Model Cars Magazine Forum

It’s on! For those of you who would like to see the 1971/1972 MPC Plymouth Road Runner re-issued. Now is your chance to let them know!

drksd4848

1 hour ago, drksd4848 said:

How strong was the alcohol you used? 70 or 90?

Isopropyl 91%- seems to work on a lot of poster/ art paints as well as the finish they put on the prepainted AMT kits a few years back

My procedure is a Purple bath as first attempt then alcohol if that doesn't strip it20231006_145450.thumb.jpg.0f437de0167a191dab360163292610b1.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Welp, it’s getting to the point where we see sneak peeks at some of the kits on tap for 2024.

So, whats the story? Are we going to have a 71/72 Road Runner for next year or not? :huh:

At this point Round2 is showing products 3-5 times a year, they're never going to outright admit to something that would fall beyond the first half of next year right now. 

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

At this point Round2 is showing products 3-5 times a year, they're never going to outright admit to something that would fall beyond the first half of next year right now. 

Yeah, I understand. I was just hoping I could stir up one little scrap or a nugget of a hint.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally favor the idea of the newer Charger underpinnings with new body/chrome/interior moulds.

The modular nature of modern kits makes this pretty easy to do, and I would think a good bit less expensive because you don't have to cut everything all over again.

Charlie Larkin

On 2/7/2023 at 6:56 PM, 1972coronet said:

I've long wanted to build a scale replica of the 1971 Road Runner in The Friends of Eddie Coyle, "Hemi, three-eighty-three hemi.", and all.

Blast, you just made me buy another book!

Looked at it on Barnes and Noble's website, sounds like a great book. I don't think I've ever even heard of it before, kind of too bad, as it's local-ish set to me, too.

Charlie Larkin

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, charlie8575 said:

Blast, you just made me buy another book!

Looked at it on Barnes and Noble's website, sounds like a great book. I don't think I've ever even heard of it before, kind of too bad, as it's local-ish set to me, too.

Charlie Larkin

You won't be disappointed with the novel (1970) or the film (1973). Both are outstanding.

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

You won't be disappointed with the novel (1970) or the film (1973). Both are outstanding.

They didn’t need to smash up the Road Runner though. Why is it that all the old movies smashed up Mopar?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

They didn’t need to smash up the Road Runner though. Why is it that all the old movies smashed up Mopar?

Product placement from Chrysler; for some reason they didn't mind showing their cars getting smashed up on screen. I would also imagine stunt drivers appreciated their handling qualities!

12 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

I cringed the first time I watched that scene. However, what was a 1 -2 year old 383 Road Runner worth at that time ? 

The novel is different in that aspect : no drama with cars at the Sharon train station. 

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I cringed the first time I watched that scene. However, what was a 1 -2 year old 383 Road Runner worth at that time ? 

The novel is different in that aspect : no drama with cars at the Sharon train station. 

Yeah, I think in the novel they smashed up a mustang.

Just think… if round 2 reissues the 71/72 rr, think of all the Friends of Eddie Coyle replica road runners we could make…

57 minutes ago, drksd4848 said:

Yeah, I think in the novel they smashed up a mustang.

Just think… if round 2 reissues the 71/72 rr, think of all the Friends of Eddie Coyle replica road runners we could make…

The novel still mentions a 'Roadrunner' [sic] , but it's a metallic blue '69 model - and still has the "three-eight-three hemi" . I won't give away what happened to that car, just in case others haven't read the (excellent) book yet. Suffice it to say that its demise wasn't the same as the one in the film. Also mentioned are a dark green 1969 Charger , and a "three-ninety-six" , model not specified. 

A scale replica of the '71 R.R. from "...Eddie Coyle" is certainly possible. The interior of the film car, however, has a bench seat / column shift combo ; totally different upholstery pattern at that (and door panels - the base model cards). But, GY3 Curious Yellow is an easy find , as is the standard bonnet. A V1X vinyl top could easily be fabbed as well. 

