Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Chevy Shorty Sedan Delivery

I haven't doing much building lately. I decided to start hacking around with this over this past weekend. I bought a '65 Chevelle wagon body with the body chrome and glass on FleaBay recently. I have had the interior parts from the AMT Cyclone AWB kit for decades. So, how about shortening the wagon body to fit the frame and make it a sedan delivery? 

-----------------------

ibiihbohb.thumb.jpg.066caa938b4f2897847e168c669017ad.jpg

Here's the Cyclone parts, (some clean-up needed) the interior is in two parts as the Cyclone body is designed to be opened up like a funny car (that kit was re-issued not too long ago). I also had the rear ladder bars from the Cyclone kit, will need to be stripped of paint...

---------------------------

ugvkhbho.thumb.jpg.159c8e44a8ad371864faaeec811f6ad9.jpg

Here's the rest of the parts needed, grabbed form the AMT Nova Rat Packer AWB kit.

------------------------------

iybuhb.thumb.jpg.1eb84e2b42437516ccdb687006ea4286.jpg

I massaged the interior tub (after gluing the two parts together) to fit in to the body, taped it to the frame and stuffed it into the body....notice where the rear axle ends up....

-------------------------------

7y987y987y.thumb.jpg.53642202396432661e10763ec77c3aa5.jpg

I scraped the side trim and emblems off of the body. I didn't do a very good job, I made a few gouges in the plastic. Maybe cut it apart around here???? Sure, looks good! 

------------------------

pounhjn.thumb.jpg.d8b3789cc650aca872d8435774ff30ed.jpg

I braced the roof at the front with some sprue pieces to make sure it would hold its shape while it was cut apart...

-----------------------------

uybvuiyyb.thumb.jpg.1a770a47a46dfb78836483dbc3bcea40.jpg

The first cut is the deepest...after a few Sawzall blades later....

-------------------------------------

oiygoybg9uyhb.thumb.jpg.51e695d46b982e4f804ad5e40802117c.jpg

Cut about that much out and put it back together. I didn't want the side window to look too wonky with the slated (now) B pillar. I also didn't want the door to be too long....

------------------------------

piuhioubh.thumb.jpg.322cd6e0817826dd2a88e58b1137f920.jpg

I added a strip of Evergreen 0.30"x 0.30" for the rear of the door line (not exactly square now)....a new door line will be scribed down from that point. Notice that the rear wheel well will need to be moved back (frame is peeking out) while the front of the frame will be stretched an RCH or two ahead of the firewall...

That's where I am after a weekend's worth of work. I plan to fill in the rear side windows to make it a sedan delivery. I'm keeping the build in the style of these olde AMT altered wheelbase kits, in other words, stupid simple. This is just a build to mess around with...another excuse to cut something up. 

More later....

-RRR

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Thanks, don't hold your breath, though. Shelved for now.... -RRR

Nope, I'm good. I have a victim in mind.... OK, it's the Dodge Magnum. You dragged it out of me 🥴. They should have made it a 2 door to begin with....