Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping the paint from your model

gseeds

You learn something new every day, for years I've been stripping paint off my models with easy off, break fluid, and even purple power, a couple weeks ago I painted this 76 caprice with automotive paint, pearl white base, topped with a 2K clear, sanded it with 800 grit sand paper, then useing houses of kolor  added multi candys , it looked fairly good, to finish it off I added candy blue and re cleared it , and right away I hated it !! So after a couple days walking around it , off to the strip tank it went , My buddy Tim told that rubbing alcohol would strip it, I didn't believe it but tried it anyway and sure enough after a week of sitting in the tank it with only rubbing alcohol it stripped it all the way down to the primer ! I had no idea, not sure if it will work on all paints buy it worked on automotive paint and 2K clear .

CDDC68A6-EE0D-4F27-A874-D6450B048617.jpeg

2FE6DEBE-7930-4176-BD88-0801353A8261.jpeg

37C29F94-BC7A-4453-8871-1E25F66C3457.jpeg

0455E93A-8261-4B1A-8D93-ABFB52F9891B.jpeg

There are several paint stripping chemical in my arsenal of plastic safe strippers, and 99% Isopropyl alcohol (from hardware store in the paint thinners section) is one of them.  I'm sure that IPA has been mentioned numerous times in the Paint Strippers sticky thread, in the Q & A section of the forum.  The 99% one is a bit more potent than what you used, and will work well with some types of paints, so-so with other, and wont' even touch certain other types of paint.  Paint stripping from plastic is a very inexact science - more like black magic.

This is what I've been using and it works perfect stripping everything even 2K clear.  Also makes short work of the varnish under chrome after the chrome is gone using lye.  I'm gonna have to find a similar product because this has been out of stock for awhile now sadly. 

D-05h-Paint-Remover-1000ml.png.8bf0adea85e298e086d29b6cd2ff1b2d.png

yall go ahead and use all the other paint strippers you see talked about on this Forum. ill stick to my Easy Off (Yellow Can.. Brand Name) that i been using since the mid 80's. new paint it will strip all off in 24 hrs or less.. old paint 48 hrs or less..it only works on enamel paint..the 91% Isopropyl alcohol will remove acrylic paint from what i hear ..

EZ OFF.png

Having a regimented painting procedure will go a long way to determining what works best for removing paint if it becomes necessary.

It really only becomes an issue when an individual hop scotches around with the types of paint, and the approaches for applying it.

I use the same type of paint, and the same manner of application for every build, so there's no guess work should it become required that it be stripped.

Bouncing around between enamels, lacquers and acrylics and varying primers and the like, is part of the issue for some builders.

What works for one, will not necessarily work for the other.

I use automotive lacquer paints and clear, and the same materials and procedures for prep and priming on every project, so should it become necessary, I KNOW, for a fact, that the Super Clean that I use will do the job every time.

I no longer have to worry about what might, or might not work for me should stripping become unavoidable.

The only time that it might become necessary for me to find an alternative, is if I happen to have an old model that was originally painted by another individual, and they used some weird paint or primer.

Steve

I find this pretty funny as we are basically rehashing what is in that thread I linked to earlier.  The only thing new here (if it wasn't already mentioned in the other thread) is the MODO D-05h stripper.

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I find this pretty funny as we are basically rehashing what is in that thread I linked to earlier.  The only thing new here (if it wasn't already mentioned in the other thread) is the MODO D-05h stripper.

Of course, but this is how it often works.

There are multiple threads on every topic on this forum.

Sometimes people either don't want to take the time, or don't have the time, to cruise around looking for particular topics, or reading entire threads to see if the information that they're looking for is contained therein or not.

I can understand that.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 2