Model Cars Magazine Forum

'36 Ford coupe from Monogram

JollySipper

Yea, sorry about that, Carl man.... We'll get this going in the right direction now, though! Progress for now is primer on everything except the fenders and body. I need to do some putty on those still. I'll wait to spray any color coats until I can do them all the same day........

SDC10700.JPG.45d3055a1b1ccf47fe87e000dc73dce8.JPG

On 8/15/2023 at 4:48 PM, JollySipper said:

Hey, Guys! I'm kinda making some headway with this one....... It's the 'Car Show' release of the '36 Ford. You can build it as a coupe or convertible. After a few thought processes ( LoL ) I decided to go with the coupe variant....... Just getting a quick mock up going! The wheels are from the AMT '56 Fairlane and the tires are '56 T-Bird parts.

SDC10663.JPG.76a17111438fb007c51d0a66db48434b.JPG

SDC10664.JPG.74f1b94a92af677c7e20e412f6bbb620.JPG

I can already tell that this one will need a bunch of massaging to get the main body parts to work better together......

Anyway, here's to another project!

I built this kit many years ago in the 1960s. I believe it was Monogram as back then I was partial to Monogram, JoHan and AMT. Revell, IMC and MPC were on my "maybe" list.

Hey, Guys! Just wanted to show you all how I dealt with the seams on this body......... I've done this before on a few small seams and it turned out pretty good. I just used some pva glue to fill 'em. Kinda like what a house painter would use caulk for! I'll let this dry for some time, and I'm sure it will shrink, so I may have to go back over the worst of it......

SDC10701.JPG.993b0c582b5fa57d324060dc8a3693c8.JPG

22 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Just wanted to show that I've now got everything in primer! I'll maybe sand everything this evening, then possibly spray some paint tomorrow..... We'll see!

SDC10703.JPG.6e2031ac10fbe6f03255e445e306909e.JPG

Thanks for letting me post, fellas!

Hey, TJ, this is your thread, man, you can post anything you darn well please. And we thank you for keeping it interesting! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I did get some blushing with the color coat, but the clear I'll be using isn't affected too much by humidity........ if I waited until the weather was less humid, I'd have to wait another month or so....... 

Yeah I get it, TJ. I'm showing 53% here now and I have some priming to do. It's OK for that so I'm going to go ahead with that. Does Pacific Green look green to you or is it more like teal? What are you using for a clear?

Edited by customline
Corrected RH%

It's more of a teal color....... I'll try to get some outside pics so the color will show better. The clear is DupliColor's 1K in the big can, which may be the last can of it that I buy, as I have some troubles working with it. I can't shoot the clear today, as they mowed our lawns today, so there's debris flying around............

I really am thankful that y'all look in on this! :D

3 hours ago, JollySipper said:

It's more of a teal color....... I'll try to get some outside pics so the color will show better. The clear is DupliColor's 1K in the big can, which may be the last can of it that I buy, as I have some troubles working with it. I can't shoot the clear today, as they mowed our lawns today, so there's debris flying around............

I really am thankful that y'all look in on this! :D

There's only one season for outside spraying in this area. I have about 7 cars needing color coats. I know I won't get half of them painted before it gets cold. 😕 

On 9/5/2023 at 6:41 PM, JollySipper said:

Whew! I wet sanded everything that goes body color earlier today, and was able to get two coats of the Pacific Green on it all.... Hopefully I can get some clear on it tomorrow.

SDC10710.JPG.a1230a170bbdf96698d2a6e1371743f4.JPG

Looks really nice in your color choice!

• Like 1

Guys, I was able to get a coat of the 1K clear on everything today! I tried to snap some pics outside to try and capture the color better.... Don't tell anyone my secret parts-holding technique!

SDC10711.JPG.b0f9c1e1df3b0a3638857b53cd871f50.JPG

SDC10720.JPG.0416ba1cea67821555415e50242276c3.JPG

I'll have to wait a few days before I can do much else.......... We're getting close to assembly, though!

• Like 3

YEAHHHHHHHH MAAAAAAAAN!!!!. Now I see the color. Beauty! Our RH went down to 45% this afternoon so I got some paint done too. 😎. Nice work, TJ. ! That's going to polish up nice.

Your secret parts holding technique is a lot like mine ☺️

Edited by customline
Added text

7 hours ago, Holdon Coupe said:

Looking good so far. Today I tried Toothpaste for a cutting compound and it worked a treat. 

I like that too. I use an Arm & Hammer one... just what I use anyway. I have some Meguairs polishing compound but wind up going with toothpaste as of late.

• Like 1