Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:16 Scale 1962 Ford Consul Cortina by FROG kits

Anglia105E

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nicely done.  You did a very nice job on a difficult kit. The multi piece body definitely made the build more challenging . 

Many thanks for your kind comments Bob . . . I would agree that the way this kit goes together, and particularly the body, makes for some interesting model building challenges, which is all part of the fun for us of course !

David

David.

What a coincidence.  My late brother in law's first car was a maroon 105E also.

Knowing that your first car was an Anglia 105E, thinking about it, if you are looking to make a model of your own first car look to Harry Potter. I am pretty sure that I saw a nice little 1/24th scale die cast of the one featured in one of two of the films advertised somewhere. Looks like it is a standard car so should be very easy to make yours from I would imagine. The Potter one is light blue from what I can remember, so a respray and possibly getting it apart to change the interior trim colour if necessary should not be too difficult. Incidentally, Motobitz make old style UK number plate decals for cars of that era.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

3 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

David.

What a coincidence.  My late brother in law's first car was a maroon 105E also.

Knowing that your first car was an Anglia 105E, thinking about it, if you are looking to make a model of your own first car look to Harry Potter. I am pretty sure that I saw a nice little 1/24th scale die cast of the one featured in one of two of the films advertised somewhere. Looks like it is a standard car so should be very easy to make yours from I would imagine. The Potter one is light blue from what I can remember, so a respray and possibly getting it apart to change the interior trim colour if necessary should not be too difficult. Incidentally, Motobitz make old style UK number plate decals for cars of that era.

A coincidence indeed Noel . . . and talking of coincidences, I was reading an article about George Harrison of the Beatles and how the first car that he owned was a dark blue 1959 Ford Anglia 105E . . . My second car, after the 1960 maroon 105E, was a dark blue 1959 Ford Anglia 105E which I painted black in due course !

I have already built a resin bodied Ford Anglia 105E some years ago in 1:24 scale, for which I scratch built a chassis, fitted some clear plastic windows and sprayed the car with the Ford colour Imperial Maroon. Here are a few photos of that model car . . . The 1:24 scale diecast Anglia 105E, the Harry Potter one, is quite good but somewhere I did read that it was slightly out of scale?

David

100_2061.JPG

100_2063.JPG

100_2065.JPG

100_2066.JPG

To continue with the moulding and casting tests, in order to produce a front side light for this Cortina, I have used Milliput to create the mould for two test parts . . . Vaseline was applied to the inside of the small plastic box, and also to the surface of the part. Following overnight setting of the Milliput, I have filled each mould with hot glue. This has turned out successful, and the part cast in hot glue was easily removed . . . This process is being repeated tonight, using the original side light part from the FROG kit.

One more photo of the 1:16 scale Ford Cortina, and the smaller 1:24 scale Ford Anglia.

David

100_2072.JPG

100_2073.JPG

100_2075.JPG

100_2079.JPG

100_2080.JPG

100_2089.JPG

As things turned out, the hot glue version of the side light part was not good enough, so I decided to cast the part in the same Milliput material.

By marking the outline of the mould with a black Sharpie, I was able to see the join, because both the mould and the cast part are the same colour.

The Vaseline acts as a very effective release agent. The Milliput side light part is much better, and both front side lights are now glued in place on the car.

Also, I have used Molotow Liquid Chrome from a refill, to brush onto the bezel around the side light. Both lenses have been painted with Humbrol matt white

The side lights are on the car and done. There are no further parts to be assembled or painted.

When the outdoor photo shoot takes place, subject to weather conditions improving, I shall be using my daughter's Nikon D3000 DSLR camera, which should be capable of handling the forced perspective that I am aiming for.

I think this model is just about ready to post in the Under Glass section of the forum . . . This build has taken 38 days to complete.

Many thanks to all fellow members who have kindly viewed my topic, and offered me valuable advice. This has to be THE best model cars forum !

David

100_2094.JPG

100_2109.JPG

100_2111.JPG

100_2119.JPG

_DSC0011.JPG

100_2143.JPG

100_2144.JPG

100_2147.JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I’m so impressed with the finished model of your Cortina!
I found your model cars mag.com page while looking for information about Frog’s 1/16 model of the Vauxhall Victor Estate.

