Model Cars Magazine Forum

It’s on! For those of you who would like to see the 1971/1972 MPC Plymouth Road Runner re-issued. Now is your chance to let them know!

drksd4848

58 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Are there variations in the interiors for 1971 and 1972?

Not really. There are some variations for the base trim, but the buckets are the same as well as the upper level trim. You could use that for both years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Not really. There are some variations for the base trim, but the buckets are the same as well as the upper level trim. You could use that for both years. 

That's fortunate - A two in one 1971 and 1972 kit with parts for both Road Runner and GTX seems more possible.  I prefer 1971 but I'm aware many others would like the '72.  Decals for emblems and side marker lights works for me - I would remove them anyway.  If it could be a rebody on the 1971 Charger chassis - so much the better.  Just spit balling a few ideas...

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

An argument in favour of including the Air Grabber hood Check Out the 1972 Plymouth Road Runner GTX 440+6 Chrysler Swore Never Existed (motortrend.com)

Hemmings Muscle Machines did an article on a '72 440-6.  It was stated that probably 18 Chargers and Road Runners were built in August of '71 with this engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Maybe that this type of striping wasn't available on a '71?

1972 only strobe stripes; 1971 was a different design, but in the same section of the car. 

IIRC, the standard 400-HP (which was new for 1972; a bored-over 383) didn't receive displacement callouts on the hood 'scoops'. The optional 340 and the top 440 - with standard hood - received the C.I.D. callouts, but not the standard 400. 

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

Hemmings Muscle Machines did an article on a '72 440-6.  It was stated that probably 18 Chargers and Road Runners were built in August of '71 with this engine.

From what I understand, the number was much lower than that. The images I've seen indicated a scheduled production date of "08/01 [1971]" , as that was the first day of regular production for the next model year.
I first learnt about the 'fabled' 1972 R.R./GTX & Charger Rallye 440+6 back in 1989. At that time, there was only one which was allegedly documented as legitimate: FY1 Top Banana Rallye Charger.
Its whereabouts are unknown.

Early 1972 literature exhibits the 440 Six Barrel (Plymouth) / Six Pack (Dodge) as an option, and further mentions that that engine was to operated only on premium fuel; its compression was still 10.25:1 (vs. +/- 8.5:1 for the 440 four barrel).

72_Satellite_17.jpg

7 hours ago, stavanzer said:

What is the significance of the Yellow Arrows? What exactly is this photo showing?

That just came with the picture.  1972coronet showed a '72 with an air grabber, so I had to counter with a '71 with the standard RR hood. 😉

7 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Maybe that this type of striping wasn't available on a '71?

Correct, the fender strobe stripes were only an option on the '72, so the picture was wrong.  There were a set of solid fender strips available for '71 but that was only an option for the GTX (I *think*) 

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

1972 only strobe stripes; 1971 was a different design, but in the same section of the car. 

IIRC, the standard 400-HP (which was new for 1972; a bored-over 383) didn't receive displacement callouts on the hood 'scoops'. The optional 340 and the top 440 - with standard hood - received the C.I.D. callouts, but not the standard 400. 

Yes... sort of.  I can confirm my parent's RR (the one you see in the first post) had a 400 with the standard hood and no callout, but I have seen others with it.  I think it *might* have depended on the tape package, although I can't say for certain.  Things were far more loosey-goosey back then coming from the factory and sometimes the dealer added some stuff.  Plus different items were added (and taken away) later in the model year.  For example, my parents RR was delivered in November of '71 and came with the Satellite header ornament (a plymouth logo).  Others came with a Road Runner decal.

