Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inventory the collection - Pricing etc

Hi all, I've decided I'm going to catalog on a spreadsheet my collection of kits. I'll use this for insurance purposes or if I was to pass so my wife & kids have some sort of idea what all these kits are. I'll also use this to see easily what kits Ive got. I will use Google sheets to do this with just the basic information needed. One thing I am stuck on is the value figure to put down for some of these. I have a lot of resin kits like Modelhaus, R&R & various brands that are no longer around. Also vintage Johans etc. How do I go about what I should put down about the estimated price on some of this stuff??? The pricing is pretty crazy these days. 

Also with completed build cars? How should I price these? Priced higher or lower than say a sealed unbuilt kit? I wouldn't say my cars are pro built but probably nicer than an amateur definitely. 

Has anyone else done an inventory on there collection? Ultimately I would love some input on pricing but also if anyone has any tips on how you created your spreadsheets etc. Anything I didn't think of etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

Unbuilt Modelhaus kits run from about $300 to over $600, depending on subject. They don't sell fast but they usually sell.

Vintage Johan...or anything else...prices are easy to determine on eBay.

Built kits aren't worth much usually, rarely as much as unbuilt, unless you're a top-tier builder like Paul Hettick.

Most of the listings on eBay for "pro-built" kits are a joke, look like 10-year olds did them, so be realistic about the quality of your work when pricing built-ups.

• Like 1

I have an xcel sheet for my stash, I put the price I paid (if known) but a significant portion were purchased long ago and have no data. 

But I likewise know what I have. 

More than once I've considered a purchase only to refer to my spreadsheet to discover I already have one!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

If your insuring for value rather than for a block chunk then you need to price the items at their approximate full replacement value, and you'll probably have to do it annually to keep them happy (to say nothing of keeping the values correct yourself). There might be quite the bit of documentation required for that, but if you have a lot of "irreplaceable" items it's the way to go. If you're doing a block chunk then you'd do a given value ($20 per kit) by how many ever that might be. Downside there will be the inability to fully replace your stash if something terrible does happen to your home. Also photos, photos and more photos. A list won't cover you if the time comes, you'll need tangible proof, so make a back up thumb drive and put it in a fire proof box, or your safe deposit at the bank.

For your built items, I'm sure they have value to you, but in terms of insurance (or post death sales) they're effectively worthless. For built kits to have any sort if value you'd have to have established proof that you've sold them in the past and the price range they normally achieve.