Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Hasegawa, Nissan Fairlady Z (Z32) 300ZX Twin Turbo 2by2 (1989)

martinfan5

5 hours ago, fumi said:

Nice, but I will probably wait for the kouki.

What year would you consider the start of the kouki period for this car? I know it's used for the Z31 but I haven't seen it used in regards to the Z32.

In any case, this looks like it will be a nice kit! I'm assuming it's a curbside since there's no engine pic, but it's nice to see the window masks and taillight mask decal! It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Tamiya kit, though that one is a 2+0 version and not the 2+2 like this one.

spacer.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Really happy to see Hasegawa tackling this one in its announcements. They have really been hitting out of the park lately with their car releases so this ought to be another joy to build.

I guess they figured there's enough of a market for the 2+2 given that it has never been kitted before. Be interesting to see what they make of this over the long term considering the "2+0" 300ZX is still in production at Tamiya.

4 hours ago, Jordan White said:

What year would you consider the start of the kouki period for this car? I know it's used for the Z31 but I haven't seen it used in regards to the Z32.

In Japanese publications and web sites they are defined as follow:

1989-1993 zenki: original model

1993-1998 chuki: new rear wing, HICAS changed from hydraulic to electric, brake calipers changed from aluminium to steel, boost gauge eliminated for the TT model, 2-seater model lost the T-bar roof

1998-2000 kouki: new bumper and aero, xenon headlights, return of the boost gauge, stiffened body, new sport suspension for the Version R

• Like 3

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I guess they figured there's enough of a market for the 2+2 given that it has never been kitted before. Be interesting to see what they make of this over the long term considering the "2+0" 300ZX is still in production at Tamiya.

It has created quite a sensation among Japanese modellers as the 2by2 widely outsold the 2-seater in Japan, and they can now recreate the car they or their relatives owned back then.

I can already foresee standard version of zenki/chuki/zenki, and the Fuji Speedway safety car.  Substituting the wheels in the chuki kit with the kouki BBS would yield the BBS edition.  The Tochigi prefecture highway patrol car is also possible.  Then there are the resin wing and front lip special editions, as well as the various decal special editions.

Edited by fumi
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, gasman said:

For those curious with some minor trimming the left hand drive dash from the Tamiya kit will fit. 

You'd also have to (in theory at least) change out the center console - so the shift and e-brake handle are on the LHD positions. As well as modify/swap out the windshield scuttle panel and source LHD wiper arms - the arms would be in the Tamiya kit, but Hasegawa molded the scuttle panel RHD specific with the defroster vents.

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

You'd also have to (in theory at least) change out the center console - so the shift and e-brake handle are on the LHD positions. As well as modify/swap out the windshield scuttle panel and source LHD wiper arms - the arms would be in the Tamiya kit, but Hasegawa molded the scuttle panel RHD specific with the defroster vents.

The center console is the same in Right and Left Hand Drive cars. The Cowl will take some work to change, 

13 minutes ago, gasman said:

The center console is the same in Right and Left Hand Drive cars. The Cowl will take some work to change, 

Ahh so it is. Should have checked the Tamiya instructions first. Well at least with it being a curbside you don't have to worry about swapping the battery and brake master cylinder.

This is great news.   I've picked up one of each of the 1st generation RX-7 kits recently tooled by Hasegawa. They are, at least to me, impressive.  I'm sure this kit will be just as good.

If only they'd add RHD and LHD interiors..