Model Cars Magazine Forum

Think building a model is work? Here's a 1:1 Barracuda unibody from parts...and a fake

• Ace-Garageguy changed the title to Think building a model is work? Here's a 1:1 Barracuda unibody from parts...and a fake
33 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good thing you don't have to watch it then, huh?

Thing is...they do really good work and pass on useful knowledge, which is my primary judgement criteria.

I agree.

If you're  a Mopar fan, you're not going to find a better show, with more historical information than this one.

He may act goofy, but you'll learn a heck of a lot more on this show than you ever will from one of the hack, would be "artists" on the majority of the other "customization" shows.

Most of them act just as dumb, (or dumber) and their sole purpose seems to be just to show you "how good THEY are".

Mark's mission is to return these cars to their former glory as accurately as possible, and along the way, you'll learn a whole lot of stuff that you probably never knew.

Steve 

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 3:04 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sorry fellas...no phony drama or no-talent hackers here. Just a competent crew doing things right, with a whole lot of knowledge.

Bill, thanks for this post. This channel has a lot of very interesting and fun stuff. Plenty of good viewing in my future. 

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good thing you don't have to watch it then, huh?

Thing is...they do really good work and pass on useful knowledge, which is my primary judgement criteria.

I've talked to a lot of car guys and even they can't stand him and his show. Basically he just talks too much with his constant narratives. Just get to the point.

• Haha 1

Just now, BlackSheep214 said:

I've talked to a lot of car guys and even they can't stand him and his show. Basically he just talks too much with his constant narratives. Just get to the point.

It's television.

And basically a "reality show" to boot.....as they all are.

It needs to be entertaining as well as informative.

Granted, "entertainment" is in the eye of the beholder, but show me another show about customizing or restoring cars that doesn't contain about 50% or more idiotic banter among the participants.

Is there anybody more annoying than Richard Rawlings, or dopier than Mike Hall and his simpleton side kick, Avery?

I can't stand Dave Kindig and his bunch, but as I said.....in the eye of the beholder.

Steve

41 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...Is there anybody more annoying than Richard Rawlings, or dopier than Mike Hall and his simpleton side kick, Avery?

I can't stand Dave Kindig and his bunch, but as I said.....in the eye of the beholder.

Or anyone more devoid of design talent than "Bad Chad"?

Bad Chad Customs - Télé 2 semainesVomitando Puke GIF - Vomitando Puke Vomit - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's television.

And basically a "reality show" to boot.....as they all are.

It needs to be entertaining as well as informative.

Granted, "entertainment" is in the eye of the beholder, but show me another show about customizing or restoring cars that doesn't contain about 50% or more idiotic banter among the participants.

Is there anybody more annoying than Richard Rawlings, or dopier than Mike Hall and his simpleton side kick, Avery?

Steve

Can’t stand those idiots either. The Count and Chip Foose are others. I do enjoy  watching Iron Resurrection and Shorty’s Dream Shop.  At least these guys have real talent.

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Can’t stand those idiots either. The Count and Chip Foose are others. I do enjoy  watching Iron Resurrection and Shorty’s Dream Shop.  At least these guys have real talent.

Foose is probably the worst in my opinion

He just creeps me out!

Got that creepy Lutheran minister, child predator vibe going.

I can only watch the count for a few minutes, (and I haven't watched him in years)

His MO is always the same.

Come out into the shop, act like whatever he's looking at is the coolest thing he's ever seen, tell everyone how it WILL be the coolest thing we'll ever see, and then I guess he just goes back into his office and crawls into his casket for a nap.

I can honestly say that I have never seen the guy pick up a screw driver.

Steve

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Yes, that "Bad" Chad Hiltz idiot from Nova Scotia. He just makes the rest of us Maritimers look bad. 

Believe me, most people from the Atlantic Provinces of Canada are definitely not like that. 😉

• Like 2

I like Graveyard Cars. You get a lot of Mopar history from that show. Never met the guy, but my guess is that he plays an over the top version of himself on that show. I feel that he likes to let everyone know how knowledgeable he is about the vehicles he works on. From what I see on the show, it looks like they do exceptional restorations. I like the restorations more than the customs, but I feel that most of the customs that Dave Kindig builds are at least engineered to be driven.

To build a 1970's unibody car from the frame rails up, from individual parts, is quite the achievement.

3 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Yes, that "Bad" Chad Hiltz idiot from Nova Scotia. He just makes the rest of us Maritimers look bad. 

Believe me, most people from the Atlantic Provinces of Canada are definitely not like that. 😉

I think he has decent skills, but it always seems like one of the other voices in his head takes over halfway through whatever he is working on.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Xingu said:

I think he has decent skills, but it always seems like one of the other voices in his head takes over halfway through whatever he is working on.

I bet you haven't seen any of his stuff up close. It ain't as well done as shown on TV. 

BTW, just for Sh & giggles, I just checked out his setup on Google street view. He's actually standing out in the front yard in the pics! 🤣

On 1/20/2023 at 12:04 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sorry fellas...no phony drama or no-talent hackers here. Just a competent crew doing things right, with a whole lot of knowledge.

I enjoyed the forensics of the fake 'cuda, but the whole thing with Allysia was creepy and cringeworthy to me. First the comment about the "mom jeans", then the whole 'cuda thing looked like he was testing her training. 

And I don't want to start a flame war about this. I tried to tune out his baloney and absorb what what was being said about the car which was good information.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks Bill. Absolute goldmine of info for us detail guys.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

No comment on the show itself, but how can you have so few pieces from the original, pieces with vin, and still call it original? I do not get that. Very good looking car, and would enjoy having, just never understood the hang up on numbers matching yada yada

On 1/21/2023 at 9:34 PM, Xingu said:

I like Graveyard Cars. You get a lot of Mopar history from that show. Never met the guy, but my guess is that he plays an over the top version of himself on that show. I feel that he likes to let everyone know how knowledgeable he is about the vehicles he works on. From what I see on the show, it looks like they do exceptional restorations. I like the restorations more than the customs, but I feel that most of the customs that Dave Kindig builds are at least engineered to be driven.

To build a 1970's unibody car from the frame rails up, from individual parts, is quite the achievement.

Is that the show they restore the cars only there's always some hiccup at the end during a test drive? ROFL!

On 1/21/2023 at 5:11 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Foose is probably the worst in my opinion

He just creeps me out!

Got that creepy Lutheran minister, child predator vibe going.

I can only watch the count for a few minutes, (and I haven't watched him in years)

His MO is always the same.

Come out into the shop, act like whatever he's looking at is the coolest thing he's ever seen, tell everyone how it WILL be the coolest thing we'll ever see, and then I guess he just goes back into his office and crawls into his casket for a nap.

I can honestly say that I have never seen the guy pick up a screw driver.

Steve

When Danny and one of his buddies go up to someone's door in their biker drag to ask about a car thy have found they look like a couple of over-age kids going out trick-or-treating.

Edited by sfhess
  • Haha 2