! 

Thanks Scott, I'm still waiting for the tapping and die tool kit but the elves who make them are on strike at the moment. 😁

Wait until you see the differential yoke I started working on, I'm starting to find my tools unnecessarily big for these things. 🤔

Francis

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Simply beautiful, my friend! I just got a four-jaw chuck. It doesn't fit my lathe, but with a Sherline adapter, it mounts to the rotary table. I aspire to your work, Francis.

Thanks Daniel, I love the four-jaw chuck because it holds the workpiece with more force, the only negative side is that it cannot grip parts as small as the three-jaw chuck.

Francis

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Randy D said:

WOW, beautiful work Francis!! Love the detail on the mounting flange.

Randy

Thanks Randy, what surprises me the most is that you can do better with two hands and manual tools. This is proof that tools do not replace talent and you have no shortage of it, I am in awe of your prowess my friend!

Francis

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Scott, I'm still waiting for the tapping and die tool kit but the elves who make them are on strike at the moment. 😁

Wait until you see the differential yoke I started working on, I'm starting to find my tools unnecessarily big for these things. 🤔

Francis

.......I'm guessing a 10 spline  😉

That is nice but I AM partial Francis.....  ☺️    great job as always....always fascinating to see how different people machine or fabricate something in different ways to get the desired piece.   cheers, tim