Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvino's JR - '71 Petty Plymouth

TooOld

Moving right along . . . I finished the front by masking the bumper and spraying the grille , applying decals punched from white decal paper , then adding the number decals . As I suspected most of the screen detail is lost in the paint and shadows .  Also the lower grille and spoiler are now glued in place . 

I didn't glue these parts to the body before paint so it would be easier to detail them . 

Here's the rear spoiler I made , very hard to get a good photo of it . 

I decided not to clear the body yet , instead I foiled the windshield and rear window frames and applied all of the decals and trim pieces . 

Now I'll let the decals set overnight and then spray some clear .  

Edited by TooOld

24 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Moving right along . . . I finished the front by masking the bumper and spraying the grille , applying decals punched from white decal paper , then adding the number decals . As I suspected most of the screen detail is lost in the paint and shadows .  Also the lower grille and spoiler are now glued in place . 

I didn't glue these parts to the body before paint so it would be easier to detail them . 

Here's the rear spoiler I made , very hard to get a good photo of it . 

I decided not to clear the body yet , instead I foiled the windshield and rear window frames and applied all of the decals and trim pieces . 

Now I'll let the decals set overnight and then spray some clear .  

Looking good. Love all the details.

A minor nitpick that is out of your control Bob but it's gotta be said: The shade of blue in the drop shadow of the Petty '43' numbers is not accurate. I'm assuming you're using the Powerslide decals. The drop shadow on these decals looks too light, more of a royal blue than the deep, dark navy blue - almost black hue - that we saw on Petty cars back then. 

It just doesn't look right to me. Everything else about this car you have built is absolutely amazing. Inspirational, really. Still, I'd rather use the black drop shadow decals than this set of numbers.

But not criticizing your choice. We work with what we have. Mike Herman at Powerslide could do us all a favour and re-issue an accurate decal sheet.

Edited by Johnny Canuck

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 12:03 AM, Rattlecan Dan said:

Can't help it. I think it's drop dead gorgeous! Such great attention to detail and the work put into the build gets my complete admiration. Thanks for all you've shown so far.

Thanks Donato !

22 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Bob, where did you say you sourced the aluminum sheet you use for your detailing? I would really like to use it on my current build. 

I used those disposable baking pans from the grocery store , I bought the cheaper ones not the heavy duty .  Only issue is they all have patterns stamped into the  bottoms so useable aluminum is limited .

I would highly recommend buying a roll of this:

https://www.munrocrafts.com/product-p/metal-mom-roll-363.htm

It's available in brass and copper, as well, although I couldn't imagine needing three square feet of either of those, as a modeler--at this time. One never knows, however. For me, the aluminum is, however, like the Frank's Hot Sauce commercial says--if you catch my drift.😃 The tooling aluminum is more malleable, yet stiffer than foil pan sheet, and the roll is smooth. I used it to line the interior tub of my Vega Super Gasser--anywhere I want to achieve the look of aluminum sheet, basically. It's not great, structurally, but, it can be used as such, in a pinch. I built two dragster bodies from it--both of which have been rebuilt using aluminum step flashing, which is far superior for structural components. Anyhoo...

7 hours ago, TooOld said:

I used those disposable baking pans from the grocery store , I bought the cheaper ones not the heavy duty .  Only issue is they all have patterns stamped into the  bottoms so useable aluminum is limited .

Thanks, Bob. I know exactly what you are talking about. I might even have one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 12:49 PM, Straightliner59 said:

I would highly recommend buying a roll of this:

https://www.munrocrafts.com/product-p/metal-mom-roll-363.htm

It's available in brass and copper, as well, although I couldn't imagine needing three square feet of either of those, as a modeler--at this time. One never knows, however. For me, the aluminum is, however, like the Frank's Hot Sauce commercial says--if you catch my drift.😃 The tooling aluminum is more malleable, yet stiffer than foil pan sheet, and the roll is smooth. I used it to line the interior tub of my Vega Super Gasser--anywhere I want to achieve the look of aluminum sheet, basically. It's not great, structurally, but, it can be used as such, in a pinch. I built two dragster bodies from it--both of which have been rebuilt using aluminum step flashing, which is far superior for structural components. Anyhoo...

I absolutely second this. I've used this stuff for years and love it. This and litho plates (I have several unopened packs from my days at the print shops) are my go to for really nice thin aluminum.

Back on topic: Bob, absolutely love how this project is coming along. Totally referencing much of this to thread to build my own version. Stay tuned...

On 5/19/2023 at 3:50 PM, TimKustom said:

I absolutely second this. I've used this stuff for years and love it. This and litho plates (I have several unopened packs from my days at the print shops) are my go to for really nice thin aluminum.

Back on topic: Bob, absolutely love how this project is coming along. Totally referencing much of this to thread to build my own version. Stay tuned...

Thanks much Tim !  Really looking forward to seeing what you do with this kit .  Mine is finished and can be seen Under Glass .

As for the tooling foil . . . it looks really good and I plan on buying some but for this build there was so little needed I didn't bother .

Edited by TooOld

• 2 weeks later...