Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor paint

6 minutes ago, Steveng said:

What primer do you recommend? Usually I use tamiya 

i stick with duplicolour and always use the clear plastic primer for the first coats, then either filler primer or normal. i haven't tried other primers with it but i have used tamiya ts paints and hok over it without problems (even on the same paintjob). Avoid their cheaper simoniz brand, its tempting because the cans are twice the size but its utter garbage that consists of mostly thinners and spit that doesn't cover

Duplicolor filler primer, Duplicolor Perfect Match color coats, then their 1K high gloss clear is my go-to formula right now...... Their sandable primer in the big cans isn't that great, as you HAVE to sand it to smooth it before paint. The filler primer dries smooth, so there's little need to do much sanding of it.........

20 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Duplicolor filler primer, Duplicolor Perfect Match color coats, then their 1K high gloss clear is my go-to formula right now...... Their sandable primer in the big cans isn't that great, as you HAVE to sand it to smooth it before paint. The filler primer dries smooth, so there's little need to do much sanding of it.........

RE:  "filler primer" --  are you talking about this stuff ?

image.png.b9d3aad2e975792606aa98cc989cd00d.png

44 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

RE:  "filler primer" --  are you talking about this stuff ?

Nah, Friend.... This is the primer I meant. It's in their 11 oz can.....

SDC10346.JPG.b820a3d72e82ee309376e9cd59768382.JPG

and it doesn't 'fill' really, as in losing a bunch of detail. I usually put two wet coats on the bare plastic, then color coats.......

As a lifelong rattle can painter, I use Duplicolor whenever possible. It goes on fine, not thick like Testors, etc. Like everything else it's not cheap anymore but it's still worth it to me. This Kenworth is all Duplicolor...

20180311_180656_jpg_6faa0a55f3cd0f07af970c5656a7c127.jpg

20180426_122832_jpg_1cc8cf57148c875638e866cdcc253b70.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a follower as well.  Been using Duplicolor for a long time.  I like the fine spray and the hard finish.  The more prep you put into the surface before the color coat the better it is.  Usually takes more than one coat to cover though.  I spray one on, let it dry well, light sand it down and then go to it.