Model Cars Magazine Forum

RIVIERA ROYALE: a heavily customized coachbuilt 1966 Buick Riviera

Claude Thibodeau

On 2/14/2023 at 8:50 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Salut Claude,

Just caught up with this one. Such a wonderful custom design with show car quality. Your creativity and craftsmanship is beyond compare.My hero Bill Mitchell would be proud.

Bill Mitchell was perhaps the greatest design chief, and one of the reasons I joined GM in the early 80's (stayed 35 years). His successors Irv Rybicki, Chuck Jordan and Wayne Cherry did not do so good but then again this was when the company that used to be led by engineers & designers was taken over by the bean counters. There was a ray of hope when Ed Welburn took over with Bob Lutz allowed him to work on better designs by pushing aside the accountants. I met Ed and Bob a few times and they were the real deal. Now they are gone and my hopes for GM designs are pretty slim again.

Sorry for the long side story. Your model is absolutely beautiful and brought back beautiful memories form glories past.

Salut Pierre!

Thanks for the comments.

Mitchell was, inded, the embodiment of the "excessive" design chief, by all accounts. But such a body of work. 

I read the Bob Lutz book (Car guys and bean counters), and it support your comment about the "actuarial approach" so prevalent today. At least, we have some interesting Caddy concepts of late to look at ( Sixteen, Miraj, Ciel and all). Keep them coming!

CT

On 2/15/2023 at 12:16 PM, speedy5963 said:

Very cool, lots of plastic surgery went into this!  It all came together really nice!  That rear angle view with the taillight section and down the side view, sick!  

Hi Paul!

Thank you. I agree with you: on any 66 Riv, the 3/4 rear view of the pointy quarter-panel, rear edge of trunk lid and roof pillar as it reaches the upper quarter is worth a million bucks. One of GM Design's nicest!

CT

On 2/22/2023 at 12:26 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

WOW Claude!  I just found your latest opus and you don't disappoint as usual.  There is no limit to your imagination and your skills are at the level needed to create such incredible vehicles.  I feel like I'm back in the sixties watching a car magazine where they make predictions about the cars of the future.  I haven't seen any of your construction for a while but you give a great shot!   You're going to have a lot of time to spend responding to all these well-deserved rave comments!

As long as it doesn't keep you off the bench for too long, the fruits of your labor are the fuel that keep this hobby alive.  Impressive my friend!!! 👌

Hi Francis!

Thank you for the comments. Don't be afraid: I spend as much time as possible at the bench! I am completing 4 models at once. You should see some on this forum soon, and hopefully in person, when we attend the RAM show in early april. We'll talk and try to schedule our ride in the meantime!

So much styrene, so little time!

CT 

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Thank you Bill! Now, if you will excuse me, NASA is calling on the other line...

:D   Imagine an alternate reality where that actually existed, was the norm, was built from advanced composites and weighed less than 2000 pounds, and was powered by a hydrogen fuel cell (hydrogen supplied by electrolysis from a house-top solar PV array cracking household wastewater into hydrogen and oxygen) delivering 500 horsepower via electric wheel-motors, with a 500 mile range.

My question is, as we have the ability to create that today, why humanity is more intent on posturing and following bleating sheeple down idiot paths, rather than building really cool stuff.

On 2/25/2023 at 7:33 PM, Can-Con said:

Claude, congratulations on hitting the 100 mark for responses to a finished car post. I don't think I've seen anyone do that before. 👍💯🌟

Hi Steve!

Funny that you noted that. But... bear in mind that many of those replies are my reactions to comments from fellow modelers, just as right now.

Puts things in perpective, I guess! LOL.

CT

On 3/1/2023 at 8:47 PM, mustang1989 said:

Man, I don't even know where to start in a response to that build. I can tell ya this....it aint nuthin' but good stuff that I've gotta say about it. Original, cleanly built and truly awesome Claude. 

Thank you Joe! I tought long and hard about it, and I dived: enjoy!

CT

On 3/4/2023 at 10:34 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

:D   Imagine an alternate reality where that actually existed, was the norm, was built from advanced composites and weighed less than 2000 pounds, and was powered by a hydrogen fuel cell (hydrogen supplied by electrolysis from a house-top solar PV array cracking household wastewater into hydrogen and oxygen) delivering 500 horsepower via electric wheel-motors, with a 500 mile range.

My question is, as we have the ability to create that today, why humanity is more intent on posturing and following bleating sheeple down idiot paths, rather than building really cool stuff.

Hi Bill!

Well, it seems that whenever a new technology arrives that increases efficiency (i.e. direct injection), the industry is more enclined to use it to build bigger and more thirsty beasts... than extract maximum from a smaller, more efficient package. Go figure...

CT 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...