Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo 8C 1933 Le Mans winner

Work on the front grill and headlamp assembly. The kit has a race number decal for the grille but I don't trust it can be made to conform so I decided to paint the number instead. I photocopied the decal and used that as a template to cut the number on masking tape, painted the number & black washed the grille after that.

The headlamp covers are solid resin pieces and I wanted to imitate the clear red covers used by the period race Alfas. After primer I coated a mix of Vallejo cooper and dark red, then later a thick coat of Tamiya clear red.

Alfa wip44.jpg

Alfa wip45.jpg

Alfa wip46.jpg

Alga wip47.jpg

Alfa wip48.jpg

Alfa wip49.jpg

Alfa wip50.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Work on the front grill and headlamp assembly. The kit has a race number decal for the grille but I don't trust it can be made to conform so I decided to paint the number instead. I photocopied the decal and used that as a template to cut the number on masking tape, painted the number & black washed the grille after that.

The headlamp covers are solid resin pieces and I wanted to imitate the clear red covers used by the period race Alfas. After primer I coated a mix of Vallejo cooper and dark red, then later a thick coat of Tamiya clear red.

Alfa wip44.jpg

Alfa wip45.jpg

Alfa wip46.jpg

Alga wip47.jpg

Alfa wip48.jpg

Alfa wip49.jpg

Alfa wip50.jpg

Beautiful work, Pierre! Grille looks excellent.

Pierre, you can tell from the second to the bottom photo that Hanjo posted on the first page of the thread that the paint was not glossy at all. And it looks like you nailed the grille as well. We can expect nothing but greatness from your bench.

This is definitely the way to go, Pierre - painting the grille number and then treat the grille accordingly - looks very convincing! A decal on fine mesh or fine ribs like here certainly would not work.                                     I'm always amazed how you manage to achieve a fine surface with brush painting (smoother than I do with spray cans)

23 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Pierre, you can tell from the second to the bottom photo that Hanjo posted on the first page of the thread that the paint was not glossy at all. And it looks like you nailed the grille as well. We can expect nothing but greatness from your bench.

Thanks Mark. Early in the planning stage I decided to go the low/no gloss route as it appearrs more period correct to me. I want to add a bit of race weathering as tracks of the era were not pristine clean as today and cars spitted oil all over. How to achieve that is the big question... 

18 hours ago, absmiami said:

Super

you’ve built a model while im screwing around with engine bolts …

Engine on mine not started...kind of staying away  as I have no clue what to do with it. Watching what you do with your's and might copy a few bits.

I need an engine for dummies tutorial.

31 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thanks Mark. Early in the planning stage I decided to go the low/no gloss route as it appearrs more period correct to me. I want to add a bit of race weathering as tracks of the era were not pristine clean as today and cars spitted oil all over. How to achieve that is the big question... 

I'm sure if anybody can do it, it will be you. You are a master of weathering.

4 hours ago, absmiami said:

strangely enough - the distributor on the cyl head casting is exactly where it is supposed to be ...

post a closeup of the cyl head casting and the supercharger casting and I'll make some suggestions ...

Thanks Andy, here's one more ref pic and 2 of my parts. The distributor is molded into the upper engine and sits in the middle of the head (lateral) where it should more to the right side. Unless I got something wrong distributor surgery will be needed.

Alfa engine ref3.jpg

Alfa engine ref4.jpg

Alfa engine ref5.jpg

Trying something new. 0.56mm solder balls to simulate the snaps on the cockpit tarp. Small indents were molded in already so I gust glued them in. I lost a few along the way but no worries, that little bottle contains 2500 of them.

Alfa wip53.jpg

Alfa wip54.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 2

Yup - i see - gotta carefully remove the distr to the side of the V in order to place the plug loom - worth doing - plug wires no larger than .013 - and you could add some cam cover bolts - drill and place some .06 aluminum tube to house the bolts and maybe try some .04 mm solder balls to depict the cam cover bolts ?  Cheaper than the metal or 3d bolts I’m using in the tipo B engine - gotta get me a jar of those tiny balls / insert joke here / Amazon ??

8 hours ago, absmiami said:

Yup - i see - gotta carefully remove the distr to the side of the V in order to place the plug loom - worth doing - plug wires no larger than .013 - and you could add some cam cover bolts - drill and place some .06 aluminum tube to house the bolts and maybe try some .04 mm solder balls to depict the cam cover bolts ?  Cheaper than the metal or 3d bolts I’m using in the tipo B engine - gotta get me a jar of those tiny balls / insert joke here / Amazon ??

Thanks for the advice Andy. Adding to my to do list for the engine. Yup, Amazon, $10 CDN including delivery. 2500 of 'em in a jar. That's a lot of balls!     Drum roll?

16 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Trying something new. 0.56mm solder balls to simulate the snaps on the cockpit tarp. Small indents were molded in already so I gust glued them in. I lost a few along the way but no worries, that little bottle contains 2500 of them.

Those look fantastic! I'm really enjoying this project, Pierre.  I'm going to have to get some of the solder balls. There are situations they would be very useful in soldering, too.

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

Those look fantastic! I'm really enjoying this project, Pierre.  I'm going to have to get some of the solder balls. There are situations they would be very useful in soldering, too.

Thanks Daniel. I made a typo, they're actually 0.65mm but there is a range of size available, from 0.2 to about 1 mm. They might also work out pretty good to simulate rivets.

• Like 1

Taking the plunge on engine work...always something I am not comfortable doing. The kit part limited to start with. The cam covers ave very narrow relative to reference pictures so there is no room to add the fasteners. I'll try to imbed posts on the sides on which PE fasteners will eventually sit on. This will in no way be accurate but hopefully more presentable.

Other fixes & adds? Relocating the distributor, ignition wires, coil, engine coolant take off and possibly a bit more detailing if phase one works out. If phase 1 fails?  that's it for the little engine...⚰️

Alfa wip55.jpg

Alfa wip56.jpg

Alfa wip57.jpg

Alfa wip58.jpg

Alfa wip59.jpg

Alfa wip60.jpg

Alfa wip61.jpg

Alfa wip62.jpg

Alfa wip63.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard