Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRGB Kenworth Alaskan Hauler

Thank you for all comments .

James, Ill be adding newer style door handles and reworking the right side hood panel .

I got the frame together ,I added a steerable front axle from the parts box (Revell Peterbilt) made new shocks and added U bolt detail . 

Im hoping to start the rear suspension this weekend we'll see how that goes .

Thanks for looking 

Mark  

front end.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Ronnie for the comment , the wheels are from Moluminum the tires are from Gary Wallace .

I open rear suspension pack "WOW" there is a lot of little parts , gave them a good soaking , will be spending some time on cutting and cleaning up everything .

Thanks for looking .

Mark 

rear suspension.jpg

• Like 2

The kit allready has a Hendrickson walking beam suspension, AMT put a Hendrickson RTE extended leaf suspension on the W925 and K123 kits after they changed from the torsion bar suspension the kits had earlier, so it's not that different from the CTM Hedrickson RT suspension.
The RTE may have been a smoother ride than the RT with the longer leaf springs and the RT was maybe a heavier spec suspension.
With that said, the CTM suspension looks to be very nice and crisp and I look forward to see your progress.

Edited by Force

Thank you for the comment Rockford

Force I thought this truck would be a good candidate to try this suspension on.

Spent most of Sunday cleaning up some of the parts still have a lot more to do .

Here what it looks like cleaned up.

thanks for looking

mark

F3BA2D27-3380-4971-95A8-46F536AD4423.jpeg

BFAD4E5E-80C1-4346-9A94-2C0552DA534E.jpeg

8CB01B7F-F40A-4B8B-93C7-90D03C80B4F4.jpeg

• Like 5

I'm amazed to see that the Alaskan hauler ist so popular!

Till a few days ago I was convinced that IT never really existed as a real truck until I actually found pics of a few in the www. 

IT never shows up in any historical documentaries about KW.

Anyway, I've got Mine since about 1985 or so. 

Posted some pics! 

IMG_20221215_083600_346.jpg

IMG_20220425_144943.jpg

IMG_20220425_144923.jpg

IMG_20221215_083630_034.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, k100 said:

Thank you for the comment Rockford

Force I thought this truck would be a good candidate to try this suspension on.

Spent most of Sunday cleaning up some of the parts still have a lot more to do .

Here what it looks like cleaned up.

thanks for looking

mark

F3BA2D27-3380-4971-95A8-46F536AD4423.jpeg

BFAD4E5E-80C1-4346-9A94-2C0552DA534E.jpeg

8CB01B7F-F40A-4B8B-93C7-90D03C80B4F4.jpeg

No easy ride here lol. 

On 2/23/2023 at 2:28 AM, Jürgen M. said:

I'm amazed to see that the Alaskan hauler ist so popular!

Till a few days ago I was convinced that IT never really existed as a real truck until I actually found pics of a few in the www. 

IT never shows up in any historical documentaries about KW.

Anyway, I've got Mine since about 1985 or so. 

Posted some pics! 

IMG_20221215_083600_346.jpg

IMG_20220425_144943.jpg

IMG_20220425_144923.jpg

IMG_20221215_083630_034.jpg

Please respect others Threads and start a Thread of your own instead of Highjacking other people’s threads. Thank You. You can read this in the forum rules about this.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments .

I was able work on the rear suspension this weekend all tho it’s not finished yet have add the air brakes ,man it was a Challenge getting everything lined up , there are located pins but they are very shallow and hard to keep inline, it took a lot patients . The instructions are just pictures and are hard to till where exactly the parts to go .      
Im not happy with the way the drive shaft is off center but it is what it is I guess .

I used U joints from ST Supply and made the drive shaft . I had to add some shims to make the frame set level.                                            
After I took the picture of the suspension I knocked it off the desk and broke the rear axle off , luckily I was able to repair but it’s alittle crooked .

thanks for looking

Mark

C0C4B36E-1B03-4BC6-B699-F56DA111C04B.jpeg

49E5CD14-A3FF-4B90-88BA-716F0EA09D28.jpeg

729738A5-3189-4908-B0C1-9FAA14E844B2.jpeg

• Like 7

Looks great to me! The driveshaft looks right too, it comes out off centre to miss the ring gear in the front diff. 

My sympathy on breaking your suspension, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm sick of working on something for a good while, then dropping the thing and damaging it. It must be an age thing. Two steps forward, one step back. 

Yes that's right, the drive shaft are slightly off center on most axles as the pinions are to one side of the ring gear in the differential, and in a power divider wich are used on dual drive tandems gears go down to drive the pinion on the forward axle and another shaft goes past the ring gear and come out off center at the rear of the pumpkin to drive the pinion on the rear axle. 

Oshkosh Differential | e Pro Gear

H8f73aa32693b4eb5836653821a20ec26Y.jpg_960x960.jpg

Thank you Rockford and Force for the good information , I should have been a little more clearer on the drive shaft ,the shaft from the mid bearing to the front axle is off center. Maybe that’s the way it’s to be .

thank you 

Mark

E05F1362-91C0-4850-9885-8952D5B4A4D9.jpeg

Edited by k100
Add more text
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 2:17 AM, k100 said:

Thank you Rockford and Force for the good information , I should have been a little more clearer on the drive shaft ,the shaft from the mid bearing to the front axle is off center. Maybe that’s the way it’s to be .

thank you 

Mark

E05F1362-91C0-4850-9885-8952D5B4A4D9.jpeg

Yes it's supposed to be that way, the U-joints takes up that angle difference as well as the differences in hight.
No axles as far as I know has the drive shaft in the center of the axle, it's more or less off center depending on manufacturer and how the power dividers on the forward axle are made.
How much angle difference there are from the center depends on the distance between the center support bearing and the forward axle, on a longer drive shaft it's not as visible as on a short one.

As you see here the drive shaft is not exactly in the center.

Semi-Truck Accident Attorney Utah | Siegfried & Jensen

And this one

What Causes a Semi-Truck to Overturn? │ Pajcic & Pajcic

Edited by Force

My good buddy is our senior heavy duty mechanical foreman ( I worked highways maintenance 38 years ) and I asked the same question regarding a build of mine,and he said a drive shaft has to be at an angle especially high / low of about 6 degrees, as it has to keep a certain 'load' on the u-joint bearings, if it is straight and flat, there is no load and the u-joints will fail...... maybe that might be part of it as well ?

Just a thought

Jeff