Model Cars Magazine Forum

1944 GMC CCKW

I started fitting the larger pieces, the cab and bed, as any major mods are easier to do before the suspension goes on.  I was right, it took some serious work to get the cab fit properly and I can't imagine how many times the suspension would have broken if it were on.  Cab and bed mocked up:

P1030615.jpg

• Like 2

Spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out the axle placement.  If I go by the instructions and photos provided, the front axle appears too short and the rear axle is way too long.  I have now decided to ignore the instructions and parts key and swap the front for the rear.  I need to narrow the rear axle by 6/40 (I use an engineer's scale at 40 scale for modelling) and I think that will sort things out.

Nice work Warren. I have the same kit that I ordered directly couple of years back also. I have not looked through the kit carefully to see what is correct and what isn’t. However, I did notice the wheels/tires will need attention.

Also, good to know that you found issues within instructions. I will follow along to see how this goes. Good luck. 

Mike

On 1/30/2023 at 3:02 PM, youngtiger1 said:

Nice work Warren. I have the same kit that I ordered directly couple of years back also. I have not looked through the kit carefully to see what is correct and what isn’t. However, I did notice the wheels/tires will need attention.

Also, good to know that you found issues within instructions. I will follow along to see how this goes. Good luck. 

Mike

Here is the list of issues so far.

As seen in the first photo, the wooden side boards for the front of the bed are taped down which has put a bad twist in it.  Still fighting it trying to get it straight.

The axle positions aren't clear and provided info seems wrong.  The front axle is the longest, the other 2 are almost the same and the longer of the rear ones needs to be trimmed to match.  The front axle is too wide, must be trimmed to get the proper track width.

My kit was missing the driveshaft from the transfer case to the rear-most axle, I had to make my own from tube stock.

The bed is slightly warped, I was able to get most of it out when I attached the tailgate.  Front bed supports needed trimming so bed sits level on frame.

The supports for the 50 cal ring mount don't have an accurate location, and if located where they appear on the real CCKW don't seem long enough.

There isn't any template or info for the cargo bows, wire is included but no bending info.  Reference to real trucks is required.

The sideboards for the driver's side bed are too short, the posts don't align with the cast pockets on the bed.  By the time you get to the back it's noticably off. 

Cab needs a lot of fitting, it sits too far aft.  The interior floor needs to be trimmed to allow the cab to move forward.  Watch the fenders on the cab, they are very thin and will break easily.  One of mine was cracked when I took it out of the box.

I've built 2 complete trucks from resin parts/kits (AITM B85 logger and AITM Rubber Duck Mack) so I'm not exactly new to this.

• Like 2

HI, Warren.  I now have a Tankograd book on the CCKW and have ordered another one with different info.  If you need any technical info give a shout.  I might be able to help in the placement of certain things.   Track of the front wheels is 60" if that gives you any help on the axle length up front.  The rear track is 67" according to the specs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

HI, Warren.  I now have a Tankograd book on the CCKW and have ordered another one with different info.  If you need any technical info give a shout.  I might be able to help in the placement of certain things.   Track of the front wheels is 60" if that gives you any help on the axle length up front.  The rear track is 67" according to the specs.

Thanks, I found the tech manual on line and have it download.

• 1 month later...

Warren, thanks for the info about what you have encountered in your build. Looks like I will have my work cut out when starting mine. I will pull out my kit and check to see all parts there. Btw, can you share a link to Tech manual? Thanks and keep up the good work.

20 hours ago, youngtiger1 said:

Warren, thanks for the info about what you have encountered in your build. Looks like I will have my work cut out when starting mine. I will pull out my kit and check to see all parts there. Btw, can you share a link to Tech manual? Thanks and keep up the good work.

Sorry, I've been having computer issues for the last month and it didn't survive.  Just do a quick Google search for CCKW Tech manual and you should find it.

• Like 1