Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 Impala....making the best...

customline

11 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

A couple of thoughts I suspect you shot the candy blue too wet and it dissolved the pearl white and pulled away from the sharp edges. I've had that problem in the past with tamiya.

You may be correct, Bob. Poor execution. Paint is not my thing.

• 4 weeks later...

.....OK,  so I thought I could just wet-sand this thing with 2000 and then empty the can on it and I would have a nice candy blue paint job, inclusions notwithstanding. But I'm sorry, no....the sanding revealed how my rattlecan technique is a total failure and I should be farming out my paint jobs. 💩. Also, to add insult to injury, my bodywork sucks too. 😢

I think the kit may be cursed.

Anyway, the sanding revealed numerous low spots and sinkholes that I didn't catch in the primer phase. NEVER SKIP BLOCK-SANDING.

So I'm back to square one. I am abandoning any thoughts of a cool candy blue paint job in favor of something that was suggested by one of our colleagues a few pages back. IMG_4370.jpg.4e1f6e1e1d133df0f6fefb0418c77167.jpgIMG_4371.jpg.d1a45b8abf10bbf70b57ac72eeecc488.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slotto said:

Ooooh, I dig the primer look. Dont be so hard on yourself.

I'm just hamming, Steve, for the entertainment value. This $h1t happens to everybody. I am serious about a paint change though. The 3 options I'm wrestling with: satin black, gloss orange, gloss red, and dark gray primer. Oh....wait....

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

That’s what I’m talking about!😁

I’m normally not into the primer look, but something about this one just grabs my attention.  I’m digging it.👍

I am especially fond of that shade of gray. Very classy. You just may get your wish, Jeremy. I wonder how satin eggplant would look....🤔

• 2 months later...

Today was a good day. Mid 70s, 50% RH, full sun and a trace of a breeze. Got more paint done.  This one finally got some color. It's Boyd's orange pearl on top of Tamiya fine surface gray. Wifey didn't like it.  I like it. That's what counts. She wasn't crazy about the purple one either.  🤡  no vision.

IMG_4925.jpg.020ff2adcf8705083a4881277d2a96c0.jpgIMG_4927.jpg.c9c4a5b7233fab5f8dd52cde22edc98a.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/20/2023 at 6:22 AM, atomicholiday said:

Those both look terrific!   Especially the orange one.   Wow.   That's gonna be killer when you get it all together. 

17 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

The orange looks great Jim.  Like you have said and I agree, this kit kinda sucks but can be made to look good in spite of it's issues. 

Thanks, guys, it's been worth the wait for me. I'm trying to take advantage of this perfect weather here. My paint jobs are usually better with my airbrush but not necessarily. This looks like a win but, until the post-paint work is done, I'm not jumping for joy just yet. I'm still unsure about clear coating. These Testor's paints polish up pretty well if given a good 2 weeks to harden. If polished too soon, the results are less than stellar. I'm not a very patient person. Therein lies the rub-out (pretty funny, huh?) I'll do some quick mock-up with both of them as soon as there's no fingerprint danger, maybe later today. Thanks for your input!

On 5/8/2023 at 6:33 PM, Rodent said:

I have never owned any of them. I believe that the red taillights and the firewall disappeared with the Prestige issue in the late 1980s, but I don't know for sure. 

AMT may have remove the red taillights about 1977 . I suspect AMT was going to do a Countdown series kit of the 1963 Impala. Maybe the strike  at AMT changed new kit plans. The red tail lights were in the Chevelle Drag Combo with that 63 Impala as the tow car.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:54 AM, SfanGoch said:

If you want to add a '63 Impala to your stash, or just to build, might as well get the AMT kit and put your modeling skills to work because it doesn't seem like Revell will be reissuing its version anytime soon. Or later. Fleabay prices border on the ridiculously expensive.

True statement, I think $80 is too much for this kit. 

• 2 weeks later...