While admittedly a lot more work, best way to get a fully detailed underbody for an MPC 1971-74 Road Runner (and Charger) is to source the underbody and underhood guts from the AM/Ertl 1971 Charger R//T kit.  Here's how that looked on my replica of my 1/1 1974 E58 RR....

image.png.847115f3348ba9daf6c07a5c396e8ca3.png

image.png.2dc2a8ac411edf36d750984b92fe68bd.png

You can see all the gory details (err....that would be "fun" kitbashing, right?) involved in pulling this off in a full-length detailed buildup in the 2020 special Muscle Cars, etc. one-off.  Apparently, it is still available at this link:  Building Muscle Cars - Kalmbach Hobby Store

Best...TIM

• Like 3

5 hours ago, thatz4u said:

IF you have a complete 71-72 Road Runner body, with interior...use an MPC 74 Road Runner to finish it ....

Yes, you can. The trick though is that you have to cut the undercarriage at the back. Because it extends a little bit further on that model and it does on the 71–72.

On 12/9/2023 at 10:33 PM, 1972coronet said:

The novel still mentions a 'Roadrunner' [sic] , but it's a metallic blue '69 model - and still has the "three-eight-three hemi" . I won't give away what happened to that car, just in case others haven't read the (excellent) book yet. Suffice it to say that its demise wasn't the same as the one in the film. Also mentioned are a dark green 1969 Charger , and a "three-ninety-six" , model not specified. 

A scale replica of the '71 R.R. from "...Eddie Coyle" is certainly possible. The interior of the film car, however, has a bench seat / column shift combo ; totally different upholstery pattern at that (and door panels - the base model cards). But, GY3 Curious Yellow is an easy find , as is the standard bonnet. A V1X vinyl top could easily be fabbed as well. 

BTW, for the record, I was kidding about them smashing up a Mustang in the novel. To be honest, I never read the novel. I just really want to see a movie where they demolish a bunch of Fords. And smash up a few Chevys to boot.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

So, why not just bite the bullet and buy one of E-bay or somewhere? 

Because spending over $300 for a plastic model is pure insanity.

For the record, I *do* have an MPC '87 reissue. It's unbuilt, sealed in plastic and I don't want to touch it.  If I spend hundreds of dollars on a plastic model, I want perfection.  And I'm not a perfect modeler.  Now, if they reissue one, then I've got nothing to lose.  I'll build it and a bunch more until I get my modeling chops back.

Edited by drksd4848
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Because spending over $300 for a plastic model is pure insanity.

For the record, I *do* have an MPC '87 reissue. It's unbuilt, sealed in plastic and I don't want to touch it.  If I spend hundreds of dollars on a plastic model, I want perfection.  And I'm not a perfect modeler.  Now, if they reissue one, then I've got nothing to lose.  I'll build it and a bunch more until I get my modeling chops back.

I agree, over 300 bucks is insane for an old Plymouth annual re-release. I'd never pay that either.

Good thing they don't really go for that. There's 3 unbuilt on e-bay now. two are about $120 and the third is about $80. 

You could buy about 3 current kits or one of those. I guess it all depends on how bad you really want it, right. 😉

I will tell you a secret though, there's very few modellers who can build perfection. I've been doing this for about 50 years now and I know I sure can't do it. 

Don't worry about perfection or pining for a reissue that might never happen. Get what you want and built it while you can because you never know what might happen in the future.🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I agree, over 300 bucks is insane for an old Plymouth annual re-release.

The one in the link is actually an original 1972 annual . That year was a one-and-done , updated to the 1973 ad sequitur . The 1987 issue is of the 1971 (complete with 1980s rims , which replaced the originals' Cragar S/S). Those can be had for $40 - $80 (with a handful of underwear smokers asking for $100+ for unbuilt samples). 

That being said : I agree that three C-notes is too much, 1972-only notwithstanding.