Model Cars Magazine Forum

windshied wipers

While this is not an impossible task, the issue is that they are such a small part, that you would print 10 and maybe get 5 that didn’t break. Then because they are so small, and difficult to to deal with, a printer would have to charge more than anyone would want to pay for them. 
There is a resin that is “tougher “, but it costs 2x as much as the normal resin. It is more flexible and would work better for these small parts, but again, the cost issue.
On your own, no big deal. You throw 20 on the build plate and do your best to save as many as you can.

Another issue is that there are many different sizes of wipers, small cars, big cars, 1/24, 1/25 scale, trucks, etc. They would have to offer several sizes. 
I think most would agree, it is not a product that they can sell and not lose money on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jdcar32 said:

the photo etch stuff is too 1 dimensional.

It depends on what photoetch ones you get.

If you get the simple ones, yes they look flat. Get a good set that's multi piece that you have to bend up they look pretty good.

These ones from Model Car Garage look pretty good if you use them the way they were intended.

mcg2013_detail.jpg

IMG 1356 

IMG 0782

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I agree that most photoetched wipers look too 2-dimensional.  I also fear that 3D printed ones would be very fragile. For decades I have been using 3mm and 5mm LEDs for lighting up various projects.  I often have trim the long leads.  Those leads have a square cross-section, about 0.020" thick.  I used those leads as a base for my home-made wiper arms and blades.
I take one of those cut-offs and bend one end 90 degrees (to make the mounting shaft).  Then I determine the length of the arm and on the other end I make another 90 degree bend, then trim that one very close to the straight arm. That will be a mounting point for the blade.  Then using soldering iron and solder I thicken the base of the arm. At that point it doesn't look very neat, but then I take a file and since the solder is very soft I file the solder into the tapered shape the arm is supposed to have.  Using another piece of the LED lead I then make a blade.  Either just a single straight piece, or 3-piece like the wipers on the Peterbilt cab.  I then spray paint them silver, and brush-paint black for the rubber element.  They to me look much more realistic than photoetched ones.

Gunze57ChevyBelAirWipers.jpg

Wrecker_wipers.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/23/2023 at 12:51 PM, Oldmopars said:

While this is not an impossible task, the issue is that they are such a small part, that you would print 10 and maybe get 5 that didn’t break. Then because they are so small, and difficult to to deal with, a printer would have to charge more than anyone would want to pay for them. 
There is a resin that is “tougher “, but it costs 2x as much as the normal resin. It is more flexible and would work better for these small parts, but again, the cost issue.
On your own, no big deal. You throw 20 on the build plate and do your best to save as many as you can.

Another issue is that there are many different sizes of wipers, small cars, big cars, 1/24, 1/25 scale, trucks, etc. They would have to offer several sizes. 
I think most would agree, it is not a product that they can sell and not lose money on.

thats good information, looks like I will scrath build the wipers , i've removed the molded wipers on my AMT Avanti. Thank you !

On 1/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, Oldmopars said:

Challenge accepted, I bet I can get 10 for 10

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs

2 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Challenge accepted, I bet I can get 10 for 10

I have no doubt you can find a way to print them. Like I said, not impossible.  But, what would you have to charge to make it worth your time? Add shipping, materials,  etc. Just seems like it would be hard to set a price people would pay, and pay for your time.

I can draw it, but is it worth it?

Edited by Oldmopars