Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘41 Willys Pro Mod Batman Tribute

Lobo2me

While shopping online for scale model parts and accessories, I recently stumbled across a very cool 1:24 scale 3-D printed Pro Mod body. I had never built one of those or worked with a resin body before. 

I’ve always loved anything Willys and was inspired by the flowing lines and wide, low-slung stance of the ’41. I ordered the body but now had to figure out how to build it and develop a paint scheme. Turning to the internet again, I came across the Batman Tribute Pro Mod created by Coast Chassis Design and downloaded dozens of images showing Pro Mod frames, engines, and suspensions. That’s it! I was now ready to attempt to build my version.

During the weeks it took for the body to arrive, I found a suitable resin 572 Supercharged Chevy motor, fat slicks and Zoomie headers. They arrived in less than a week, so I built the engine first.

When the body showed up, I was impressed by the shape and its relatively smooth surfaces but also quickly discovered the warnings about the material's brittleness were accurate. I snapped a window frame repeatedly, trying to cut open the doors. Finally, success! And I made the front-end bodywork detachable.

Next, I scratch-built the chassis, front and rear suspensions, roll cage, interior, and the items below, from styrene rod, tube, sheet, diamond plate, wire, and a few PE bits. To hold things together, I used two types of epoxies, two types of styrene cement, and three types of cyanoacrylate glues.

While phases of the project were curing, I smoothed out the body and applied a slightly simplified version of a Tribute to Batman paint scheme using Tamiya rattle can spray paints and bottles of Testors, other finishes, and made custom inkjet decals.

Scratch-Built Items, Mods & Finishes:

·      Rear Suspension w/Coil Overs

·      Posable Front Suspension w/ Coil Overs

·      Engine Plumbing (plug wires, injectors, oil lines, etc.)

·      Fuel Cell

·      Oil Tank

·      B&M Shifter

·      Digital Dash

·      5 Point Racing Harness

·      Fire Extinguisher

·      Oxygen Bottle

·      Wheelie Bars

·      Dual Parachutes

·      Smoked Lexan Windshield and Side Windows

Tamiya Spray Paints

o   Candy Lime Green

o   Silver Leaf

o   Metallic Blue

o   Titanium Gold

o   Titanium Silver

o   Black (gloss)

o   Semi-gloss Black

o   Gun Metal

o   Light Gun Metal

Testors Paint

o   Flat Black

o   Gloss Black

o   Gloss Red

o   Gloss Yellow

o   Metallic Silver

Misc. Paints & Finishes

o   Motlow Chrome Pen

o   Rust-Oleum Chrome Finish

o   Testors Dull Coat

o   Testors High Gloss Clear 

Thanks for looking and comments, please.

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1227.jpeg

IMG_1217.jpeg

IMG_1211.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1192.jpeg

IMG_1174.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1112.jpeg

IMG_1100.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

IMG_1250.jpeg

IMG_1264.jpeg

Edited by Lobo2me
After the photoshoot, this one wouldn't fit my display case. So, I made supports to raise and move the front bodywork back about 1/4 of an inch. I figured this would also help protect the crew chief's bald head between runs! Two new photos added.

14 hours ago, M W Elky said:

Wow what a great level of detail and talent ! Building pro mods is so out of my wheelhouse. But I loved watching them run at ATCO’S night of thrills some really great memories there 

Not a huge leap from your excellent "Building the Covers" Pro Stock examples. Pro Mods are cool, but I still miss classic Altereds.

13 minutes ago, Lobo2me said:

Not a huge leap from your excellent "Building the Covers" Pro Stock examples. Pro Mods are cool, but I still miss classic Altereds.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but it seems like more people build door cars than dragsters and altereds . That’s me included though it may be a shifting demographic in age

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, M W Elky said:

I don’t know if it’s just me, but it seems like more people build door cars than dragsters and altereds . That’s me included though it may be a shifting demographic in age

Think so. Lots more classes for door slammers.

3 hours ago, Lobo2me said:

Think so. Lots more classes for door slammers.

Wish model companies offered kits of new dragsters of all kinds. I'd build a dozen or more top fuelers, funnies, pro stock and pro mods.

Wow,great job.I really like door slammers,Pro Mod,and Pro Stock cars.I also found a great 3D printed pro mod 66 Nova.The body took a ton of sanding ,and smoothing before I could even apply the first coat.I seriously sanded the car for weeks on and off.Then I got involved with another build,and threw the Nova on the back burner for now.Anyway,do you have the link to the site where you found this body?Your build reminds me of Scotty Cannon’s 41 Willys Promod.Which some say is one of the first Promod cars built..He was able to get sponsorship from a company called On Sat.
Thanks.

IMG_5285.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Wow,great job.I really like door slammers,Pro Mod,and Pro Stock cars.I also found a great 3D printed pro mod 66 Nova.The body took a ton of sanding ,and smoothing before I could even apply the first coat.I seriously sanded the car for weeks on and off.Then I got involved with another build,and threw the Nova on the back burner for now.Anyway,do you have the link to the site where you found this body?Your build reminds me of Scotty Cannon’s 41 Willys Promod.Which some say is one of the first Promod cars built..He was able to get sponsorship from a company called On Sat.
Thanks.

IMG_5285.png

Thanks for the ProMod history. Very interesting. 

14 hours ago, Lobo2me said:

Hi Ron;

Took a while...but couldn't find details on the resin body...other than searching the internet for RESIN 3D PRINTED 1/24 1941 WILLYS PRO MOD COUPE BODY. Several come up...I got this one on eBay for $24.95+S/H.

Best of luck

On 6/12/2023 at 10:58 PM, Lobo2me said:

🤣Your very welcome,& thank you for searching for the model.I will try to search for it on line.

Edited by NYLIBUD
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...