My model car was rediscovered while clearing my parents’ home after mum died. It had been bought by my dad in the early 1960s as at the time, my dad owned a black Vauxhall Victor saloon with a red leather interior. I still remember the registration number to this day although sadly I have no photos of the car XCS 350. The car was a 1964 model. Up here in Ayrshire they still issued old three letter, three number registrations until 1965, so there were no A or B suffix year letters issued until the year letter C, which I think was 1965.

Anyway,  the model was never started by dad and I began it back in 1975 or thereabouts when I was 15. I painted the car body using a Holts car touch up aerosol, which if memory is correct was Vauxhall Starfire Blue, which was the colour of a 1975 Viva that we owned. I never completed the kit at the time which is possibly how it has come to survive(and thankfully escape my sister’s purge of all things deemed as ‘rubbish’ during the house clearance. I am hoping to resume work on the model, some 49 years or so later as I’m now 64!
I have found your Ford Cortina project exceedingly interesting and hopefully I am now sufficiently motivated to start work on some of my model ‘stash’ that I have accumulated in the past few years, but which I’ve not had time to start.

From Douglas Kearney, email ‘toorollingstoned4me@yahoo.co.uk

15 hours ago, Douglas Kearney said:

I’m so impressed with the finished model of your Cortina!
I found your model cars mag.com page while looking for information about Frog’s 1/16 model of the Vauxhall Victor Estate.

My model car was rediscovered while clearing my parents’ home after mum died. It had been bought by my dad in the early 1960s as at the time, my dad owned a black Vauxhall Victor saloon with a red leather interior. I still remember the registration number to this day although sadly I have no photos of the car XCS 350. The car was a 1964 model. Up here in Ayrshire they still issued old three letter, three number registrations until 1965, so there were no A or B suffix year letters issued until the year letter C, which I think was 1965.

Anyway,  the model was never started by dad and I began it back in 1975 or thereabouts when I was 15. I painted the car body using a Holts car touch up aerosol, which if memory is correct was Vauxhall Starfire Blue, which was the colour of a 1975 Viva that we owned. I never completed the kit at the time which is possibly how it has come to survive(and thankfully escape my sister’s purge of all things deemed as ‘rubbish’ during the house clearance. I am hoping to resume work on the model, some 49 years or so later as I’m now 64!
I have found your Ford Cortina project exceedingly interesting and hopefully I am now sufficiently motivated to start work on some of my model ‘stash’ that I have accumulated in the past few years, but which I’ve not had time to start.

From Douglas Kearney, email ‘toorollingstoned4me@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you very much for your comments Douglas . . . Your story is fascinating, and I am pleased to hear that you are returning to scale model car building after all these years . . . Just like you, I stopped building model cars when I was about 13 years of age, and then started up again at the age of 63.

During the past 7 years or so I have turning out many models, and I must have spent a great deal of time and money on this interesting hobby. I have tended to concentrate on Rolls-Royce motor cars, sometimes exclusively on the Silver Cloud, but I have built three 1953 Hudson Hornets, the 1963 Ford Consul Cortina, a 1968 Lotus 49B as driven by Graham Hill, a 1968 Pontiac Parisienne 5.3 litre V8 (Canadian), various French classics from the 1950's and most of the Rolls-Royce Phantom range from 1927 - 1937 . . .

I hope your Vauxhall Victor Estate goes well as a build, and the FROG kits are really nice actually . . . Their 1:16 scale kits are now very rare, especially the Vauxhall, and you do have to pay a lot of money for them on Ebay.

David

I'm afraid that I lost track of this thread for a long while. June and July were very busy months for me personally.

But as a rather wise man once said, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."

Fabulous work finishing this one up David. I'm glad I had the chance to catch up on the thread.

I'll have to see if I can find it in the "Under Glass" section.

David G.

2 minutes ago, David G. said:

I'm afraid that I lost track of this thread for a long while. June and July were very busy months for me personally.

But as a rather wise man once said, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."

Fabulous work finishing this one up David. I'm glad I had the chance to catch up on the thread.

I'll have to see if I can find it in the "Under Glass" section.

David G.

Thank you David, and I can't actually remember if this topic found it's way to the "Under Glass" section . . . I must check !

David

12 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Thank you David, and I can't actually remember if this topic found it's way to the "Under Glass" section . . . I must check !

David

Here is a link to the Cortina under glass topic David . . .

David W.