Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 January 2023

Mr mopar

The 1997 F-150 step side regular cab 4x4 looks like the Lindberg version, with 'Photoshopped' stock  2wd steel wheels from the AMT non step side short bed 2door 2wd kit that AMT made.  The Lindberg version has been ressued a lot, and Ollies sold them too. I have a bunch. They are nice kits though.

2 hours ago, Greg L. said:

The 1997 F-150 step side regular cab 4x4 looks like the Lindberg version, with 'Photoshopped' stock  2wd steel wheels from the AMT non step side short bed 2door 2wd kit that AMT made.  The Lindberg version has been ressued a lot, and Ollies sold them too. I have a bunch. They are nice kits though.

Thats exactly what is, the lindberg tooling.

Edited by martinfan5

On 1/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, Mark said:

Not sure whether or not the Prestige issue Corvette had both tops.  The convertible body and related parts were tooled by Ertl in the late Eighties and are unrelated to the annual kit parts.

The Prestige version did have both tops:

20230105_214113.jpg

I always assumed that they backdated the '67 convertible, same as they did with the coupe.  I seem to recall someone on this forum (think it was Snake45?) explaining that this hardtop doesn't play nice fit-wise with the old annuals.  I guess that explains why. (That may also apply to the soft top too, can't recall)

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:37 PM, espo said:

The Coronet RT looks interesting, and I like the idea of a utility trailer. The '63 Corvette kit, I'm wondering if they're still using the same engine block for the 427 and the 327 just as AMT did way back when. This was a good kit with a lot of extras, so it's a maybe with a parts box engine swap. 

The "modern" versions of the AMT '63 Vettes (Ertl ownership onward) have completely separate 327 and 427 engines.  Each engine also has multiple intake options.  Not sure if they ever "cheated" the big block in any of their original '60s annuals.

Wasn't it MPC that just added BBC valve covers and headers to the SBC in the '67 Streaker Vette?

On 1/4/2023 at 12:49 PM, Rob Hall said:

I recall the Prestige Series release around '87 had the hardtop, but don't think releases after that had it.   Nice to see both back, and maybe the stock wheel covers? 

On 1/4/2023 at 10:33 PM, blizzy63 said:

Yes, please. Stock wheel covers and I'll be in for the '63 Corvette convertible.

41171-4mg4.jpeg

New box art shows the wheel covers on the side panel.  Looks like it should be a straight reissue of the Prestige kit (without the foil or drag strip accessories).

Screenshot_20230105-221826.png

Edited by Robberbaron

10 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

New box art shows the wheel covers on the side panel.  Looks like it should be a straight reissue of the Prestige kit (without the foil or drag strip accessories).

Screenshot_20230105-221826.png

Saw that pic, wasn’t sure what those were supposed to be.  They sort of vaguely resemble the stock wheelcovers. 

12 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

The "modern" versions of the AMT '63 Vettes (Ertl ownership onward) have completely separate 327 and 427 engines.  Each engine also has multiple intake options.  Not sure if they ever "cheated" the big block in any of their original '60s annuals.

Wasn't it MPC that just added BBC valve covers and headers to the SBC in the '67 Streaker Vette?

Back when the annual Corvette kits were released, the convertible and coupe were produced using different tools. 

Both were updated through '67.  The coupe was reissued several times as a '67 (Color Me Vette, Candidate, Funny Car) before being backdated to '63 trim (but still with the '67 engine).  Ertl put the small-block back in later.

The '67 convertible had the "sedan delivery" add-on custom top.  It was then altered into the T.H.E. Cat TV show car.  The body in that issue has the separate headlamp door setup from the '63 annual.  After that the chassis was reused in the AMT 1968-only annual kit.  AMT then tooled a new Corvette kit for 1969.  The '68 only kit got reworked into the ACcellerator custom, later the Greenwood GT IMSA version.  The Round 2 reissue '68 is pretty much that kit, with some other stuff unblocked and included.

MPC '66 and '67 annual Corvette coupe kits (they didn't offer convertibles) had the faked-up big block, as well as the AMT Greenwood GT.  Those kits share no parts and are not related to one another as they were issued by (then) competing companies at different times.

11 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

The AMT 1963-65 Corvette Stingray annuals had SB 327 engines.

The 1966 kits had the SB 327 and added a "Custom 396" (separate BB).

For 1967, the SB 327 was dropped and only came with a BB 427. It remained this way through three '67 re-issues (T238, 6777, T-201) and the 'Street Rods' back-dated '63 coupe (A163).

Ertl put a SB 327 back in the kit along with the BB 427 in 1986 (6520).

(No "cheating", fortunately...although, a "427" only in a '63 might be fudging it if we pretend it's a 'Mystery Motor'.)

scan0134-vi.jpg

AMT 1967 Corvette instr 1.jpg

IMG_0273.jpeg

• Like 1

Also, the Fuel Injection script on fender from annuals disappeared in 63 coupe and convert reissues. It reappeared on roadster with I think the red car box art. The 63 coupe has it again too I believe, I don’t recall when. 
The Street Rods 73-74 issue had 67 backup light for awhile on the 63 when they back dated the 67. No clue on when that was fixed, next one I bought was the black car box art, it was correct. One of the more dependable guys knows.