Edited by drksd4848
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

That just came with the picture.  1972coronet showed a '72 with an air grabber, so I had to counter with a '71 with the standard RR hood. 😉

Correct, the fender strobe stripes were only an option on the '72, so the picture was wrong.  There were a set of solid fender strips available for '71 but that was only an option for the GTX (I *think*) 

Yes... sort of.  I can confirm my parent's RR (the one you see in the first post) had a 400 with the standard hood and no callout, but I have seen others with it.  I think it *might* have depended on the tape package, although I can't say for certain.  Things were far more loosey-goosey back then coming from the factory and sometimes the dealer added some stuff.  Plus different items were added (and taken away) later in the model year.  For example, my parents RR was delivered in November of '71 and came with the Satellite header ornament (a plymouth logo).  Others came with a Road Runner decal.

I've seen reproduction '400' decals. My first exposure to the 1972's 'blank' callout' was on the 1972 Road Runner 400 which was a featured resto-modified in 1990-1995 issues of Mopar Action, owned by Richard Ehrenberg. He had purchased NOS decals for the hood (and the strobes for the front fenders & over-the-roof), and they were applied to the car. I remember his mentioning that - to paraphrase - "The standard 400 decals were blank ..." and that they were reflective.

Who knows? Maybe there was a mid-late 1972 production change? Certainly 1972 was the last year that a big block was standard, and that a high-perf engine was standard, as for 1973 the 170hp 318 (I didn't realise that dual exhaust added 20 net h.p. !)was standard. 

*AMENDMENT* Here's the issue of Mopar Action which started the 1972 Road Runner "Restification" History (Oct ’90) – Mopar Action On-line – MoparAction

Edited by 1972coronet

When I built my '72 RR, I vaguely recall noting that the factory literature showed the hood/fender stripes as solid lines, not with the break in the center of the graphic lines.  But all the images of the real cars showed the break in the middle.  I came to the conclusion that the original design was not feasible in terms of actual application at the plant (probably because of the curved fender surfaces), so they had to alter the design with the break in the center to get consisent results on the line at the factory.   I built my model in that way, using decals (IIRC) from Keith Marks.  TB  

PS- I am typing this from memory, without double checking my resource file, so don't hesitate to challenge me if my memory is incorrect on this....TB 

DSC 1106

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drksd4848 said:

Yes, and apparently, if you look at the product page (link below), you’ll see the manufacturer is…. Round2. 

🤔

I somehow missed the link the first time around. 

Looks too toy-like for my taste -- ignition wires are incorrectly routed, for an instance.

Yeah, I’ll take the 1/25 MPC version any day over that. Those 1/18 scale versions always looked… Awkward. They just never fit right. I’m just floored that A 1/18 scale 72 Road Runner exists. I have not seen it for sale anywhere else other than this site. Is this a preproduction version?

14 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Yes, and apparently, if you look at the product page (link below), you’ll see the manufacturer is…. Round2. 

🤔

I remember the 1/18th '71 Road Runner ERTL American Muscle they did maybe 20 years ago, back when I collected 1/18th diecast...this is presumably a variation of that tooling.

Yes I would like to see a release of the Factory stock 72 over the 71. Better yet,  as in following of JRS current line of marketing,  add both grill inserts, both rear bumpers/tail lights and use decals for the side marker light on smooth flush fenders. Two options covered w/o two complete kits competing.  To up the ante more,  incorporate the chassis and suspension from the 68/69 RR.

The two posted were acquired in the last 3 years. The blue was a hodge podge of parts that made a complete kit while the green was a promo that I ran across with a broken roof. 

At the time I was going to used the bumpers and wheels for the Blue build but realized that the AMT Charger roofline and A pillars were somewhat shared in actual factory production.  Thus an easy fix and a monumental save. Have a 3rd kit that I haven't decided on the direction yet...to much eye candy coming out ALL THE TIME!

20191019_111924.jpg

20191019_111859.jpg

20191019_111609.jpg

20191019_111834.jpg

20191019_111707.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love how you did the roof on the promo. The canopy top of the great idea. Incidentally, how did you do the roof? As in what did you use to attach it to the promo, and what material did you use for the canopy top?  And how did you make the molding at the back of the canopy?  It’s really cool how the AMT chargers roof fits so seamlessly.

• Like 1