Model Cars Magazine Forum

2023 Cannonball Run-What-You-Brung Build Thread

White Rabbit

I'm making progress on the Mustang. I wanted the exhaust to come through the rear valance so I made that happen,  I used 1/4 inch tube for the chrome trim around the holes and will add chrome tips. I also added lower rocker molding to dress it up a bit and subframe connectors to stiffen up the convertible floor pan. I'm going to be using the stock 289 but I added a T5 five speed from a 90s Fox body.

20230901_213637.jpg.6a95252ae6ae876e9f2b59ac2908620b.jpg20230901_214051.jpg.360a11d9bd580ca8f81914d945b915ae.jpg20230901_213704.thumb.jpg.85a8a09229492399ae00e6af7df14a81.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Highland green huh? Is that a tribute to a certain Mustang of a Bullitt persuasion? 😁 I have a stalled Mustang project that I wanna get back on soon. It's gonna be red this time.

My dad's first car was a Highland Green 68 LTD two door. I'm slowly collecting parts to build it and finally found a place locally that mixes spray cans. No modern green looks right, even the modern counterpart isn't really correct. This thing is beautiful in the sun, I'm going to have to take the final pics outside to really do it justice. They talk about models not taking certain dark colors well and needing to lighten them a bit so this was kind of a test to see how it would look.

I have been thinking about a Bullitt car since I got this mixed up but there's so many other Mustang projects I want to do. But then again, I wasn't planning on building this a month ago and here we are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

wasn't planning on building this a month ago and here we are.

You just can't seem to get away from 'em huh? What happened with the Falcon? I went back and re-read the thread but I must'a missed it.

I have the indy pace car been in my collection for years. I've built it and rebuilt it a few times. I'm gonna go dig it out, planning on building it the way I originally built it back in 94 (Red and black with some kind of wire spoke wheels) I remember. I need to keep going on the Camaro too. Nice work on the Mustang... keep going!👍

44 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

You just can't seem to get away from 'em huh? What happened with the Falcon? I went back and re-read the thread but I must'a missed it.

I have the indy pace car been in my collection for years. I've built it and rebuilt it a few times. I'm gonna go dig it out, planning on building it the way I originally built it back in 94 (Red and black with some kind of wire spoke wheels) I remember. I need to keep going on the Camaro too. Nice work on the Mustang... keep going!👍

The "Falcon" body I was using was a cut down Ranchero body with the top and trunk lid from a ruined 63 Falcon body. Nothing was square on it and it still needed a lot of work to get it presentable. I ended up buying an original 60 kit that had about every custom part glued to it so it's going to take some cleanup. I just don't want to rush it so I jumped on the Mustang. These kits are super simple and easy to knock out quickly. 

• Like 1

Just putting up a quick progress post, I'm using the chassis from a shelby series 1 which had be lengthened and widen, I moved the fender vents back so I would have room to flare the fenders. I  opened the vents up while they were out. I'll update again next days off. 

20230906_200303.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 1:51 PM, disconovaman said:

I went with the boxart on the interior Basic black with the exception of Pro touring style seats for comfort. I'm working on gettin this dude up on the wheels now. 

Great progress you guys! I'm inspired! 

20230907_134255.jpg

Doesn’t the convertible version of this car have deluxe door panels? And do they interchange?

43 minutes ago, Whosurdaddy209 said:

Doesn’t the convertible version of this car have deluxe door panels? And do they interchange?

Yes and kinda... Yes the convertible has Deluxe door panels and electric windows also... they're usually found in RS/SS cars.

They do work in the hardtop interior tub but are short due to the back seat being molded to the convertible interior tub. You could join the two door panels to make it Deluxe but only the front would be correct technically. Here's my RS with Deluxe interior and it had electric windows and door locks, they worked as smooth as any new car.

$(KGrHqIOKiQE2f!ucs6uBNtcSObY3w~~_3-1.jpg

Going away on holiday and dealing with busy family life either side of it meant that I hadn't done anything to my Accord/NSX mash-up for some time. With a run of good weather I finally got on with cleaning up the odd seams which were still apparent after the first coats of primer, then it got given more primer, a few coats of BMW Boston Green and clearcoat:

IMG_8323.JPG.f2fc739c90bddef8f8cfa2464f3f0e71.JPG

IMG_8320.JPG.1dfc092acf81a9a7de229a57cb6b7f00.JPG

IMG_8310.JPG.0f69282f5339aea3abf7880c2b7d0d69.JPG

Generic automotive primer, with the colour and clear from Halfords aerosols straight out of the can. These photos were after an hour or two, it's now hanging in the boiler cupboard and is drying out to a good smooth finish, looks like only minimal polishing will be required. In sunlight the colour really comes to life. Looks like it was at 1:1 on mid-late '90s models, which suits the era of this Accord nicely and I can visualise there being a similar colour in the range back then.

Should go well with bronze or gold wheel centres, looking smart but subtle, with just the ex-Monogram Citation vents giving any clue about something a little different...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Going away on holiday and dealing with busy family life either side of it meant that I hadn't done anything to my Accord/NSX mash-up for some time. With a run of good weather I finally got on with cleaning up the odd seams which were still apparent after the first coats of primer, then it got given more primer, a few coats of BMW Boston Green and clearcoat:

IMG_8323.JPG.f2fc739c90bddef8f8cfa2464f3f0e71.JPG

IMG_8320.JPG.1dfc092acf81a9a7de229a57cb6b7f00.JPG

IMG_8310.JPG.0f69282f5339aea3abf7880c2b7d0d69.JPG

Generic automotive primer, with the colour and clear from Halfords aerosols straight out of the can. These photos were after an hour or two, it's now hanging in the boiler cupboard and is drying out to a good smooth finish, looks like only minimal polishing will be required. In sunlight the colour really comes to life. Looks like it was at 1:1 on mid-late '90s models, which suits the era of this Accord nicely and I can visualise there being a similar colour in the range back then.

Should go well with bronze or gold wheel centres, looking smart but subtle, with just the ex-Monogram Citation vents giving any clue about something a little different...

I agree, you really wouldn't suspect that there anything suspicious with that car. Looks really good but not a loud color that would attract unwanted attention. I didn't even notice the vent until you mentioned it, I had to do a double take.

15 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

BMW Boston Green and clearcoat

Excellent choice that's stunning! I have an upcoming project that this color would be perfect on, I already have the paint for it but now I'm re-thinking it.

22 minutes ago, Keef said:

Almost done!

Wow! that's ready to be filmed for the next Fast & Furious movie! Love the Red interior! The gold wheels compliment the body color and stripes perfectly! Y'all dudes are really showing up this year!  It's a tough competition! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Excellent choice that's stunning! I have an upcoming project that this color would be perfect on, I already have the paint for it but now I'm re-thinking it.

Thanks, and sorry! It's not too dissimilar to the dark green I had on a '93 Camry estate a few years ago. Almost black in low light, but then became brighter with a slight purple flip in sunlight.

5 hours ago, Keef said:

Almost done! Will try to finish up today and take some good outdoor photos.

Nice work!