Model Cars Magazine Forum

Agora Mercedes 1955 300 SL Gullwing 1/8

Brudda

On 9/30/2023 at 2:21 PM, jaftygas said:

Hey Bruce, that is some really incredible bodywork.  I really want one of these! 

Thank you jaftygas. I have finished a few of these large kits and have to say , the agora cobra 427 is the best kit. The Muira is the most challenging. This kit , so far is really nice. These kits are alot of money. Most complain about the lack of detail. I say to those people,  build a model factory hiro kit. Plenty of detail on those. These kits are big and need extra LOVE if you need more detail, people complain about price for the lack of detail. If you’re into big scale, these are the only game in town. Since these and mfh kits are out of most peoples reach, it is a very exclusive club to be in. Hope you can build this cool kit. I would suggest that you buy the kit when it’s available as a complete kit, Agora is not going anywhere so I would not mind to buy monthly but some people like to have the whole kit. Thank you for the interest.

1 hour ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

You Master Modelers are killing me with your incredible skills and gorgeous builds. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Rattlecan Dan. Sir I am just a modeler. Not a master. Wish I was , you guys are the ones I’m learning from. 

Set the body on the frame. Too bad the frame is going to be buried . I am fitting doors hood and trunk. Do not have to do anything on that as Mark must have adjusted everything. He gave me an extra body to get a jump on the build. Like bodywork etc. it’s going to be very nice black with the red interior. And polished wheels. Picking up a case for the big stuff today. Need a central place to put these big boys. 

IMG_9377.jpeg

IMG_9375.jpeg

IMG_9374.jpeg

IMG_9371.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Received more parts. Stripped the rear wheels, sanded and polished. Put the rear shocks on. The brake lines also. The body sits on the frame nicely. The bodywork is comming along . I’m sanding and blocking all the time. Till I’m satisfied with the preparation. Painted one of the hoods, the result is very nice. Will be painting the body soon. I just bought a Honda element with very low miles for an extremely low price. . I’m repainting it. So that’s taking most of my time. Here is the Mercedes so far. IMG_9510.thumb.jpeg.66c55e3a8edea0cfdeafdac3d00a83cb.jpeg

IMG_9512.jpeg

IMG_9511.jpeg

IMG_9509.jpeg

Bruce mentioned in his first post that Agora modellers are an exclusive club to be in along with MFH modellers.

Agora had a stand at IPMS UK Scale Modelworld this year and I have to say that the models on display were very impressive. I particularly liked the AC Cobra. Also what caught my eye was the James Bond Aston Martin DB5 they had on display. It depicted the car as seen in Skyfall and later 007 Films with the gatling type machine guns in the front wings.

De Agostini did a Bond DB5 a few years back but not sure if it was based on the original car in the Connery era films.

As far as being an exclusive club, with the kits retailing at about £1200.00 each, I am inclined to agree!   Nice if you can afford it though!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

12 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Bruce mentioned in his first post that Agora modellers are an exclusive club to be in along with MFH modellers.

Agora had a stand at IPMS UK Scale Modelworld this year and I have to say that the models on display were very impressive. I particularly liked the AC Cobra. Also what caught my eye was the James Bond Aston Martin DB5 they had on display. It depicted the car as seen in Skyfall and later 007 Films with the gatling type machine guns in the front wings.

Dr Agostini did a Bond DB5 a few years back but not sure if it was based on the original car in the Connery era films.

As far as being an exclusive club, with the kits retailing at about £1200.00 each, I am inclined to agree!   Nice if you can afford it though!

Hello Noel. I am very lucky as I have a friend who worked for DeAgostini models. My friend had an unassembled 1/10 Toyota 2000 GT model from DeAgostini laying around. He said it’s in the way , you can have it. So I took it , built it and things took off from there. It was all over the internet so he gave me another kit. A Red Bull F1 car. That did pretty good, so I built the ford GT. Etc.etc. Liam was at DeAgostini at this time and let my friend give me models to build . So I have some big kits . Still have a few from DeAgostini to build. They are in my shed. Next , Liam and a partner made Agora models. So now my friend works for Agora and I receive kits to build. I do not get to pick, they assign models to me. I would love to build the Aston for sure , but did not get picked for that. I would love to build the jag convertible but did not get picked for that either. Although i did get picked for the Mercedes gull wing. That’s pretty cool. I build them and get to keep them. I do have a few credentials. My occupation is an auto body technician. I have BMW certifications and ford f150 aluminum and ford GT certs also. Oh yes I almost forgot, corvette certs. And I did receive a special award at the IPMS Vegas Nationals for best Shelby. Second and third places at the nationals. This does help out Liam and Mark. Anyway this is a brief history of how I started in big scale. Here is a pic of the Toyota that started it all. 

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

Things fell in perfectly for you there Bruce to enable you to build those lovely kits.

Bruce.  I too have had some success over here at IPMS UK Scale Modelworld with my scratchbuilt Napier Railton getting a Gold medal in one of the civilian vehicles classes this year. Agora had their stand at the show right in front of the competition area  And yes, I would dearly love to build one of those kits for Agora like you do and guess that many other car modellers too would also like to have your good fortune.

Your builds are very impressive, so good luck with your future builds for Agora. They are very interesting builds to follow on this forum. It is nice of you to share the builds on here of car kits that I can only aspire to and admire from afar.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

4 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Things fell in perfectly for you there Bruce to enable you to build those lovely kits.

Bruce.  I too have had some success over here at IPMS UK Scale Modelworld with my scratchbuilt Napier Railton getting a Gold medal in one of the civilian vehicles classes this year. Agora had their stand at the show right in front of the competition area  And yes, I would dearly love to build one of those kits for Agora like you do and guess that many other car modellers too would also like to have your good fortune.

Your builds are very impressive, so good luck with your future builds for Agora. They are very interesting builds to follow on this forum. It is nice of you to share the builds on here of car kits that I can only aspire to and admire from afar.

Thank you Noel. And I hear that the IPMS clubs in the UK are the best ever. My bucket list includes a visit to the Telford event, you guys can really build models.