Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wire end ferrules, not just for wire anymore...

using ferrules as a detailing element, here is a photo of Weidmuller ferrules used where I work, this would be 14mm in length

and about 16gage (ferrules can be ordered in various wire sizes, lengths and other manufacturers). The upper one has had the plastic collar removed, it can be carefully cut off or heated up and pulled off. The ferrules are plated copper,

so can be formed/deformed easily.

ferrules.thumb.jpg.7c7946ca2e12326018d9e6b2e61e99ba.jpg

ferrules were used on the exhaust and carbs.

Ferrule-detail.thumb.jpg.e364943e03f1c02029e7f5c265f769d1.jpg

• Like 4

amazon sells them under a different manufacturer, the ones in the photo were borrowed from work.

doing a google search for "Weidmuller ferrules" will yield several sources and manufacturers.

Edited by blunc

They are incredibly useful, I agree. I searched for “bootlace ferrules” and got a set of six different sizes in a neat sorting container. Mine didn’t have any plastic so are good to use out of the box. One trick I’ve learned is to cut them to length without squishing, just roll gently under a sharp knife blade: if you get the “flare” over the edge of your cutting mat, the cylindrical portion will roll back and forth in a straight line…

best,

M.