Model Cars Magazine Forum

Donor kit for a Daytona Cobra ?

I have a few Cobra kits in the stash and I have a resin Daytona body arriving soon (I hope)  I know the Daytona has a different air inlet/exit than the Roadster with the big difference in the radiator mounting. What would be a good donor kit ? I know the chassis will need some modification.

Thanks 

download.jpg.d06e9790979cbbc38c7f35d0b8197eab.jpgFFR-Gen3-Coupe-B6.jpg.fb8736ac82b795ef9124405e6899c10e.jpg

50 minutes ago, Force said:

The Daytona Coupe was built on the 260-289 AC Cobra chassis, not the 427.
So you could use the AMT or Revell small block Cobra chassis.

Would the Chassis from that Couger show car kit work? The one the IMC made back in the 60's and Lindberg ended up with it?  I think the real car was built on an early Cobra chassis. 

Not my picture from the web. 

Lindberg 1/25 1963 Ford Cougar II Concept Car, 72162

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Would the Chassis from that Couger show car kit work? The one the IMC made back in the 60's and Lindberg ended up with it?  I think the real car was built on an early Cobra chassis. 

That chassis WOULD work however it's important to not that because of the compromises made for the "working" steering, a lot of kitbashing or scratchbuilding needs to take place in order to get the front suspension anywhere close to accurate. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Force said:

The Daytona Coupe was built on the 260-289 AC Cobra chassis, not the 427.
So you could use the AMT or Revell small block Cobra chassis.

Thanks I have 2 or 3 289 kits in my stash  Not sure how much of a problem it will be but the body is 1/24th and the kits are 1/25th

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Since the body is 1/24 scale, and you'll be scratch building much of the structure anyway, I'd look at available kits with an eye towards which one has the most suitable suspension parts.

Thinking about using the Fujimi kit, I know it is a 427 car but maybe can start with that

On 8/4/2023 at 10:16 PM, Jon Haigwood said:

Thinking about using the Fujimi kit, I know it is a 427 car but maybe can start with that

It depends on how accurate you want it to be.
Only 6 Daytona Coupe's were built in 1964-1965, Chassis number: CSX2286 / CSX2287 / CSX2299 / CSX2300 / CSX2601 / CSX2602 and they were built on small block Cobra chassis.
The 427 Cobra has a different suspension setup with coilovers instead of the transverse leafs the small block Cobras had, and the Daytona Coupe has the transverse leafs and the chassis is slightly different.

A guy in the town I live in built a replica some years ago and he built it on a 427 style chassis with coil overs so it will for sure work.

IMG_0496.thumb.JPG.e7738a317987970f2bbf496f9692621a.JPG

IMG_2101.thumb.JPG.62579bda8bc1fcbe67047815e4286067.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 5:55 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Yes,

the IMC/Testors/Lindberg chassis works fine. There are several differences the coupe has in the engine compartment. Mr. Google is your friend.