Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Boyd Coddington kits

Anybody know what happened to the tools for them? There were 6 in the line, Chezoom, Aluma-Coupe, Boyd's Coupster, Boyd's Vantastic, Boyd's Hauler, and Boyd's Smoothster. I know Lindberg got the 37's (Vantastic, Coupster, and Smoothster) as they kept reissuing them and reside with Round 2, but I heard Testors/Rustoluem corp kept the others like the '06 Charger tool. They also reportedly have the Johan tools they repoped in the '90s like the '72 Cuda, '70 Olds 442, AMC Rebel and AMX, and the Mercury Comet. Hopefully Round 2 has or can acquire them, as the Testors side aren't doing much aside rehashing paint schemes to make a buck.

Edited by RickRollerLT1

Last I saw was the Boyds Smoothster issued by Lindberg in 2007 and called 1937 Custom Ford Convertible, they also issued the Vantastic as 1938 Custom Ford Van, so if Lindberg had the tooling for them it would be at Round 2 now.
The old Jo-Han tooling is missing from action since Testors did their last run with them, either Testors got left over kit stock from X-El/Seville/Jo-Han or had someone else doing the molding because I don't believe Testors ever did any modling themselves, and they issued kits originally from many other model manufacturers like IMC, Italeri etc,
The Jo-Han kits they did was the 1971 Barracuda, the 1969 Rambler Hurst S/C, the 1970 Oldsmobile 442, the 1969 AMX and the 1971 Mercury Comet, and as I said, the tooling for these are missing since then and nobody seems to know where they are.

Bear in mind too that there's Snap and Full Detail variations of the Chezoom, Aluma-Coupe and I think the Hauler too?

I haven't done a TONNE of research, but was the Vantastic actually anything to do with Boyd?  Showrods lists it as being designed by Dave Carlock of AMT...was there ever actually a 1:1?

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/vantastic.html

35 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Bear in mind too that there's Snap and Full Detail variations of the Chezoom, Aluma-Coupe and I think the Hauler too?

I haven't done a TONNE of research, but was the Vantastic actually anything to do with Boyd?  Showrods lists it as being designed by Dave Carlock of AMT...was there ever actually a 1:1?

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/vantastic.html

Yes, the Hauler was issued as both a full kit and a simplified curbside.

Red truck on the box is the Van Halen version and is full detail. Yellow truck on the box is the curbside kit.

Would love to see this one reissued, as it is far superior to the AMT kit. It's 1/24 scale though, which seems to annoy a lot of people.

• Like 1