Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Buick Skylark GS

Daryl Romain

I have one of those kits i got from him 18 years ago and just now took it out to build i found that the AMT 69 Chevelle kit works great for the donor kit in fact i am going to see if one of the Revell 68 or 69 Chevelle kits may work to. I just started with mine in fact i for got i even had it i found it in the back of the pile looking for something else.

I think any of the above should work, actually any GM intermediate chassis from 66 to 72 should , without too many complications. The 66 & 67 have a different rear window so they wouldn't be rear glass donors.  I have a 69 Skylark body on order. It's donor will be an Amt '70 Chevelle kit that is a duplicate.

16 minutes ago, Daryl Romain said:

I think any of the above should work, actually any GM intermediate chassis from 66 to 72 should , without too many complications. The 66 & 67 have a different rear window so they wouldn't be rear glass donors.  I have a 69 Skylark body on order. It's donor will be an Amt '70 Chevelle kit that is a duplicate.

Sounds like you got a good game plan figured out for it Daryl.

One thing to be aware of though is the '66/'67 GM mid-size cars were also on a slightly longer wheelbase then the '68/'72 cars. 

I'm pretty sure they went from 116" to 112 then, but I've found it doesn't show up in 1/25, or maybe I'm just making slight adjustments. Can't remember. This is an unaltered '66, although dirt track chassis, under this '68 body. That's what I had. If I were starting fresh, I'd use a 68 Chevelle donor.

IMG_20230629_073408027.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daryl Romain said:

'm pretty sure they went from 116" to 112

Close; they went from 115" to 112".  Less than 1/8" in 1/25 scale, so adjusting each end 1/16" would be pretty much imperceptible. On the other hand, the AMT '69 Olds kits (Hurst Olds, Cutlass 442) should be a perfect fit and have the correct BOP details, not to mention much better details than the older Chevelle kits. With prices like they are now, you can probably find one of these cheaper than a Revell '68 Chevelle. (Also beautifully detailed, but needing the BOP tranny cross-member) The Monogram 70 Buick GSX, though 1/24, might trim down as well. Any way, very cool project! Looking forward to you build.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Close; they went from 115" to 112".  Less than 1/8" in 1/25 scale, so adjusting each end 1/16" would be pretty much imperceptible. On the other hand, the AMT '69 Olds kits (Hurst Olds, Cutlass 442) should be a perfect fit and have the correct BOP details, not to mention much better details than the older Chevelle kits. With prices like they are now, you can probably find one of these cheaper than a Revell '68 Chevelle. (Also beautifully detailed, but needing the BOP tranny cross-member) The Monogram 70 Buick GSX, though 1/24, might trim down as well. Any way, very cool project! Looking forward to you build.

I concur. The 69 Olds 442 chassis is an excellent piece for its level of detail.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Daryl Romain said:

Yes one of the reasons I picked the AMT 69 Chevelle is the glass is the same cut and the and the body dropped right on the 69 running gear. I know it's not going to be perfect but i am hopping for close lol.

On 7/2/2023 at 7:02 PM, bisc63 said:

I used what I had on hand. I'm working on several projects at the same time. Under this '68 is going a '66 dirt track chassis. It fits without any adjustment. Maybe it shouldn't have, due to the 3" difference in the wheelbase, but it did. It is somewhat lacking in detail but I can remedy that somewhat. The '69 Skylark I have on order will get an Amt 70 Chevelle chassis and interior bucket. Again, that's what I have on hand. None of these cars is a 100% stock build. All are modified in some way, so I'm not going to be a real stickler for detail.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

Yes one of the reasons I picked the AMT 69 Chevelle is the glass is the same cut and the and the body dropped right on the 69 running gear. I know it's not going to be perfect but i am hopping for close lol.

The '70 Chevelle glass fits this one well, but is being saved for the '69 Skylark I have on order from Too Many Projects.

Edited by Daryl Romain

1 hour ago, Daryl Romain said:

I used what I had on hand.

Always a good , common-sense approach! For the same reason, I'm in the process of fitting a Lindberg '66 Cutlass chassis under the recent '64 Cutlass from Round2, not because it's the best choice, but because I had a complete chassis in a box of parts I picked up cheap. As for the 3" wheelbase difference on yours, like I said: a sixteenth-inch adjustment at each end is nearly nothing, so go for it! It will look perfectly fine. I was just throwing out options in case you might have had some odd parts stashed like so many of us do. (They accidentally accumulate over the years) Really digging your build, and Buicks in general!

Awesome! I just recently found my Perry's Resin kit from a loooong while ago. It's just about complete except I lost the deck lid and had to scratch build a new one. I'll have to color match the paint for it and the hood. 

I used the AMT '69 Cutlass kits chassis and it works well. Maybe it will be completed soon. Oh by the way, the revell 68/69 Chevelle kits chassis works with it too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Always a good , common-sense approach! For the same reason, I'm in the process of fitting a Lindberg '66 Cutlass chassis under the recent '64 Cutlass from Round2, not because it's the best choice, but because I had a complete chassis in a box of parts I picked up cheap. As for the 3" wheelbase difference on yours, like I said: a sixteenth-inch adjustment at each end is nearly nothing, so go for it! It will look perfectly fine. I was just throwing out options in case you might have had some odd parts stashed like so many of us do. (They accidentally accumulate over the years) Really digging your build, and Buicks in general!

Thanks. I did not have to adjust the wheelbase. Maybe because I used the dirt track chassis? I appreciate the options advice. I collect all American makes but have been building MoPars for the last few years. This is part of a rather ambitious, for me, project. I have two '66s and a '68, '69, '70 Buick Skylark and a '73 Century in the shop. My GM parts stash is taking a beating.

16 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

Looked for one of those for 3 years. Missed on EBAY three or four times. I am waiting on a Robert Burns body and will use Cutlass or Chevelle donor with scratch built interior.

I'm waiting on a '69 body from the same source. Already have the Chevelle donor. If I were starting from scratch I'd use an Olds interior.