Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 IROC

Plastic_Passion

So knowing these posts on the rear axles have to go so I can do the coils that are supposed to be there I was curious about what the ride height would be if I didn't use spacers on the touring car springs. I decided I'd marke the posts and cut them at that height before I lopped them off completely.  Doing the scale conversion it's roughly .25" which equates to a 2" drop on a 1:1 scale.

• 6 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 11:10 PM, kelson said:

I'm looking forward to this build!,i have a built up and a unbuilt one in my stash,i would love if Rays Kits Decals offered the lower striping in different colors so you have more options for colors to paint the exterior.

Kelson, I’m working with Ray right now to create a super detailed decal set for the 82-89 Camaro in 4 different scales, including 1/16 and 1/8.  The plan is to offer all trim levels and all color options.  He’s even doing seat pattern decals for the different materials GM used on the various years.  It’s going to be amazing when he gets it done!  

I took a ton of photos and measurements of my unrestored 1:1 ‘89 and and sent everything to him.  All the under hood decals, badges, everything inside, door jamb decals.  He’s including everything!

IMG_9116.jpeg

Edited by Jason R
  • Like 2

Your build is looking fantastic so far!  Definitely going the extra mile to fill in the gaps that Monogram should have done in the first place!  These kits are terribly under-detailed for their size.  Definitely looking forward to seeing it finished!

6 hours ago, Jason R said:

Kelson, I’m working with Ray right now to create a super detailed decal set for the 82-85 Camaro in 4 different scales, including 1/16 and 1/8.  The plan is to offer all trim levels and all color options.  He’s even doing seat pattern decals for the different materials GM used on the various years.  It’s going to be amazing when he gets it done!  

I took a ton of photos and measurements of my unrestored 1:1 ‘89 and and sent everything to him.  All the under hood decals, badges, everything inside, door jamb decals.  He’s including everything!

IMG_9116.jpeg

That's great news as I have this same kit and want different color options

14 minutes ago, hgbben said:

That's great news as I have this same kit and want different color options

hgbben I’m so excited that I can’t hardly stand it!  LOL. I’ve had my 1:1 for 25 years and have been hanging onto my 1/8 kit for nearly as long just waiting to be able to build the model to match.  Ray is doing both the 85-87 stripe version as well as the 88-90 with the gap between the stripes.  By the time he’s done, these will be the ultimate decal set for the 82-89 Camaro kit!  

I plan to build at least three, matching these two and my 1:1.

IMG_6340.jpeg

IMG_6342.jpeg

Edited by Jason R
Correcting typos.
  • Like 2

funny this would pop up, I was just in the garage cleaning up and organizing parts for my 3rd gen. 85 Trans am, 305 TPI. this kit looks awesome, i do hope the details are better than the 1985 camaro revell kit, there are some glaring inaccuracies on that kit. 

I've always liked these cars......a LOT. We used to go to my grandparents house quite regularly and I had an uncle that lived the next house over from them. I never had too high of an opinion of him because he always had his priorities mixed up between family and his "toys" but he sure had a good taste in cars. He picked one of these up and it was an all red car. Man that car was beautiful. True to form, he couldn't make the payments and it fell on my mom to return it for him which at the time was cool with me because I was around 16 years old at the time with a drivers license. Just about ANY 16 year old kid would have loved that so I was happy to oblige. Really cool car and I loved every second of driving it even though it was the 305 version. 

58 minutes ago, xbazzarex said:

funny this would pop up, I was just in the garage cleaning up and organizing parts for my 3rd gen. 85 Trans am, 305 TPI. this kit looks awesome, i do hope the details are better than the 1985 camaro revell kit, there are some glaring inaccuracies on that kit. 

You are to be envied as well. That era of F bodies were some of the best IMO. Even though these kits are older, I'm a bit surprised at the inaccuracies given the large scale of these beautiful cars. There aint no way kit any reputable kit manufacturer could get away with that nowadays. lol 

Pretty cool kit, one day I will build it, since we have a IROC... :D I build the Pace car 14 years ago. Wires the engine bay was a big part of the job. Also paint all the stripes... Since the kit offered the option to build the Pace Car version, I wish they add flags, light bars, t-top, etc... But easy thing to scratch. 1849573372_ScreenShot2023-10-07at8_17_15PM.png.e71ef05ed9427424d9958a25abedbe1e.png

1448095197_ScreenShot2023-10-07at8_17_27PM.png.36cb7442b39d7c8c54527eebb59e9b06.png

1474991870_ScreenShot2023-10-07at8_24_14PM.png.2b45b8863bd154187e1a9db7ccb59535.png

• Like 3

Sounds like I’m a little older than you guys , but I also love this generation of camaro. Had a few of them. The iroc was soo fun to drive. Had a book from Chevrolet on how the car was built and designed. All of my buddies love the 67-69 Camaros and have them today , but for me I really like the irocs and this generation of the Camaro. I will be watching this build and will definitely have to buy this kit. Good start and this will be fun, 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brizio said:

Pretty cool kit, one day I will build it, since we have a IROC... :D I build the Pace car 14 years ago. Wires the engine bay was a big part of the job. Also paint all the stripes... Since the kit offered the option to build the Pace Car version, I wish they add flags, light bars, t-top, etc... But easy thing to scratch. 

1474991870_ScreenShot2023-10-07at8_24_14PM.png.2b45b8863bd154187e1a9db7ccb59535.png

I like your take on that car Fabrizio. That engine compartment looks the part indeed. Awesome detailing and easy to take for the real thing. Growing up I always thought the Crossfire Injection was "all that" but once I got in the dealership as a technician, I quickly learned that it was NOT. In theory it was a cool concept but nowhere NEAR what the Tuned Port Injection capabilities were. This is certainly not to take away from the beautiful detailing that you've pulled off here though. 

All I can say is.....WOW!!! 

Nice Build! And nice modifications!

I have found many Monogram big scale kits lack parts, they have even fewer parts than the 1:24 counter part. I am glad we have 3D printers today!

I have seen that kit recently when i bought it for my friend that have a 1:1.

His thought was to use the body for a 1:8 RC car. 

His 1:1 is heavily modifyed with a LS2 and T56. Half cage with lower bars and race seats. Body have been repainted in a pure white collor (without yellow) but with a clearcoat with silver and orange pearl. 

Today he run Track tires on all 4 corner on "17 original GM five spoke Grand sport wheels from c4 which are light. He also have a set of the light weight Y2K wheels. He also changed the original hood louvers to the aftermarket ones that are funktional.

Edited by Mattilacken