Model Cars Magazine Forum

Think building a model is work? Here's a 1:1 Barracuda unibody from parts...and a fake

2 hours ago, sfhess said:

When Danny and one of his buddies go up to someone's door in their biker drag to ask about a car thy have found they look like a couple of over-age kids going out trick-or-treating.

Those "random" sightings and meetings are setup before hand. If most of the owners of the vehicles saw those chowder heads approaching, they'd bust out the Winchester before ol' green mohawk and Count Dexedrine could run their areses back to that tweeker taxi and peel out. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Those "random" sightings and meetings are setup before hand. If most of the owners of the vehicles saw those chowder heads approaching, they'd bust out the Winchester before ol' green mohawk and Count Dexedrine could run their areses back to that tweeker taxi and peel out. 

Oh I know that.   Same with the "Pull over, we're car guys" bits.

Edited by sfhess
  • Like 1

IMHO, there seem to be people here confusing "Reality show" with reality.

I believe Chip Foose is a very talented person AND has the skills to realize his designs, now, just as other shops/car shows have a whole teams building customs/restorations, with few exceptions we will never see just one man/woman build a complete custom. Most decent designers/builders are smart enough to have other talented people work with or for them, Boyd Coddington comes to mind.

I really doubt they gave a Ridler award to Chip Foose just because he's a "nice guy". If you haven't watched his design studies (on Youtube), you're missing out and selling him short. I'm not saying I like ALL of his designs but he and other customizers that share their insights and ideas are real treasures that can inspire others.

Imagine if Harley Earl had been alive now (during the interwebs age), would he be sharing his design ideas with the rest of us? His designs gave us some great platforms to explore further custom ideas (but, I bet he had a team of designers/artists that he guided/managed).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blunc said:

Imagine if Harley Earl had been alive now (during the interwebs age), would he be sharing his design ideas with the rest of us? His designs gave us some great platforms to explore further custom ideas (but, I bet he had a team of designers/artists that he guided/managed).

All those Motoramas and the films the GM styling department put out says he was all for sharing his ideas. and those of the people under him.  If they had Youtube back them, he'd be all over that. 

Earl got his start designing custom bodies in California, so he was exactly where Foose is now.  That you can see a definite GM style under Earl's tenure shows that a designer make a difference, even if he's not pushing the actual pencil.

As for the title of this thread?  If you think building models is work, you're clearly doing it wrong.

19 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

...As for the title of this thread?  If you think building models is work, you're clearly doing it wrong.

Depends on your point of view, apparently.

In the real world I make real things for a living. It's work. It's hard work, technically and aesthetically demanding work, and it's work I love. I wouldn't do it otherwise, 'cause I'm sure as jell not getting rich.

Building models is, to me, exactly the same kind of "work", just on a smaller scale.

Think I'll have some time to work on a model later today, actually.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Depends on your point of view, apparently.

In the real world I make real things for a living. It's work. It's hard work, technically and aesthetically demanding work, and it's work I love. I wouldn't do it otherwise, 'cause I'm sure as jell not getting rich.

Building models is, to me, exactly the same kind of "work", just on a smaller scale.

Think I'll have some time to work on a model later today, actually.  B)

Spoken like a real car guy...  :)

• Thanks 1

I watched that video yesterday, it's pretty spot-on as far as the very  brief info given. 

I've done some wholesale panel and structural member replacement on Mopars over the years. Nothing like what is done in the vid, but close enough to know that Worman does know what he's talking about. The amount of knowledge required to even talk about jobs like this is staggering. Yeah, it could be script-reading or from a teleprompter, but it comes across as "I've done this work myself". To impart some of that wisdom in a 45 minute video and make it entertaining is a skill that most don't have. A tv show needs to hold viewers. Dry, technical jargon wouldn't hold viewers for very long.

I'd watch it to the end, and watch it again, but I'm weird like that.

Minor point: In the scond part where he's talking about the faked 'Cuda, he left out the 3rd location for body stamped sequence numbers... It's under the weatherseal area on the trunk lid gutter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keyser said:

Me too. Guy does little. 
The fabricator Will is bright skilled guy. Decent talent in shop but hat over ears without tools in hand is sus. 

Will visited GSL last time and I spent some time visiting with him.  Nice guy.

• Like 1